Rhubarb White Chocolate Ice-cream with Rose

Rhubarb, rose and white chocolate ice-cream in a bowl.

Ice Cream | 14th July 2013 | By

An easy to make no churn ice cream which is quite sweet, so it works particularly well with tart fruit like rhubarb. The flavours of rose and rhubarb marry well and the white chocolate brings it all together. I bring you the most delightful rhubarb, rose and white chocolate ice-cream.

Since discovering the oh-so-easy and oh-so-delicious no churn ice-cream last year, I have made it a number of times. Each time I’ve used tart fruit to balance out the sweetness of the condensed milk.

With my cool We Should Cocoa theme very much in mind, I wanted to make some ice cream for my chocolate themed dinner party. My mother had presented me with a bunch of rhubarb stalks from her garden the day before, so it had to be rhubarb and white chocolate ice-cream. As there was also a Middle Eastern theme running through the meal, I added some of my homemade rose syrup to the mix for a touch of oriental mystery.

The flavour was excellent, with the rhubarb acting as piquant foil to the sweet and unctuous creamy body.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this easy rhubarb, rose and white ice-cream, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Rhubarb, Rose and White Chocolate Ice-Cream – The Recipe

Tub of Homemade Rhubarb Ripple Ice-Cream
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Rhubarb, Rose and White Chocolate Ice Cream

This is an easy to make no churn ice cream which is quite sweet, so it works particularly well with tart fruit like rhubarb.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Keyword: ice cream, no-churn, rhubarb
Servings: 10 people

• 220 g rhubarb sticks – washed and trimmed
  • 4 tbsp rose syrup (elderflower would be good too)
  • 200 g condensed milk
  • 600 g double cream
  • 80 g white chocolate

• Chop the rhubarb and place in a pan with the rose syrup. Simmer until soft (about 7 minutes). Stir until semi mashed-up. Leave to cool.
  • Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over hot water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir in 100g of the condensed milk.
  • Whip the double cream until soft peaks form, taking care not to over whip. Add the rest of the condensed milk and whip again to ensure peaks remain.
  • Add the white chocolate and stir in.
  • Fold in the fruit mixture to create a ripple effect. Spoon into a 1 litre freezer container and freeze.

Notes

Yields 1 litre.

Sharing

This is, of course, my We Should Cocoa entry. For those not in the know, this is a monthly blogging challenge where an ingredient or theme is chosen that must be combined with chocolate. This month, it’s ice-cream.

As I reckon rose can be considered a herb, I am also entering this into Kavey’s Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream – a fun monthly ice cream challenge.

1. Elizabeth S

14th July 2013 at 1:14 pm

This sounds absolutely gorgeous! I’ve only recently discovered condensed milk ice cream and I’ve become a big fan. The new printable recipe looks fab too. 🙂

14th July 2013 at 8:18 pm

Thank you Elizabeth and thanks to for the printable recipe tip. Condensed milk ice-cream was such a good discovery, it’s just so easy. it’s a little sweet I find, but works well with tart fruit.

2. Christian Halfmann

14th July 2013 at 2:15 pm

Well, it’s looking good to me. I’m absolutely in for a serving of that ice cream. So …
    Hm, would you consider semifreddo also fitting to the We Should Cocoa theme this month?

14th July 2013 at 8:15 pm

Thank you Chris and yes please, any type of ice-cream is welcome. As long as there is a chocolate element of course.

3. Angie Schneider

15th July 2013 at 12:12 pm

This looks totally yum!

4. Phil in the Kitchen

15th July 2013 at 11:33 pm

I’ve never combined rhubarb and rose before but it sounds delightful. I think I could eat a bucketful of that ice cream on a hot night like tonight.

5. Nazima

18th July 2013 at 8:52 pm

This recipe sounds wonderful. I think Rhubarb and Rose is a great pairing and one I will be trying out.A delicate and delicious idea for ice cream. I have my thinking cap on for WSC and hope to come up with something soon!

6. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

19th July 2013 at 6:04 pm

This sounds like a heavenly flavour combo. I totally agree with having something tart with condensed milk, I also think it makes ice cream more refreshing when it’s a little tart. When it’s hot I usually go for ice lollies because some ice creams are just too sickly. This would definitely trump an ice lolly! I need to try this no churn ice cream recipe!

7. Tracy K Nixon

21st July 2013 at 5:18 am

Looks lovely! Shared via Facebook!

8. Kavey

21st July 2013 at 7:27 am

Looks delicious! And I’m always up for wide wide interpretations. Apparently, technically a herb is the leaf part whereas spices are from all the other parts such as roots, bark, flowers. BUT I think rose just feels more like a herb than a spice, doesn’t it?

9. carrie

23rd July 2013 at 7:03 am

this sounds like heaven in a bowl, I really want to try it

10. Tracy K Nixon

24th July 2013 at 4:55 am

This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

11. Judith Luscombe

30th July 2013 at 8:51 am

It is interesting to to read a recipe using rhubarb and the combination of rhubarb and white chocolate is amazing, sounds yummy

12. Tracy K Nixon

2nd August 2013 at 3:51 am

I attempted this for my dad’s birthday and it was lovely!!!! Much tastier than I first thought! Thank you!

13. Cutie Candy Pop

10th August 2013 at 8:41 pm

I need this in my life, I shall attempt this tomorrow