Raspberry Rose Friands – Your Summer Gluten-Free Friends

Raspberry Rose Friands - gluten-free

Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove in the summer? Not me. But I do like a summery bake or two. These raspberry rose friands are a good compromise. They’re full of summer flavour, quick to prepare and only take twenty minutes in the oven.

Friands are the Australian version of the slightly more refined French financiers. I have made them many times before – we all need our friands. They’re simple and quick to make: you need little more than a bowl, whisk and spoon. They’re made with ground almonds and a little flour. I always use buckwheat flour to ensure my friands are gluten-free. This means I can be certain there’s something delicious available for anyone who’s gluten intolerant. This recipe is ideal for using up any leftover egg whites, as yolks are not required.

Raspberry Rose Friands

I can’t resist adding a little of my homemade rose syrup to fruity bakes and desserts at this time of year. It somehow enhances the flavours of the fruit as well as giving an additional layer of sophistication. However, I didn’t think it a good idea to add too much liquid to these friands, so I used a few drops of rose extract instead. But for this raspberry cream sponge cake, I did match raspberries with rose syrup and it worked very well indeed.

These raspberry rose friands were pure delight.They were slightly sticky with a subtle rose flavour and tart raspberries punctuating the sweet sponge. These little cakes are the perfect treat for summer picnics or afternoon tea in the garden. So why not head into the kitchen and make some new friands? Then invite some old friends around to enjoy them.

Raspbery Rose Friands – The Recipe

Raspberry Rose Friands - gluten-free
Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Raspberry Rose Friands

These simple to make gluten-free raspberry rose friands make the perfect treat for summer picnics or afternoon tea in the garden.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: Antipodean
Keyword: friands, gluten-free, raspberries, rose, small cakes, summer
Servings: 12 small friands
Author: Choclette

• 2 egg whites
  • 80 g icing sugar
  • 2-3 drops rose extract
  • 60 g unsalted butter - melted
  • 40 g ground almonds
  • 30 g buckwheat flour
  • 30 raspberries

• Whisk the egg whites and icing sugar in a large bowl until just incorporated.
  • Whisk in the rose extract.
  • Stir in the butter with the whisk.
  • Sieve in the almonds and flour and stir in gently.
  • Divide the mixture between 12 mini muffin moulds.
  • Gently press 2-3 raspberries (depending on size) into the mixture.
  • Bake at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) for about 20 minutes when the cakes should be well risen and golden.
  • Turn out onto a rack to cool, then dust with icing sugar if desired.

Notes

Upscale or downscale the recipe according to how many friands you need or how many leftover egg whites you have.

Sharing

I’m linking these raspberry rose friands up to Love Cake with JibberJabberUK. July is all about the colour red. So do join in if you’ve made a cake with any red fruit this month.

They also go to Bake of the Week with Mummy Mishaps and Casa Costello

Other recipes for friands or financiers you might like

Raspberry Rose Friands. PIN IT

Raspberry Rose Friands - delicious little cakes that are gluten-free. Easy to make too.

1. Jackie in Canada

16th July 2017 at 10:25 pm

These look wonderful. Just a quick question, can I use oat flour instead of buckwheat in these? I have almond flour in the fridge, I always have oat flour, raspberries are ripe in the garden, but I don’t have buckwheat flour.

17th July 2017 at 10:37 am

The flour part is so minute really, it doesn’t matter too much what you use. Oat flour should be fine.

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes

20th July 2017 at 10:51 am

They are my favourit! I like the add of buckwheat flour here, Choclette.

20th July 2017 at 1:34 pm

Mine too Angie. I nearly always use buckwheat instead of wheat flour and if not that some other sort of gluten-free flour – it’s such an easy gluten-free win.

3. Kate - gluten free alchemist

20th July 2017 at 5:41 pm

Always love a Friand and raspberry ones are the best. Liking the addition of rose in yours x

20th July 2017 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Kate. They do make an excellent easy gluten free bake 🙂

4. Kavey Favelle

21st July 2017 at 8:32 am

I love love love friands and financiers (never really know what the difference is), and these look particularly delicious!

22nd July 2017 at 11:27 am

I think the only difference is that financiers should be made with browned butter – oh and the shape of course!

5. Emily Coates

21st July 2017 at 9:34 am

So pretty! I keep meaning to try making friands – I’m feeling inspired x

22nd July 2017 at 11:26 am

They are a great way to use up any leftover egg whites or a good excuse to make custard 🙂

6. Claire @foodiequine

21st July 2017 at 9:45 am

Not something that I’ve ever made – don’t have the tin! My local coffee shop makes wonderful ones.

22nd July 2017 at 11:25 am

Oh lucky you. I’ve never tried one that I haven’t made myself and would very much like to. No tin needed. I just use muffin tins – mini ones or large ones work well.

7. Kat (The Baking Explorer)

23rd July 2017 at 11:40 pm

They look gorgeous, I really need to try friands, can’t believe I’ve still never made them! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

24th July 2017 at 8:37 am

Thanks Kat. They are my go to bake when I get leftover egg whites.

8. Phil in the Kitchen

24th July 2017 at 10:33 pm

Lovely stuff. Friands are definitely a summery bake although I don’t think I could exactly explain why. And raspberries are just the perfect summer fruit. Afternoon tea would be very nice but Pimms might be even better alongside a little friand.

25th July 2017 at 3:11 pm

Pimms Phil? Now you’re talking. I know what you mean about summery bakes, something do do with the lightness of the friands maybe.

9. Lucy

25th July 2017 at 8:17 pm

These look and sound delicious! Perfect for summer with soft summer fruit and that gorgeous rose scent! I’d love one or two please 😉

26th July 2017 at 7:36 am

I think two would be permitted – they are quite small 😉

10. Ness

27th July 2017 at 10:14 pm

I love raspberries in baking and these friands are the perfect summer bake. They would look so pretty as part of an afternoon tea although you may need to keep refreshing supplies though!

28th July 2017 at 8:15 am

Haha, yes there is that Ness. They do disappear rather quickly.

11. jenny paulin

30th July 2017 at 10:59 pm

these look so light and fluffy and very easy to eat. I think they would look delightful served as part of an afternoon tea. Thank you for linking to #Bakeoftheweek x

31st July 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Jenny. Friands are one of my favourite bakes and always taste good.

12. Claire P

4th August 2017 at 2:37 pm

These are perfect muffins. I love cooking and trying different food items. I keep on checking your blog to try out different recipes. I adore all your recipes.

8th August 2017 at 9:10 pm

Thank you Claire, that’s very kind of you. Friands are one of my favourite bakes – so simple, yet so delicious.