Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes (Nonnettes)

Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes (aka Nonnettes)

Small Cakes, World Cuisine | 22nd October 2012 | By

Sweet and sticky, these blackcurrant rose honey cakes are thoroughly delicious. Known as nonnettes in France, they are individual egg-free cakes. This gives them a delightfully smooth texture. Little chunks of caramelised white chocolate just add to the fun, but can be left out if preferred.

The letter for this month’s Alpha Bakes is N. Apart from nuts, I could think of nothing else other than nonnettes and as I haven’t made any of these wonderful eggless French honey cakes for a while, this seemed like a good opportunity.

Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes

I decided I’d adapt and use half the amount of the original nonnette recipe to make twelve smaller cakes using my new muffin cases. A half eaten jar of my mother’s delicious blackcurrant jam was sitting in the cupboard and I still had a bit of rose syrup that really needed using up. Blackcurrant and rose proves to be a nice combination as evinced by the blackcurrant, rose and white chocolate ice-cream I made in the summer.

Blackcurrant and Rose Honey Cakes - aka Nonnettes

The normal quantity of honey cake batter I make fits twelve regular sized muffin moulds. This produces quite hefty sized cakes, which is fine if you’re very hungry, but not so good if you just want a tea time snack. This half batch size still managed to nearly fill these twelve cases and they produced the perfect size honey cake.

Blackcurrant Nonnettes

These nonnettes were as good as I imagined they would be. That is to say, they are thoroughly delicious. They’re sweet, sticky and flavoursome with a lovely smooth texture. The blackcurrant has a good strong flavour and its tartness helps to counteract the overall sweetness. CT was surprised by the little bits of white chocolate, but enjoyed them. Licking fingers is an occupational hazard with honey cakes, although CT doesn’t seem to be unduly bothered.

Silicone Muffin Cases

As some of you may have gathered by now, I am a big fan of silicone cookware and use it a lot in my baking. It has revolutionised my baking life. This is mostly because I have no more arduous lining of tins, or cakes sticking and refusing to come out.

A new pack of twelve silicone muffin cases were a welcome addition to my collection. For a start I love the vibrant colours of purple, deep pink, turquoise and lime green. With my eco hat on, it means less wastage and no need to use and then throw away lots of paper cases. But most usefully, they are smaller than the paper muffin cases I usually choose, which means I can make daintier morsels for my less piggy friends.

Other Little French Cakes You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make my blackcurrant rose nonnettes, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Blackcurrant & Rose Honey Cakes. PIN IT.

Blackcurrant and rose honey cakes in brightly coloured silicone cases.

Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes – The Recipe

Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes (aka Nonnettes)
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Blackcurrant Rose Honey Cakes (Nonnettes)

Sweet and sticky, these little cakes are known as nonnettes in France. They're egg-free, easy to make and thoroughly delicious. Little chunks of caramelised white chocolate just add to the fun, but can be left out if preferred.
Prep Time24 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Resting Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: French
Keyword: blackcurrant jam, cakes, egg-free, honey, rose
Servings: 12 little cakes
Calories: 164kcal

• 40 g unsalted butter
  • 100 g honey (I used a local Cornish variety)
  • 50 g light brown sugar
  • 50 ml milk
  • 50 ml rose syrup
  • 100 g plain flour
  • 50 g wholemeal rye flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • small orange
  • 25 g white chocolate - chopped (optional)
  • 12 tsp blackcurrant jam
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • 1 tbsp rose syrup I used homemade rose syrup

• Melt the butter in a pan, then add the honey and sugar and stir.
  • Take off the heat and add the milk and rose syrup. Stir until smooth then leave to cool.
  • Sift the flours, baking powder and bicarb of soda into a mixing bowl.
  • Grate in ½ the zest from the orange.
  • Stir in the white chocolate pieces.
  • Make a well in the centre and pour in the honey mixture. Stir from the inside out until just combined.
  • Divide the mixture between 12 silicone muffin cases or moulds lined with paper cases. Leave in a cool place for half an hour.
  • Meanwhile set the oven to 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4).
  • Place a small teaspoonful of blackcurrant jam on the top of each cake and bake for 16 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
  • Place on a wire rack to cool.
  • Mix 1the icing sugar with enough rose syrup to form a slightly runny icing.
  • Drizzle this over the cakes whilst they're still slightly warm.

Notes

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 85mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg

Sharing

I am entering these blackcurrant rose honey cakes into Alpha Bakes as N is for Nonnettes. Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes take it in turn to host.

As October is such a great time to preserve Autumn’s bounty, Kate of What Kate Baked has cleverly chosen preserves for this month’s Tea Time Treats. TTT is co-hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.

Chris over at Cooking Around the World has started a new challenge Bloggers Around the World. Sadly I didn’t manage to join in last month with Germany as the selected country. This month it’s France, so I’m submitting these Nonnettes.

As these honey cakes are eggless, I’m also sending them to Cook Eat Delicious Desserts where the theme is honey. It’s hosted this month by Nivedhanam.

1. belleau kitchen

22nd October 2012 at 3:04 pm

oooh, they look quite sexy!… love the jammy topps, very nice. (now regretting the sexy comment because looking at them again you may think i’m being pervy..)… ((and now regretting that even more because you probably think i’m filthy!))… oh well x

23rd October 2012 at 7:43 pm

Dom, your, errr, secret, is safe with me 😉

22nd October 2012 at 5:17 pm

Where have I been living?? I’ve never heard of nonnettes before, this is quite the revelation for me. They look lovely and colourful.

23rd October 2012 at 7:47 pm

Chele, where have you been looking? This is the third Nonnette recipe on my blog 😉

3. Phil in the Kitchen

22nd October 2012 at 10:34 pm

Lovely. I’ve seen blackcurrants used in nonnettes before but the combination of flavours with the rose syrup is inspired. I’m pleased to see that someone is keeping the nonnette flag flying. I recently saw some in Picardy which had a sharp, almost savoury sounding filling – I didn’t get a chance to sample them but I must try making some more when I get the chance.

23rd October 2012 at 7:49 pm

As you know Phil I’ve become a big fan of Nonnettes and it’s all down to you. I’m still waiting for you to write your cookery book of little French cakes though – I’m sure there are plenty of other delights out there waiting to be discovered.

4. Miss C Flash

23rd October 2012 at 8:11 am

I’ve never heard of nonnettes before, but the certainly look delicious x

23rd October 2012 at 7:51 pm

Miss C, you’ve missed an absolute treat and they are doubly good if you want to bake and don’t happen to have eggs in the house.

5. laura@howtocookgoodfood

23rd October 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh these look delicious. I have to really compliment you on the photos here. The colours are beautiful and the light is crisp and clear. Any changes to what you normally do? The little nonnettes are jumping out of the screen to tempt me! Another great recipe xx

28th October 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for the compliment, always welcome, but it was more luck than judgement. Must have got just the right light.

6. Karen S Booth

23rd October 2012 at 5:11 pm

Lush little nonettes! And I love the jammy topping too…….thanks so much for an inspired tea time treats treat! Karen

28th October 2012 at 9:18 pm

Mini nonette? How does that go nonetteettes?

7. cityhippyfarmgirl

24th October 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oooo, I haven’t heard of nonnettes either. Anything that involves jamy business and licking sticky fingers has got to be a good thing though.

28th October 2012 at 9:15 pm

They really ought to be better known because they are very good. Plenty of sticky fingers with these.

8. rita cook italian

25th October 2012 at 12:02 am

I like the soft brown sponge, and the blackcurrant jam topping: sharp and sweet, a tea time treat! PS I haven’t heard of nonnettes either…thank you for introducing me a new cake!!

28th October 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Rita. Traditionally they are cooked with marmalade so again you have the tart bitterness to offset the sweetness. I am now a big fan, though I have never tried an authentic one from France.

9. Katharine

25th October 2012 at 2:07 pm

Can’t believe that I lived in France for a year and have been going on holiday there all my life and yet have never come across nonnettes! What have I been doing all this time? They look and sound divine and the flavours you’ve used are inspired! Gorgeous!

28th October 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Katharine – I’ve never come across them in France either and I’ve been a fair few times. But now I know about them I shall be on the look out 😉

10. Kate@whatkatebaked

25th October 2012 at 6:41 pm

What a lovely Autumnal recipe! I too have never heard of nonnettes, but I can see why they must be super popular! Thank you for such a wonderful entry into TTT!

28th October 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Kate – I think I shall be posting about nonnettes here until everyone is thoroughly sick of them 😉

11. Caroline

28th October 2012 at 6:29 pm

I really must get round to making nonnettes, you always make them look so good – I’ve just found a jar of honey in my cupboard BBE July 2012 – wonder if it’ll still be ok to use?

28th October 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thanks C. Your honey will be absolutely fine.

12. Baking Addict

31st October 2012 at 11:54 pm

An impressive multi blog challenge entry. They look absolutely amazing!! I love the flavour combinations and nonnettes is a brilliant N for AlphaBakes.

13. prwilson

2nd March 2014 at 12:29 am

Never heard of a nonnette before.