Summer Cocktails – Rhubarbarella & Chocadoodledoo

Drinks | 20th June 2012 | By

Rhubarbarella

Cocktails are not something I know much about. There was a certain bar in Baker Street we used to frequent when I was a student, where a certain Aussie barman gave us half price cocktails when he was in a good mood. But sadly his moods took a turn for the worse when his overtures were rebuffed by one of our group. Other than that, I can probably count my cocktails on the fingers of one hand – maybe two if pressed. However, there is something rather alluring about them and I expect if I had an independent income I’d drink more of them. So when Urvashi of Botanical Baker challenged us to come up with some summer cocktails, I just couldn’t resist.

Chocadoodledoo

Although I’m not much of a drinker – honestly – I do make my own liqueurs: sloe gin, cassis, rhubarb schnapps and various other vodka infusions. I’ve had some cocoa nibs soaking in vodka now for over six months, so I figured it was time to test out my attempt at chocolate extract and concoct some chocolate cocktails. Having used three rose flowers to make some rose sugar, I was left with one glorious bloom. Sadly the weather  was not favourable, so I thought I’d harvest it before it got blown away. What better use than to make rose syrup which would be perfect for a summer cocktail.

This is what I did:

Rhubarbarella (Rhubarb & Rose Cocktail)
50ml rhubarb schnapps
50ml lemon balm tea
10ml chocolate extract
rose syrup*
squeeze of lemon juice
ice cubes

Ran a little lemon juice around the rim of a glass then dipped the glass into a saucer of rose sugar (caster sugar). Placed all the above ingredients in a well sealed jar and shook. Strained into the glass and added a sprig of lemon balm.

Chocadoodledoo (Chocolate & Mint Cocktail)
50ml Mint schnapps
10ml chocolate extract
50ml single cream
ice cubes

Placed the above ingredients into a glass and shook well. Strained into a glass and added a sprig of mint

Rhubarbarella was the star of the show. Rose and rhubarb had already proved themselves as a flavour pairing in the last lot of Nonnettes I made so I had high hopes. It was delicious, fruity, refreshing and with a definite kick – of chocolate as well as alcahol. The rose flavour added a layer of sophistication, or so it seemed after a few sips ……. The colour was alluring and I impressed myself with the sugared glass. I’d be happy to drink this all summer long, which by latest reckoning, ends tomorrow.

Although the chocolate came through quite powerfully, I wasn’t quite so taken with chocadoodledoo due to a slight bitterness from the mint schnapps. Next time I’ll add some sugar to counteract this. It was certainly bracing, the mint schnapps being noticeably stronger than the rhubarb. However, I’m not giving up on this one, there will be a next time.

Rose Syrup

* Rose Syrup The rose syrup was absolutely delicious and I can see many uses for it, not least added to sparkling water and used as a drink. I made it by adding 200g golden caster sugar to 200ml water and putting this on a low heat until fully dissolved. I added the petals of a deep red rose and left to not quite simmer for half an hour. I then strained the syrup into a bottle and left to cool.

As I have used mint and lemon balm in my cocktails, I am submitting this to Karen’s Herbs on Saturday. A challenge I keep meaning to join in, but somehow keep forgetting about.

1. Kath

20th June 2012 at 7:06 am

I am loving your alcoholic experiments and I do love the sound of that rose syrup. I think Rhubarbarella would be my favourite too. It sounds a little too drinkable. There could be trouble afterwards…

21st June 2012 at 6:14 am

Kath, it’s something it would be far too easy to get into, so I’m not sure how much more experimenting I should do :-S Rose syrup is a revelation – so easy and so delicious.

2. simple baking

20th June 2012 at 8:18 am

Love the names , rhubarbarella and chocadoodledoo, very imaginative.

21st June 2012 at 6:19 am

Thanks, have to admit to a little help from CT on this one 🙂

3. Juliet

20th June 2012 at 8:52 am

I have some Rose Syrup in need of using! Excellent idea, and I adore your names!

21st June 2012 at 6:21 am

Thanks Juliet – Rhubarbarella come highly recommended 😉

4. Phil in the Kitchen

20th June 2012 at 9:16 am

I love the sound of these, especially the rhubarb and rose. Like you, I make my own liqueurs but I’ve got to stop – I’m getting a liqueur backlog. Maybe I should start thinking about making some cocktails.

21st June 2012 at 6:23 am

I’m with you on the liqueur backlog Phil, I love making them but hardly ever use them. A summer of sipping cocktails it is!!!

20th June 2012 at 2:22 pm

I remember the days when I drank cocktails – I quite enjoyed them when I was a student until I realised my budget wasn’t coping with them and learnt to drink beer that was often free.I’m not one for creamy cocktails so I think I would much prefer the rhubarb one – I think a career in naming cocktails would be great fun – love your name

21st June 2012 at 6:26 am

That made me giggle Johanna – free beer sounds much more studenty! I’ll get CT onto his new career of naming cocktails as he is the genius behind one of the names anyway. I did manage to crank up the old brain cells and name one of them.

6. Vanessa @ Cakes and Teacups

20th June 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yes, naming cocktails sounds like a lot of fun! Especially if its your own concoction how fun is that! : )

21st June 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks Vanessa, this was fun indeed 😉

7. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

20th June 2012 at 5:03 pm

chocadoodledoo is now my most favourite cocktail EVER!… I love this challenge… must add it to the bloggers diary!

21st June 2012 at 6:34 am

Hehe, I can see you and the Viking sipping cocktails in that lovely garden of yours.

8. laura@howtocookgoodfood

20th June 2012 at 6:06 pm

I will have the Rhubarbarella pleas. Just in the mood after a lovely day in the garden with 2 sick children lying indoors! I don’t know if I trust myself to make my own liqueurs. I would drink them way to often. But, they would make top presents though for very little money.
    I can’t believe how easy rose syrup is to make and it is the most wonderful colour too!

21st June 2012 at 6:35 am

One coming your way Laura. Rose syrup is my new found wonder. Hope your kids make a swift recovery and don’t pass anything on to you.

20th June 2012 at 8:35 pm

Wow, love these. Do you have recipe for your rhubarb schnapps you could share?

21st June 2012 at 6:38 am

Janice, I’m a bit rough and ready with my liqueurs. For the rhubarb I fill up a large jar with chopped rhubarb, add sugar to taste (depends how sweet you like your liqueurs – probably about 1/4 to 1/6th sugar) then fill with vodka.

• Janice

21st June 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for that, I may make some at the weekend.

22nd June 2012 at 12:54 pm

Forgot to say, leave for as long as you can – at least six months, but a year is better. Then strain, bottle and enjoy.

10. Baking Addict

20th June 2012 at 10:07 pm

These look delicious! I want that rose syrup!! Love how creative you’ve been with these 2 cocktails. I’m sure you won’t be lacking of taste testers 🙂

21st June 2012 at 6:40 am

Thanks Ros, the rose syrup is my new found love and the cocktails may be making a regular appearance 😉

11. A Trifle Rushed

21st June 2012 at 1:48 pm

Wow! what a super group of cocktails, I tend to stick to old favourites, but I think it’s a great idea to use some of your own liqueurs, well done. And the rose syrup looks divine.

21st June 2012 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Jude. I’m now wondering what your favourite cocktails are? And the rose syrup is divine 😉

12. Chris

21st June 2012 at 7:32 pm

What a shame, I don’t have the ingredients ready now. Would have loved a Chocadoodledoo!

22nd June 2012 at 12:51 pm

Well Chris, there is always the future 😉

13. celia

21st June 2012 at 9:36 pm

Choc, these are wonderful! I tried making chocolate extract, but it didn’t work very well – I shall try again! Do you have a recipe for your rhubarb schnapps, please? Thanks..

22nd June 2012 at 12:56 pm

This was the first time I’ve used the extract – it’s not a very strong chocolate flavour, but it’s definitely there and smells wonderfully chocolatey. If you see my reply to Janice further up, I have given the recipe there.

14. Lizzy

21st June 2012 at 9:46 pm

Both your cocktails sound marvelous! If I had some rhubarb schnapps around, I’d definitely try your Rubarbarella 🙂

22nd June 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Lizzy – I know rhubarb schnapps isn’t something everyone has lying around, but I’m trying to change that 😉

15. Chris

22nd June 2012 at 5:00 am

It’s always a pleasure reading your blog.
    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.

22nd June 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thank you very much Chris, that is kind 🙂

16. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

24th June 2012 at 1:07 pm

I love to see some cocktails on your blog, Choclette! The rhubarb and rose combo sounds just perfect for a sunny afternoon.

26th June 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thanks Hazel – oh for a sunny afternoon!

17. Karen S Booth

24th June 2012 at 4:21 pm

FABULOUS to see some summertime sippers on your blog, and even better to see some LOVELY herbs being used too….I love the idea of both of them, but must admit to being more partial to the Rhubarbarella…..sounds like my cup of tea, or should I say my happy hour drinky poo! Karen

26th June 2012 at 5:32 pm

Just love herbs Karen, but I don’t get a chance to enter your Herbs on Saturday very often. This was an idea opportunity I could not pass by and all helped along with a sip or two of a drinky poo 😉

18. cakeboule

25th June 2012 at 8:48 pm

Such unsual ingredients but love them! Refreshingly different!

26th June 2012 at 5:33 pm

Well who needs your tequila’s & bailey’s anyhow ????? :-0

19. Homeandfood

27th June 2012 at 10:47 am

Ah, crikey. Those cocktails are literally making my mouth water!

Really inventive unusual cocktails, thank you so much for sharing them!

27th June 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ahh thank you, Rhubarbarella was the star of the show, but I think with a little work Chocadoodledoo could be up there too 😉

20. Unknown

5th July 2012 at 10:18 pm

Choclette you and CT are a good team!

21. Poyma

5th July 2012 at 10:21 pm

Choclette you and CT are a good team!