Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch – A Traybake with Attitude

Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch Traybake

Traybakes | 13th August 2017 | By

This cinnamon coconut chocolate crunch traybake is a real crowd pleaser. It’s ideal for parties where both children and adults will love it. It has less sugar than similar bakes, but its nutty crunchiness will have you coming back for more. It’s quick and easy to make; the hardest part is waiting for the chocolate crunch to cool and set.

Moving

I’m in the process of moving house which inevitably means I’m having to sort through the fifteen years’ worth of stuff I’ve accumulated since living here. This is a mixed blessing. On the downside it takes time and all of the decisions that need to be made are exhausting. On the upside however, it feels good to clear up and clear out. It also means I’ve been rediscovering bits and pieces I’d completely forgotten about and lots of memories have resurfaced.

Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch Traybake

Cookbook Inspiration

One such item was the cookbook Ann Carr’s Recipe Collection. It was a gift from Kath at The Ordinary Cook several years ago and had been sitting under a dusty pile of books, lost and forgotten. As soon as I opened it, I saw several recipes I was keen to make. My eyes quickly fell on Mayoress Cakes. Well there’s no story attached to know how this crunchy traybake got its name, but as soon as I saw the ingredients I knew it would be good. I remember making something very similar a few years ago, these chocolate and coconut bars and they proved to be very popular.

Chocolate Crunch My Way

As usual, I ended up doing my own thing and used the recipe as a rough guide only. I’m trying to use things up in my kitchen and not buy any more ingredients. This meant I added more than double the cornflakes, less than half of the coconut and a whole load of nuts that weren’t in the original recipe at all. I also added cinnamon, which I thought would give it extra pizzaz. For the topping, I preferred the idea of a chocolate ganache type, rather than cocoa icing, so I made an indent into my chocolate stash too. Less stuff to lug in the removals van. As ever, I used less sugar than specified for both the chocolate crunch and the topping.

Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch Traybake

The result is a scrumptious and very moreish traybake with attitude. Scents of cinnamon and chocolate baking found their way into every corner of the house. The chocolate crunch is rather crumbly so take care when cutting it. I found a serrated knife works best. CT, on the other hand, found grabbing a large slice and diving in worked best for him. Each to their own.

Chocolate Crunch – Get The Recipe

0 from 0 votes
Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch Traybake
Cinnamon Coconut Chocolate Crunch
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
35 mins

An easy to make traybake with a crunchy biscuity texture. Nuts and cornflakes give additional crunch and the cinnamon and chocolate make it extra scrumptious.
Course: Afternoon Tea
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 50 g light muscovado sugar
  • pinch of Himalayan pink rock salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 150 g dark chocolate I used 72%
Chocolate Crunch
  1. Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and give it a good stir.
  2. Pour in the butter and mix until everything is coated and well mixed.
  3. Press into a 9" (23cm) sq silicone mould or lined tin.

4. Bake at 180℃ for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on how crisp you like it. Leave to cool in the tin.

Chocolate Topping
  1. Add all the ingredients to a pan and set over low heat until everything is melted.
  2. Give it a good stir and pour over the chocolate crunch whilst it's still warm.
  3. Leave the crunch to cool and the topping to set.
  4. Cut into 16 squares.
Recipe Notes

Will keep up to a week if kept in a cool place.

We Should Cocoa LogoThis is my entry into this month’s We Should Cocoa. Do join in if you’ve made anything which features chocolate as a major ingredient.

Treat Petite BadgeI’m also sending my chocolate crunch to Treat Petite over at The Baking Explorer.

Bake of the Week LogoLikewise it goes to Bake of the Week with Mummy Mishaps and Casa Costello.

Chocolate Crunch. PIN IT

Cinnamon & Coconut Chocolate Crunch Traybake with a Cinnamon Chocolate Ganache Topping

1. Lucy

13th August 2017 at 8:09 pm

Mmm I can almost smell this baking! It sounds so easy to make as well which is great. That cinnamon chocolate ganache topping looks and sounds delicious. I bet my girls would love to make this with me one day very soon. #bakeoftheweek

14th August 2017 at 9:44 am

Oh yes Lucy. This would be a really good one to make with your girls. I’m sure they’d love bashing the cornflakes – I did 😉

2. Dannii

13th August 2017 at 8:18 pm

This looks incredible. I used to love making desserts with corn flakes when I was a kid, but this looks like a much more grown up version.

14th August 2017 at 9:43 am

I don’t know if it’s a more grown up version, but it’s delicious and so easy to make too.

13th August 2017 at 8:51 pm

This sounds like entirely the most fabulous tray bake and I am definitely going to be bookmarking this to make. Good luck with the clearing out and stop reading the cook books, just pack them away!

14th August 2017 at 9:46 am

Hahaha, sound advice, but so difficult to do. Do make the traybake, it’s a good one.

4. jenny paulin

13th August 2017 at 9:57 pm

oooooh this looks delicious and what a great way to incorporate cornflakes into a traybake. I bet the coconut and chocolate with the cinnamon added a delicious flavour to them too.
    I was looking through some of my cookbooks the other day, and thought that I really must start making some of the recipes – in my own way off course too!
    thank you for linking up to #Bakeoftheweek x

14th August 2017 at 9:48 am

I don’t use my cookbook’s enough. I have phases of taking them to bed to read at night, then go months without looking at a single one.

5. Anca

14th August 2017 at 7:11 am

The traybake looks so nice, the chocolate is so shiny. I would love to try it. 🙂

I hope the move goes smoothly.

14th August 2017 at 9:49 am

Thanks Anca. It’s such an easy traybake to make, you must give it a try.

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes

14th August 2017 at 10:08 am

Very tempting with crunchy bottom and silky chocolate topping…heavenly! All the BEST with moving.

14th August 2017 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Angie. Bakes like these certainly help 🙂

7. Mary

14th August 2017 at 10:18 am

Cinnamon? Chocolate? Sounds like a good addition to the empty cake tin in the cupboard. Sounds YUM! Must away to buy some cornflakes…… Thanks for the inspiration

14th August 2017 at 1:06 pm

Empty cake tin? That will never do. The cornflakes are essential for the crunch, but give a good flavour too.

8. Kat (The Baking Explorer)

14th August 2017 at 7:40 pm

These sound gorgeous, I love the flavour mix! I don’t think I’d be ble able to resist eating several pieces! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

15th August 2017 at 8:44 am

They are indeed quite hard to resist, but we’ve been eking them out and still have four left 🙂

9. Galina V

15th August 2017 at 7:56 pm

What a delightful traybake, with all my favourite flavours of chocolate, coconut and salt. I haven’t heard of the cook book or a Mayoress cake.

16th August 2017 at 8:42 am

The Mayoress Cake was a new one on me, but the concept was a familiar one. It was good to have a reminder though.

10. johanna @ green gourmet giraffe

16th August 2017 at 1:00 am

good luck with your move – after 15 years it must be a huge job but also very cathartic. I love the sound of your slice – definitely ganache on top for me too – though we don’t have much of a chocolate stash as it goes too quickly here!

16th August 2017 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Johanna, it’s getting quite close now and I’m, of course, not at all ready. Haha! I’m a bit of a chocolate hoarder. When I see a bargain, I tend to buy a load.

11. Jacqueline Meldrum

27th August 2017 at 9:39 am

Those look amazing Choclette, I am totally drooling here. If only I could reach in! Shared 🙂

29th August 2017 at 8:58 pm

I think not being able to reach in is the only saving grace to all these amazing online recipes. I’d be doomed otherwise 😉