Blackcurrant, Rose & White Chocolate Ripple Ice-Cream

Ice Cream | 26th July 2012 | By

When I set this month’s We Should Cocoa challenge for blackcurrants, I couldn’t get that fruit out of my head and various ideas kept coming and going. One of these was to make semifreddo using blackcurrants and white chocolate – somehow blackcurrants and dark chocolate just didn’t seem right. I’ve been wanting to try semifreddo for a long time now as I keep hearing various bloggers rave about it and more importantly it doesn’t need churning. As I have no ice-cream maker that has got to be a good thing. However Kavey set condensed milk for her Bloggers Scream for Ice-Cream challenge this month and as this is also a no churn ice-cream, I had a rethink. Semifreddo would have to wait for another time.

As it happened, although I’d already made blackcurrant and white chocolate biscuits for We Should Cocoa, I still had blackcurrants in mind for ice-cream. I also had some left over that needed using up. I’ve never tried rose with blackcurrants before, but as it works so well with rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries, I thought it would do the same for blackcurrants and was keen to try it out. Ren Behan actually got there before me with this delicious looking ice-cream. However, it was too late to change my mind and I was going to do things a little differently anyway. I based my recipe on this Good Food one, but changed it quite considerably.

This is what I did:

• Simmered 110g of blackcurrants in a small covered pan with a dessertspoon of rose sugar and a desertspoon of water for about 5 minutes.
  • Squished this through a sieve to remove the tops and seeds.
  • Added 1 tbsp of rose syrup.
  • Left to cool.
  • Melted 40g vanillary white chocolate (G&B) over a pan of hot water then stirred in a 100ml condensed milk.
  • Whipped 300ml double cream until soft peaks formed.
  • Added 100ml condensed milk and whipped again.
  • Stirred in the white chocolate mixture until all incorporated.
  • Poured in the blackcurrents and tried to stir it through the mixture to cause a ripple effect.
  • Spooned into containers and placed in the freezer.
This ice-cream really surprised me. Not a hint of ice crystals and a beautifully smooth unctuous feel to it. I had been expecting it to be sickly sweet with all that condensed milk. Although it was sweet however, the blackcurrants balanced it out nicely and it was absolutely delicious. The main flavour was of course blackcurrants, but the richness of the white chocolate gave it body and just a hint of rose pervaded the whole in a delightful way. As I’d hoped, rose pairs very well with blackcurrants too. And of course I just loved the colour of the blackcurrants. All in all I was really satisfied with this easy to make ice-cream and will be making it again for sure. Next time I might try adding less condensed milk and a bit more cream to make it less sweet, but no other adjustments needed.

I am also submitting this to Fabulicious Summer Ices over at Lancashire Food where there is an Emma Bridgewater cool bag to be awarded to one lucky entrant.

1. Kavey

26th July 2012 at 7:27 am

Oh wow, it looks stunning. So pleased you enjoyed trying the condensed milk no churn style of ice cream … I’ve been so blown away by it!

26th July 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’m so enamoured Kavey, I’ve just made some more using a mix of redcurrants, rhubarb and raspberries – flavoured with rose again.

2. Kath

26th July 2012 at 7:55 am

How delicious does that look in its unfrozen state? I could quite happily dive in, that colour is amazing.

26th July 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love that photo too Kath. I’ve just made it with a load of pink fruit and whilst it looks good, it doesn’t look nearly as impressive 😉

3. Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

26th July 2012 at 7:58 am

That looks absolutely amazing. You didn’t have to do any stirring when it was in the freezer? I have never tried making ice cream cos it sometimes seems like too much faff but if you really just put this in the freezer then leave it, I think I might do this.
    Lou.

26th July 2012 at 1:50 pm

No stirring required Lou – into the freezer and leave until you’re ready to eat – well about 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat! If you don’t add melted chocolate, it’s even less faff and it really is delicoius.

• Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

26th July 2012 at 3:59 pm

Fab!!

26th July 2012 at 12:07 pm

I am quite keen on condensed milk and ice cream recipes that don’t need an ice cream machine (in that order) – the white chocolate sounds a bit sweet here but I love the sound of berries in it – and would probably like to try dark chocolate too

26th July 2012 at 1:51 pm

You’re way ahead of me there Johanna, this is a first for me. One of the reasons I didn’t use dark chocolate was for the colour contrast, but I think it would actually taste rather good.

5. Jo

26th July 2012 at 12:23 pm

What a fantastic colour! I don’t have an ice-cream maker so this recipe would be perfect for me. That’s if I don’t drink all the condensed milk from the can first *hangs head in shame*

26th July 2012 at 1:52 pm

Jo, I used to eat condensed milk with a spoon when I was a teenager and could get through quite a bit of it. These days I find it far too sweet on it’s own – Luckily!

6. Chris

26th July 2012 at 3:36 pm

You’re right this sounds so addictive. I’ll be careful then.

26th July 2012 at 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness – all these ice cream recipes floating about in my reader! Me thinks summer must have reached some parts of the UK at long last ;0)
    What a fab ice cream flavour combo, my mouth is watering at the sound of it … I won’t mention how the pictures make me want to lick my laptop screen!

8. hungryhinny

26th July 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’ve been meaning to try the condensed milk and cream version of ice cream for ages – as I don’t have an ice cream maker I don’t think the normal way would work very well, but this looks perfect, and so easy!

9. A Trifle Rushed

26th July 2012 at 8:23 pm

This sounds like a really tasty ice-cream, just perfect for today, I rally love your imaginative adventures with chocolate 🙂 Jude x

26th July 2012 at 9:04 pm

That looks fantastic, love the marbling.

11. Phil in the Kitchen

26th July 2012 at 9:24 pm

Looks great – I love the idea of that little touch of rose.

12. Ellen B Cookery

27th July 2012 at 12:13 am

Oh my goodness! Chocolate and roses? Sinfully delicious!

13. rita cooks italian

27th July 2012 at 6:00 am

I love ice cream, especially on a hot day. I like the color of your ice cream, it’s very inspiring… and no ice crystals ..a great result.

14. Brownieville Girl

27th July 2012 at 11:14 am

Beyond beautiful – and delicious on top of that!

Thanks so much for your message – I really appreciate it.

15. Jacqueline

27th July 2012 at 1:26 pm

I nearly fainted when I saw that photo of it being mixed up. Oh my! I am about to post a ripple as well, but I am afraid it doesn’t have raspberries.

16. Elizabeth

27th July 2012 at 6:25 pm

This is such a unique ice cream flavor; it looks delicious!

17. Kit @ i-lostinausten

27th July 2012 at 9:00 pm

YUMMY! Love the color very much & I do prefer them in ice-cream too! 🙂

18. Karen S Booth

28th July 2012 at 10:15 am

OMG! FABULOUS ice cream and I LOVE the no churn idea! KAren

19. Caroline

28th July 2012 at 1:20 pm

That looks utterly amazing – what a beautiful colour it is. I have made blackcurrant icecream in the distant past and it has an amazing flavour so I can just imagine what this one is like. I must try this soon!

20. Green Dragonette

28th July 2012 at 4:25 pm

That looks so good-and as it happens I have some blackcurrants just picked…

21. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

29th July 2012 at 8:24 am

I TOTALLY missed this post… not sure how… I can’t believe how stunning this ice cream looks and sounds… such a glorious colour and I can only imagine how fabulous it tastes… nice work C x

22. Homemade by Fleur

29th July 2012 at 4:19 pm

I don’t have an ice cream maker either, (it’s on my list) so this is a great recipe for me to try. I’m loving the blackcurrant and white chocolate combo. Adding rose is very clever indeed as I’m sure it’s beautiful.

23. Shaheen

29th July 2012 at 5:33 pm

This sounds fantastic – when I had an allotment plot in glasgow I had loads of blackcurrants growing, I am missing them so much this year. Just have to drool over your ice-cream here instead.

24. corrie

30th July 2012 at 2:43 am

Stop teasing us with ice cream….its still winter here!!! looks VERY delish! 🙂

25. Couscous & Consciousness

30th July 2012 at 9:02 am

I love making my own ice creams, and this one looks absolutely divine. I have to try it.