Coconut and Chocolate Vegan Flapjacks

Flapjacks, Vegan | 2nd August 2011 | By

As well as the apricot curd chocolate sandwich cake I made to take to work, I also needed something suitable for a vegan colleague to eat. I ummed and I ahhed and then ran out of time so I needed something fast. Flapjacks fitted the bill. To make them a bit more special, I decided to top them with a chocolate coconut ganache, the idea for which I got from Lifescape and which recipe I based these on. I’ve never made flapjacks without butter before, so I was interested to see how they would turn out. My biggest problem here was trying to find a margarine that didn’t have trans-fats in it. As for the question of palm oil, I just had to throw my hands up on that one – sorry orang utans. If the ingredient says vegetable oil, you can bet your bottom dollar this means palm oil. In this case it actually owned up to having palm oil in the ingredients, but it was that or nothing – the trials of trying to buy ethically.

This is how I did it:

• Melted 175g of vegan margarine with 2 tbsp golden syrup.
  • Stirred in 175g sugar (half muscovado and half demerara)
  • Stirred in 180g rolled oats, 80g desiccated coconut and a pinch of rock salt.
  • Pressed into a 9″ square mould and baked for 18 minutes at 180C.
  • Left to cool in the mould.
  • Melted 100g 70% dark chocolate with 2 tbsp of coconut milk.
  • Stirred until smooth then spread over the cooled flapjack.
  • When set, cut into 16 pieces.

Thankfully, these proved to be popular. The coconut gave a rich moistness to them and the chocolate topping worked really well. To my palate, the margarine gave an authentic shop bought taste (I think I’ll stick to butter) but they were still good. I’m now wondering what they would have been like made with oil instead of margarine – will have to try that next time.

Tags: ,

1. Jacqueline

2nd August 2011 at 7:49 am

No wonder they went down so well, they sound like such a treat. I love the addition of coconut and the ganache sounds great. A good way of making it vegan. I am going to try these for Cooper.

2. Val

2nd August 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m positive vegan or not, these flapjacks are a favourite and a definite treat!

3. freerangegirl

2nd August 2011 at 1:01 pm

Looking great!

4. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

2nd August 2011 at 12:38 pm

well they look divine… I was about to say ‘what about sunflower oil’ until I read your last paragraph, bet they taste great with the coconut. x

2nd August 2011 at 4:07 pm

They sound delish – not surprised they were such a popular treat.

2nd August 2011 at 7:32 pm

That looks like a great traybake, really tasty.

2nd August 2011 at 8:24 pm

Jac – Thank you, I was very taken with the coconut ganache and will be using that again and again.

Val – Thanks, you’re right, it’s always good to find something that everyone can eat.

Dom – yes, that’s what I shall try next time.

FreeRangeGirl – thanks

Chele – thanks, surprisingly good I found.

Janice – Thank you

8. Baking Addict

2nd August 2011 at 10:10 pm

These look great. I’ve just posted about flapjacks – just plain ones though. I will definitely try adding something else next time.

9. Working london mummy

3rd August 2011 at 10:52 pm

looks lovely! I would balk at cooking for a vegan so well done – and looks delicious too x

4th August 2011 at 6:17 am

Baking Addict – flapjacks are brilliantly versatile, delicious plain or with any number of things added to them.

WLM – Thanks. I don’t really have a problem cooking savoury vegan food, but baking I find more difficult as I do like to use eggs and butter :-S

11. C

4th August 2011 at 6:46 pm

They look great! I haven’t done much vegan baking – like you, I like to use butter and eggs, but I did make some really delicious chocolate avocado cakes that were vegan and amazing!

You’re very thoughtful to cater for all of your colleagues!

6th August 2011 at 6:21 am

when I grew up my mum often used margarine for baking so I don’t mind using it but now I wonder if there is palm oil in my favourite vegan margarine – the flapjacks sound great – who cares if there is not butter so long as there is a rich chocolate topping

13. Foodycat