Chocolate and Coconut Bars
It was film night at a friends house a week or three ago and I needed something to take for us all to munch on – something that was easily portable and could be made the day before. The first book I took off the shelf to get inspiration was Bake by Rachel Allen. About three pages in, I saw the recipe for these bars – perfect, no more hunting needed. I recollected having seen them recently on another blog, but couldn’t remember whose they were, I do remember they had a good report though. Apart from the chocolate topping, I mostly followed the original recipe.
- Bashed 3oz cornflakes up in a bowl until they were large crumbs.
- Added 5oz desiccated coconut and a pinch of salt then stirred until well mixed.
- Creamed 8oz unsalted butter with 5oz caster sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Mixed in the cornflakes and coconut.
- Finally added 5oz flour (1/2 wholemeal & half white), 1 tsp baking powder and 1oz cocoa.
- Incorporated this as best I could – it wasn’t very easy.
- Tipped contents out into a 9″ square silicone thingie and pressed the mixture down with the back of a spoon until it was firm and level.
- Baked at 180C for 20 mins.
- Left to cool.
- Melted 6oz 35% milk chocolate (Green & Black’s) in a bowl over hot water.
- Stirred in 1oz unsalted butter.
- Spread this over the base and left to cool.
- Cut into 16 squares.