Cornish Asparagus Risotto with Peas and Wild Garlic Pesto

Cornish Asparagus Risotto

Cornish, Dinner, Vegan | 27th April 2017 | By

Cornish asparagus is up and out and I’m at the ready with my knife and fork and pan of boiling water. Not quite, but I couldn’t resist buying a bunch when I passed our local greengrocer yesterday. Apart from grilling them and eating them for breakfast with scrambled egg on toast, I thought a fresh and simple Cornish asparagus risotto with peas and wild garlic pesto would be just the thing.

Asparagus has a short season and it’s one I look forward to every year. Asparagus is at its best when eaten fresh, so the more local you can get it, the better. We’ve tried growing it in the past, but we’ve sadly not had much success. It’s a notoriously difficult crop to grow. It’s a bit too early for fresh peas, so I’ve used frozen ones, but you might get lucky later in the asparagus season.

Cornish Asparagus Risotto with Wild Garlic Pesto and Peas

The risotto turned out perfectly. I didn’t want to overpower the asparagus flavour, so I was cautious with my addition of pesto. You could just about get the flavour of wild garlic, but the asparagus was very much to the fore with the peas forming a nice back note. I have three recipes for wild garlic pesto, all delicious. Two are on the link I’ve just given and I also have a roasted hazelnut version. Take your pick.

The recipe for Cornish asparagus risotto is not quite vegan as I’ve used cheese to make my pesto. But substitute this with a dairy-free version and you have a delicious vegan dinner for two.

Cornish Asparagus Risotto
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Cornish Asparagus Risotto with Peas and Wild Garlic Pesto

A delicately flavoured fresh spring risotto.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Cornish, Italian
Servings: 2 people

• 6-8 asparagus spears - depending on size
  • 100 g fresh or frozen peas
  • 500 ml water
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion - diced
  • 175 g risotto rice
  • 100 ml white wine
  • 1 heaped tsp wild garlic pesto (or pesto of your choice)

• Snap of the woody ends of the asparagus, cut in half and set aside.
  • Slice the asparagus spears into 2 cm pieces, keeping the tips to one side.
  • Bring the water to the boil.
  • Add the salt and asparagus pieces. Cover and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the asparagus tips and peas and simmer for a further 2 minutes or until just tender.
  • Drain, reserving the water.
  • Place the water back in the pan and add the halved asparagus ends. Simmer until stock is needed.
  • Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Fry over a gently heat until translucent. Add the rice and stir to coat.
  • Add the wine, followed by a ladle of the asparagus stock and stir. As soon as the liquid has been absorbed, add another one. Repeat until all of the stock has been used up.
  • Add the pesto and asparagus pea mixture, clamp on a lid and allow to steam for a minute or two.
  • Stir and serve.

Notes

Use a vegan pesto to make this a totally vegan dish.

Meat Free MondaysI’m sending my Cornish asparagus risotto with peas and wild garlic pesto to Meat Free Mondays over at Tinned Tomatoes.

Simple and in Season LogoThis fresh spring risotto also goes to Feeding Boys for Simple and in Season.

Cook Blog ShareAnd finally #CookBlogShare which is hosted this week at Everyday Healthy Recipes.

Other asparagus recipes you might like

1. Jacqueline Meldrum

27th April 2017 at 2:16 pm

I’ve not had my first asparagus of the season yet but this looks a great way to serve it. Shared!

28th April 2017 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Jac. You’re in for a treat. I love asparagus season.

2. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet

27th April 2017 at 2:20 pm

Wow, what a fantastic way to make use of asparagus. Now if only I could get my hand on wild garlic…

28th April 2017 at 9:28 pm

Can’t you get your hands on wild garlic Michelle? It grows in most places.

3. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

27th April 2017 at 2:38 pm

I love asparagus and yes, it’s definitely better when it’s fresh and in season. I also love risotto but I was born without the ‘risotto making gene’ unfortunately. I should keep trying though then I could make this!

28th April 2017 at 9:30 pm

I hadn’t thought I might have a risotto making gene – how intriguing! You gotta try making asparagus risotto, it’s so good.

4. Fiona Maclean

27th April 2017 at 3:46 pm

I’ve loved asparagus since I was a kid. We grew it in the garden and I can remember my mother getting SO excited when asparagus season started. And, I do love it like this in a risotto too!

28th April 2017 at 9:27 pm

Your mother did well. It’s quite hard to grow asparagus. How wonderful to get it so totally fresh.

5. Ren Behan

27th April 2017 at 4:10 pm

I love an asparagus risotto – perhaps my most favourite way of eating at all – a good tasty stock and a lot of Parmesan – perfect. Lovely photos, too.

28th April 2017 at 9:25 pm

Thanks Ren. Asparagus has such a good flavour, little else is needed.

6. Jacqui Bellefontaine

27th April 2017 at 4:35 pm

Asparagus and wild garlic – YUM what a fabulous seasonal recipe. Im pinning to try later and ive pinned the recipe for garlic pesto too:)

28th April 2017 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Jacqui, it’s a lovely combination. Hope you manage to find some wild garlic. The pesto is just brilliant for so many things.

7. gloria

27th April 2017 at 4:35 pm

Love all with asparagus, look delicious !!

28th April 2017 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Gloria. Asparagus is so good here at this time of year.

8. Angie@Angie's Recipes

27th April 2017 at 6:42 pm

Wild garlic and asparagus are so good for us. This is a lovely spring risotto, Choclette.

28th April 2017 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Angie. I haven’t really looked into the health benefits of asparagus. I’d better go and find out 😉

9. jenny paulin

27th April 2017 at 6:44 pm

this looks delicious, and I love the freshness of it. There is so much wild garlic growing near me – I really need to go snd get myself some and learn how to cook with it x

28th April 2017 at 9:18 pm

Oh yes Jenny. Do get some and make pesto with it. It’s so easy and can be used with so many things. I’ve got three different recipes for it on the blog.

10. Jo @ Jo's Kitchen Larder

27th April 2017 at 8:51 pm

I love risotto! It is my go to on busy weekdays and this recipe is just lovely. I am so intrigued by wild garlic which I have seen used in pestos etc. a lot lately but cannot seem to get my hand on. I better try and forage some I guess 🙂

28th April 2017 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Jo. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen wild garlic for sale, but even if it is, foraging your own will ensure freshness.

11. kellie@foodtoglow

28th April 2017 at 9:39 am

Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables (after kale and cauliflower!) and risotto is one of our favourite meal time ways of enjoying it. Yours looks a perfect, classic way to enjoy the king of spring veg 🙂

28th April 2017 at 9:14 pm

It really is a fab vegetable Kellie, I look forward to the asparagus season every year. The wild garlic adds a nice touch.

12. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

28th April 2017 at 11:27 am

Oooh I need to research where to find some wild garlic from. This meal looks and sounds so good! x #CookBlogShare

28th April 2017 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Kirsty. You should find it growing in woods and hedgerows – if you’ve got any of those nearby.

13. Monika Dabrowski

28th April 2017 at 1:38 pm

What a gorgeous spring recipe, using seasonal asparagus, sweet garden peas and wild garlic pesto – I had no idea you could buy wild garlic pesto! Must look out for it next time I go shopping. I love how light this dish is, too. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare:)

28th April 2017 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Monika. I’m not sure you can buy wild garlic pesto. I make my own. I’ve three different recipes on the blog – all good 🙂

14. Charlene Flash

28th April 2017 at 8:58 pm

Looks wonderful. Asparagus is such a wonderful vegetable. I would love to make this dish at home x

28th April 2017 at 9:06 pm

Asparagus is just so good Charlene and it works beautifully in risotto.

15. Mari

28th April 2017 at 11:22 pm

This looks so delicious, Choclette! I’m in the process of getting to know asparagus more because I didn’t cook/eat it much but would really like too… after few trials with wild and regular asparagus I’m in search of more ideas. Risotto sounds great! 🙂

29th April 2017 at 7:58 pm

Asparagus works really well in risotto, but I also love it just boiled, grilled or roasted.

16. Amber

1st May 2017 at 4:21 am

I love asparagus season, unfortunately it’s a long way off for me! This is a lovely looking risotto.

3rd May 2017 at 9:17 am

Er yes, I guess it is. What seasonal produce are you enjoying instead?

17. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

1st May 2017 at 8:56 am

I know just what you mean about asparagus – it’s such a short season isn’t it – though I guess that makes us appreciate it all the more. I love the idea of adding a wild garlic pesto into the risotto. It sounds absolutely delicious.
    Angela x

3rd May 2017 at 9:15 am

Thanks Angela. I really like seasonal food for that very reason. I’ve so much wild garlic pesto at the moment, I’m adding it to everything, but it did work really well in this risotto.

18. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

1st May 2017 at 11:39 am

That sounds lovely! I haven’t made risotto is months but it is always so good for the soul!

3rd May 2017 at 9:10 am

It is Rebecca, especially when it contains the new season asparagus 🙂

19. pebble soup

1st May 2017 at 6:16 pm

I’m just back from Cornwall, I couldn’t believe the abundance of wild garlic and this is an amazing way to use it. Though I’m not sure that I am prepared to pay £2 for a tiny bunch.

3rd May 2017 at 9:09 am

Oh, I hope you had a lovely time down here. I’ve never seen wild garlic for sale. £2 sounds like an awful lot.