Rose Syrup and What to Do with It

Bottle of homemade rose syrup with pink rose.

A deliciously fragrant and colourful rose syrup that captures the spirit of summer. If you have access to highly scented unsprayed roses, follow this super simple recipe. The syrup keeps really well and has many uses.

I’m often asked for my rose syrup recipe and although it’s on the blog, it’s hidden in a summer cocktail post, so is hard to find. As it’s such a glorious concoction and summer is the best season to make and use it, time for its very own moment in the spotlight, methinks.

Rose Petals

A few years ago as I was savouring the deep red colour and scent of the only rose we have in our garden, I was inspired to capture these qualities along with the flavour by doing something other than rose sugar, crystallised roses or pot pourri. I’d made elderlfower cordial and various other syrups any number of times, so why not try rose as a syrup?

Red Rose - Perfect for making rose syrup.

Rose Syrup Uses

I’m so glad I did. It’s a great way to capture the very essence of rose and can be used in any number of ways. As a cordial, it makes a refreshing drink with both still and sparkling water. Just add ice. It makes a nice addition to cocktails and works fabulously well with fruit of all kinds, but particularly summer berries. Try macerating strawberries in it. This is one of my favourite things to do with this luscious cordial. It produces a beautifully vibrant tart floral concoction, particularly if you add a little lemon juice.

You can use rose syrup in preserves, baking or drizzled over ice-cream. Whip up some dairy cream or cashew cream with a touch of rose syrup. it’s one of the best things ever. There are plenty of recipes using the syrup to be found further down this post.

Rose Syrup. How to make it and what to do with it.

How Much Rose Syrup To Make?

I make rose syrup every year now. I have to adapt the quantities according to how many roses I get. This year my rose, which is not ideally placed and is in a shady corner, produced only one flower. The quantities given in the recipe below are for one large flower, but they can easily be scaled up if there are more roses available. Lucky you. The syrup keeps well in the fridge, but can also be frozen in plastic water bottles.

Recipes Using Rose Syrup

Rose Syrup – The Recipe

Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Rose Syrup

A deliciously fragrant and colourful rose syrup that captures the spirit of summer and can be used in many ways.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Course: Drinks
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keyword: cordial, rose, summer, syrup
Servings: 1 350 ml bottle
Author: Choclette

• Petals from a large deep red scented rose - unsprayed
  • 200 g golden granulated or golden caster sugar
  • 200 ml water

• Place sugar and water in a pan and place over a low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
  • Add the rose petals and leave uncovered to just about simmer for half an hour.
  • Strain the syrup into a sterilised bottle, seal and leave to cool.

Notes

This recipe can be scaled up according to how many roses you have and how much syrup you want to make.
Can keep in the fridge for up to a year.
Freezes well.

Other Recipes Using Fresh Rose Petals

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make my rose syrup recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Rose Syrup. PIN IT.

Rose Syrup Recipe. How to make it & what to do with it. Can be added to flavour cakes, desserts, drinks and more. A true taste of summer. #rosesyrup #roserecipes #floralrecipe #cordial #drink #roses

Linkies

This post isn’t about shopping, although I bought the sugar at our local co-op, but the rose was sourced very locally indeed – from our garden. No food miles required. So, I’m hoping Elizabeth will be lenient and accept this rose syrup for Shop Local at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. As roses are now in season, I’m also sending this rose syrup off to Ren Behan for Simple and in Season.

1. anukampa

24th June 2015 at 10:24 am

wow…we use rose syrup in lot of desserts in India.

24th June 2015 at 1:52 pm

Ooh, I bet you do. I’d be interested to know how you make it?

2. Andrea @ The Petite Cook

24th June 2015 at 10:31 am

What a wonderful idea, I’m so curious to try it on ice cream, sounds delish!!

24th June 2015 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Andrea, let me know what you think if you do get to try it on ice-cream – or anything else.

3. Angie@Angie's Recipes

24th June 2015 at 10:51 am

I have never tried making rose syrup…this is such a great idea.

24th June 2015 at 1:54 pm

Angie, it is one of my favourite things to make and to have on hand – an exotic taste of summer.

4. Helen

24th June 2015 at 12:25 pm

It looks so easy! I’d expected it to be some complicated process, somehow. We don’t have any roses, so I’ll have to see if I can ‘borrow’ some from a friend…

24th June 2015 at 1:50 pm

Good idea Helen, I’m sure someone will be happy to donate a rose – just make sure they haven’t been sprayed with anything horrid.

5. Jacqueline Meldrum

24th June 2015 at 3:27 pm

I’ve never used it before. Well I did make my own as a wee girl with water and smooching the petals about, but there was probably still bugs and everything in there. I thought I was making perfume lol! My parents rose bushes didn’t stand a chance.

24th June 2015 at 4:40 pm

Haha, sounds like it’s may be time for a 2nd attempt Jac.

6. Nayna Kanabar

24th June 2015 at 10:24 pm

I love rose syrup and use it a lot but always buy it, I will book mark and try your recipe.

25th June 2015 at 8:00 am

I’ve never seen rose syrup for sale Nayna, but good to see there is another fan out there 😉

7. cheri

25th June 2015 at 1:58 am

Wow! this looks fabulous, especially all the ways that you could use it.

25th June 2015 at 8:04 am

Thanks Cheri, the possibilities are endless and just a little can add a subtle flavour to fruit which isn’t always obvious.

8. Galina V

25th June 2015 at 10:47 am

I love rose syrup, haven’t made any yet this year, though just made a batch of strawberry and rose petal jam. Such a beautiful colour, and must have a fab aroma too. I can smell it from here. 🙂

25th June 2015 at 6:54 pm

Ooh that jam does sound good Galina. Rose and berries make for a fabulous combination.

9. Alida

25th June 2015 at 1:52 pm

Rose syrup what a nice idea. I have never tried it and I love the idea.
    Your blog is getting better and better, I love your new photography and the design of your site.

25th June 2015 at 6:56 pm

Thank you Alida, how lovely of you to let me know. I don’t get much in the way of feedback, so this has put a very big smile on my face 😀

10. Jenny Davies

26th June 2015 at 1:52 pm

The minute I saw this recipe, I knew I had to do it. When we came home from shopping this morning our Scent-Imental striped rose has lost two blooms that were in a blowsy heap of perfect petals on the grass. I now have the most perfectly delicious syrup possible. Thank you!

11. Glamorous Glutton

26th June 2015 at 8:14 pm

I love rose syrup, if only I had a rose that didn’t have to be sprayed. GG

26th June 2015 at 9:11 pm

Oh do you really spray your roses GG? I guess that’s probably why mine never look as good as my grandfathers used to!

27th June 2015 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never made rose syrup, sadly I don’t have a nice dark red rose, only pink ones. Love the look of it and I’m sure it will be featuring in recipes soon.

28th June 2015 at 11:02 am

If your roses are fragrant Janice, do give them a try. You’ll have a pretty pink syrup, and the flavour should be good.

13. the caked crusader

28th June 2015 at 2:37 pm

I love your presentation in those beautiful glasses!

29th June 2015 at 10:29 am

Thanks CC, although I’m a bit lost as to which glasses you are referring to.

14. Fiona @ London-Unattached

28th June 2015 at 6:31 pm

How beautiful. And how I envy you living in Cornwall. I will just have to cultivate my garden (as they say). Meanwhile, what a great little recipe – I wonder what other flowers it would work well with?

29th June 2015 at 10:33 am

Thanks Fiona. As you know, I love living in Cornwall and feel lucky to be back home again. As for the syrup, I’ve tried elderflower and lilac with good results, but rose is my favourite.

15. Fiona @ London-Unattached

28th June 2015 at 6:34 pm

This is a second comment because I can’t tell what has happened to the first. It looks lovely Choclette…and simple enough even for me. Now, I just need to find the rose!

29th June 2015 at 10:34 am

I got your first comment Fiona, but very happy to have a second 🙂

16. Sarah

28th June 2015 at 7:38 pm

I’ve never tried rose syrup before. new project for me! love the idea oaf it drizzled over ice-cream. yum.

29th June 2015 at 10:35 am

It’s so easy Sarah, all you need to do is find a well scented unsprayed rose or two.

17. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

29th June 2015 at 4:44 pm

I love love love rose syrup and have a tonne of ideas of what to do with it and now you have given me a tonne more.

29th June 2015 at 7:48 pm

Hooray for roses, they have such a wonderful flavour.

18. Kate - gluten free alchemist

29th June 2015 at 9:31 pm

Oh my Choclette! Wonderful!! It has never even crossed my mind to make rose syrup…… I think the idea of soaking roses brings back memories of nasty childhood perfume experiments. Now this sounds far more appealing. I am wondering what other flowers could be used? I will definitely be giving it a go. Does it matter what type/colour of rose you use and is it better to have a strongly scented variety?

29th June 2015 at 9:55 pm

Ah Kate you need to make this quickly and get rid of nasty experimental perfume recipes. You can use any scented rose, the more deeply perfumed the better. Colour is less of an issue, but if you can get dark red, you’ll get a better colour. Also make sure they are unsprayed.

• Mia

1st September 2019 at 7:11 am

Hi! I was wondering if I could use dried rose petals, the kind used to make teas and infusions. I don’t have roses nor I know people who have, and even though I could buy them, I’m not sure if they will be safe to eat (plus they’re expensive!). But I can easily find dried rose petal and they’re cheap, but not sure if it will be the same. What do you think?

1st September 2019 at 1:16 pm

Hi Mia – Hmmm. I’m not sure it would work terribly well with dried rose petals. But having said that, I’d also say it’s worth giving it a go. Just reduce the quantities so you don’t waste anything and make sure you’re rose petals are well scented. If it works, you can make a larger batch. And if you do try, please let me know how it goes/

19. Eileen Teo

12th July 2015 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe. In singapore, we often buy rose syrup and mix it with water to drink like squash. I love it so much!

13th July 2015 at 1:46 pm

Ah yes, I do that too Eileen. I’ve never seen it for sale over here.

20. Ren Behan

17th July 2015 at 9:58 pm

Winning recipe! Thank you for linking to Simple and in Season. Pinned and the recipe round up is now live. Hope you like the book! Ren

18th July 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much Ren, really really pleased to have been picked. And I love the book 🙂

21. Elizabeth

14th August 2015 at 8:41 am

That is such a stunner of a rose, and what a super way to cook with it – beautiful! Look at that colour and I bet it smells divine!! Thank you for sharing with the #ShopLocalChallenge!

14th August 2015 at 10:29 am

It’s a lovely rose Elizabeth with a powerful flavour and making it into rose syrup means I can enjoy it all year round 🙂

22. Mary

23rd July 2016 at 3:34 am

This recipe sounds wonderful. I’m no gardener so am off to badger my ‘green-fingered’ friends for some unsprayed roses. Can’t wait for Summer!!

23rd July 2016 at 9:15 am

It’s one of my favourite staples Mary. Just about to make some plum and rose ice lollies with it now. Hope you manage to find a good rose or two.

23. Nam

14th June 2017 at 4:45 pm

Stumbled across your website & love the many ways you’ve used Rose Syrup, l will try it in a Victoria Sponge this summer. Rose Syrup takes me back to childhood summers, when my mum would give us Rose Syrup Milkshakes, sometimes with just milk & other times with ice cream added. If anyone wonders where to buy it you can find it any Asian grocery stores & also in Asda & Tesco, in the Asian or World foods aisle

14th June 2017 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Nam. Rose is the taste of summer for me and it goes so well with summer berries and other fruit.