A most moreish morsel of light sponge made with egg whites and flavoured with rhubarb and white chocolate. These rhubarb friands are gluten-free, easy to bake and even easier to eat.
Back along, nearly three years ago to be exact, I hosted a six course chocolate themed dinner party for friends. These rhubarb friands with white chocolate (that’s with an a not an e) accompanied the rhubarb, rose and white chocolate ice-cream that made up the last course but one. With rhubarb already in season, this seems like a good time to finally publish the recipe.
What Are Friands?
Friands are the Australian version of the better known French financiers. They’re cakes made with egg whites, so are a lighter bake than your average sponge. Traditionally, they’re made with a mix of ground almonds and flour. However, I always use buckwheat flour in my friands so as to make them gluten free and why not? It seems to work as they are extremely moreish and it also makes them more inclusive.
Friands are also easy to prepare and quick to bake. I’ve neither the traditional oval friand moulds, nor the rectangular financier ones, so I make do with plain old muffin moulds. Actually, I use mini ones more often than not as they’re a perfect size for a party or after-dinner treat. Mini sized also gives a good balance of crisp outer edge and soft, light interior. Tuck in.
Rhubarb Friands with White Chocolate
Tart and flavoursome rhubarb gives a lovely lift to these sweet little cakes. They’re incredibly quick to make as you don’t need to cream butter and sugar together as you do for a normal sponge cake. All you really need to do is melt the butter and white chocolate together, allow it to cool a little then mix in all the other ingredients.
There, I said it was easy.
I do have one quick tip on how to make these rhubarb friands just as they should be though. Make sure to chop the rhubarb quite finely so that it cooks through. The Friands are only in the oven for fifteen minutes.
Other Friand Recipes You Might Like
- Brown butter choc chip friands via Tin and Thyme
- Cinnamon choc chip friands via Tin and Thyme
- Hazelnut and white chocolate friands via As Strong as Soup
- Raspberry friands via Tin and Thyme
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these cute little rhubarb friands, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate the recipe. Have you any top tips? Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like more rhubarb recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious, of course.
Rhubarb Friands. PIN IT.
Rhubarb Friands – The Recipe
Rhubarb Friands with White Chocolate
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 25 g white chocolate I used Green & Black's
- 25 g trimmed rhubarb – chopped very finely
- 1 large egg white I used a duck egg
- 40 g golden icing sugar
- 15 g buckwheat flour
- 20 g ground almonds
- Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat with the white chocolate. Stir and leave to cool a little.
- Whisk the egg white in a large bowl until frothy, but not stiff.
- Sieve in the icing sugar and whisk.
- Gently stir in the melted butter mixture followed by the rhubarb.
- Sieve in the buckwheat flour and fold in together with the ground almonds.
- Divide the mixture between 12 silicone mini cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) until golden, firm and well risen.
- Leave to cool for a little, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This month We Should Cocoa is being hosted by another baking luminary, Helen at Casa Costello. She has chosen red/pink as the theme for this month, so my pink rhubarb friands fit in perfectly I reckon.
My rhubarb friands also go to Lucy the Baking Queen for Perfecting Patisserie.