Waffles with Rhubarb & Rose Compote and Rose Cream

Waffles with Rhubarb & Rose Compote and Rose Cream

Waffles are such a delight. I was late to this particular way of cooking batter and didn’t get to try my first one until I visited Ghent a few years ago. There’s more to Belgium than just chocolate, I found. Waffles abounded and they were just fabulous. I finally realised what I’d been missing out on all this time. These light and crisp waffles, served with a perfumed rhubarb and rose compote and a pillowy cloud of gently scented rose cream will save you the cost of a pilgrimage to Waffleland.

Waffle Moulds

Ever since getting my hands on these silicone waffle moulds, I have become somewhat addicted to these doughy crispy delights. They are just as good for a dessert as they are for breakfast or brunch. The light and airy sweet waffles I tried in Belgium were either served in the morning with coffee, or at tea time. They don’t have to be sweet of course, savoury waffles are equally delicious. Either way, I never add sugar to my waffle batter as I don’t see the need – it’s all in the toppings.

If you don’t have silicone waffle moulds, this batter will work just as well in a more traditional waffle iron.

Waffles with Rhubarb & Rose Compote & Rose Cream

For some reason, rhubarb doesn’t like it down on our plot and I have to rely on my mother for a supply. She bought round the first rhubarb picked from her garden last week. It was just in time to bake this rhubarb and ginger cake for a friend’s birthday. As there were a couple of sticks left over, however, I thought I’d treat us to some rhubarb and rose compote and serve it with waffles, oh and cream, of course.

Waffle with Rhubarb & Rose Compote and Rose Cream

I first discovered how well rhubarb and rose went together with these rhubarb and rose nonnettes and it’s been a favoured combination ever since. I make a couple of bottles of rose syrup every year and what doesn’t get used in cooking makes for a most sumptuous cordial drink with water, both fizzy or flat. However, this time I used Spice Drops rose extract, which also worked wonderfully well.

The waffles were the usual crisp and doughy delight, but the rhubarb and rose compote was just gorgeous. Light and fruity with a delightful rose perfume which added wondrous floral notes but didn’t overwhelm. As for the cream, well! Those softly scented clouds will just have to be repeated.

Linkies

I’m linking up these waffles with rhubarb & rose compote to the following:

Great British Rhubarb Recipe Round-Up over at Lavender and Lovage and Farmersgirl Kitchen. It’s all for the love of rhubarb.

No Waste Food Challenge with Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. There was no way I wasn’t going to use these first sticks of rhubarb, but they were sort of leftover from the cake and they might otherwise have been wasted.

Other waffle recipes you might want to check out:

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these delicious waffles with rhubarb & rose compote, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Rhubarb Waffles. PIN IT.

Waffles with Rhubarb & Rose Compote and Rose Cream

Waffles with Rhubarb & Rose Compote – The Recipe

5 from 8 votes
Waffle with Rhubarb & Rose Compote and Rose Cream
Waffles with Rhubarb and Rose Compote and Rose Cream
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
15 mins
Total Time
35 mins

Light and crisp waffles, served with a perfumed rhubarb and rose compote and a pillowy cloud of gently scented rose cream.
Course: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert
Cuisine: Belgian
Keywords: compote, rhubarb, rose, waffles
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 459 kcal
Author: Choclette
Waffles
  • 1 large egg (I used a duck egg)
  • 200 ml milk
  • 220 g flour (half wholemeal, half plain white)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of rock salt (I use Himalayan Pink)
  • 50 g unsalted butter - melted
Compote
  • 2 sticks rhubarb (about 200g) - sliced
  • 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
  • 2 drops rose extract or a tbsp rose syrup (I used Holy Lama Spice Drops)
  • 100 ml double cream
Waffles
  1. Whisk egg and milk together in a large jug.
  2. Add the butter and salt and whisk some more.
  3. Whisk in the dry ingredients.
  4. Pour into four waffle moulds and bake in the oven at 220C for about ten minutes.
  5. Turn out onto a baking tray, keeping the pattern side up and return to the oven for a further five minutes or so. The waffles should be golden and crisp on the outside.
Compote
  1. Place the rhubarb and sugar into a pan with just a dash of water and cook over a low heat for about five minutes until the rhubarb is tender.
  2. Remove from the heat, add the rose extract and stir gently.
  3. Pour any excess liquid into the cream and whip until soft peaks form.
  4. Spoon the compote over the waffles, then top with cream and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Recipe Notes

You can use this batter in a waffle iron. Just follow the model's instructions.

Nutrition Facts
Total Carbohydrates 49.9g 17%
Dietary Fiber 5.9g 24%
Sugars 13.1g
Protein 11.6g 23%
Calcium 15%
Iron 5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

1. Fiona @ London-Unattached

20th April 2015 at 4:11 pm

we’ve been trying making waffles in a george foreman grill recently. They ARE quite different to the shop made ones! I love the idea of rhubarb and rose!

20th April 2015 at 4:56 pm

I’ve never had shop bought ones here in the UK Fiona. Making them in a grill sounds interesting. As for rhubarb and rose – I’m thinking of a blog name change 😉

2. shaheen

20th April 2015 at 4:56 pm

Oh its been a while since I’ve had waffles and your tempting me to make some this weekend. Our rhubarb is beginning to stretch in the garden, so hopefully I will be able to harvest the first of the year soon.

20th April 2015 at 4:59 pm

Ah lovely to hear from you Shaheen. These were truly scrumptious, but it can’t be long now until you are harvesting your rhubarb.

3. fashion-mommy

20th April 2015 at 5:07 pm

The waffles look so amazing with that compote – I’m not a great fan of Rhubarb however, find it a little tart for my tastes.

#UKBloggers

20th April 2015 at 5:36 pm

Thank you. I couldn’t eat rhubarb as a child and wasn’t desperately keen when I was young, but I’ve matured into it and now absolutely love it. The rose tempers the tartness a bit too.

4. Lucy @ BakingQueen74

20th April 2015 at 6:55 pm

Mmm, these look delicious! Love the waffle moulds too, I always thought I would need a waffle maker to make them. Love the combination of rhubarb and rose as well.

20th April 2015 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Lucy. There is a definitely limit to how many gadgets I can cope with in the kitchen, so these moulds are ideal. To be fair I’ve not tried using a waffle maker, so I can’t compare, but I’m quite impressed with the moulds.

20th April 2015 at 8:14 pm

Oh that’s lovely, rose is a great flavour to pair with rhubarb. Thanks for joining us for the Great British Rhubarb Recipe Round Up

20th April 2015 at 9:33 pm

It is a lovely combination Janice and how could I not join you in such a grand event 😉

6. Heidi Roberts

20th April 2015 at 8:22 pm

I love home made waffles. I cooked some rhubarb to day I am going to use in a cake.

20th April 2015 at 9:34 pm

As a filling for a cake Heidi or to go in a cake? I love rhubarb in cakes, but I never cook it first.

7. Louise Mensah

20th April 2015 at 8:58 pm

OMG! Your waffles look divine. I wanna try. I’m so pleased the recipe is so straightforward, as I wouldn’t really say baking/ making pastries is my forte so this looks easy enough for me to want to try out haha.

20th April 2015 at 9:35 pm

Thanks Louise, you’re right, this is a dead easy recipe and such a rewarding one too.

8. Margot @ Coffee & Vanilla

20th April 2015 at 9:49 pm

Oh, I’m seeing great rhubarb recipes everywhere recently. I like the fact that I can use ready waffles here, lovely idea 🙂

21st April 2015 at 9:10 am

Thanks Margot. I didn’t know there was such a thing as ready waffles, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

9. Made With Pink

20th April 2015 at 9:57 pm

These look absolutely scrumptious! And your waffle mould! I’ve never seen one of these, and would have beeb skeptical of how well it worked if I hadn’t seen this post, but it looks like it works brilliantly! Thanks so much for including the links to my waffles as well 🙂

21st April 2015 at 9:12 am

Thank you. I was actually really impressed with all the Lekué silicone moulds that I tried, but for waffles I’ve not actually tried anything else.

10. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

21st April 2015 at 4:35 am

this looks such a gorgeous brunch (and I just saw you have a tumblr – looks interesting too)

21st April 2015 at 9:13 am

Thanks Johanna. Yes tumblr is still very new to me – I’m still trying to work out what it’s all about.

11. Heather

21st April 2015 at 1:28 pm

These look so delicious, think I could eat them for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! (or dessert, don’t forget dessert) Your waffle mould looks great! Do you know where it could get hold of one?

21st April 2015 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Heather – indeed an all day must have 😉 I know Lakeland stock some of their products as does Amazon and many kitchen shops – failing that they are available on the Lekue website – http:// www. lekue. com/en/ cookware/ waffle-mould-lekue.html

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes

21st April 2015 at 3:19 pm

Both compote and waffle are delicious!

21st April 2015 at 4:50 pm

Thank you Angie, it’s very true. Summer is coming too 🙂

13. Karen

22nd April 2015 at 1:01 pm

This looks and sounds divine, thanks so much for adding it to the Great British Rhubarb Recipe Round-Up! Karen

22nd April 2015 at 7:03 pm

Karen, it was 🙂 I have another rhubarb recipe to come, but not sure I’ll make it in time.

14. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

22nd April 2015 at 2:56 pm

I am a huge fan of waffles and would love to try them with rhubarb and rose compote.

22nd April 2015 at 9:13 pm

Rhubarb and rose is a fabulous combination Bintu and on top of these waffles with cream – wow!

15. Kate - gluten free alchemist

22nd April 2015 at 7:05 pm

Mmmm… that compote sounds lovely. I need to get something to make waffles in…. GF ones are pretty rare and I need to start doing my own! If it’s any consolation, my rhubarb plant has refused to come up this year… I think it got a bit water swamped over the winter! I’ve just bought a new plant….

22nd April 2015 at 9:14 pm

We’ve tried three different plants in three different locations and each one has died – don’t understand it. Well I can recommend these waffle moulds Kate – they’re fab 🙂

16. Helen @Fuss Free Flavours

16th May 2015 at 8:42 pm

These look amazing. I’ll be having them for breakfast please!

16th May 2015 at 9:17 pm

They’d sure make a lovely birthday breakfast or for some other celebratory occasion.

17. Elizabeth

20th May 2015 at 7:52 am

Such a gorgeous recipe! I could quite happily tuck into these for breakfast or dessert! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge 🙂

25th May 2015 at 11:40 am

Thanks Elizabeth, rhubarb and rose is a great combination 🙂

18. Kate @ Veggie Desserts

2nd October 2015 at 2:57 pm

These sound so elegant and lovely!!

2nd October 2015 at 8:24 pm

Thank you Kate. I can do elegant it seems – occasionally 😉

9th March 2019 at 8:47 pm

How lovely to see this recipe again, It looks lovely and spring-like. I noticed my rhubarb is starting to peek through the ground today, so as soon as it warms up a bit, it should produce enough for me to try your recipe.

10th March 2019 at 9:07 am

Yes, it feels like spring is really here now. I’m so looking forward to getting our new garden into proper shape so I can plant some rhubarb. It’s been a long time since we had our own.

20. Christina | Christina's Cucina

9th March 2019 at 9:11 pm

OMG, the rhubarb and rose cream is making me salivate! What a great combination with the waffles! Need to make these pronto!!

10th March 2019 at 9:08 am

Rhubarb and rose is a fabulous combination, though it’s not at all an obvious one. Hope you like it.

21. Rebecca

10th March 2019 at 4:19 pm

You had me at Rhubarb and Rose, divine flavour combo

11th March 2019 at 2:26 pm

It’s a fabulous combination. I’m sure I’m not the first to have tried it, but it’s not a pairing you come across very often.