Wild Garlic Pesto Two Ways – Quick, Easy & Delicious

Wild Garlic Pesto

Wild garlic is a forager’s favourite: it’s easy to see, easy to identify and easy to gather. It tastes great too if you’re a garlic lover like I am. The season is quite short, so time is of the essence. This year, for the first time, I made wild garlic pesto. It’s so good and so versatile, I’ve been using it in all sorts of recipes. More of that later.

Wild Garlic Foraging

Whilst it’s true that wild garlic, also known as ramsons (Allium ursinum), is easy to identify, it’s important when foraging that you are 100% sure you know what you’re picking. Wild garlic could be mistaken for lily of the valley or cuckoo pint, both of which are poisonous. If it doesn’t smell strongly of garlic, don’t pick it. This webpage might prove useful. Before you go helping yourself, do make sure you’ve got permission to harvest from the landowner.

Wild Garlic Leaves (or Ramsons)

Wild Garlic Pesto

I used my optimum 9200A Froothie power blender for this super quick no fuss wild garlic pesto. Once the wild garlic leaves are picked, washed and dried, it’s just a simple process of bunging everything into the blender and pressing a button. A food processor should be able to do the job too.

Wild Garlic Pesto - Frozen

You can, of course, use any nut you have to hand to make pesto and cheese is optional. I’ve made two batches so far and both were delicious. I went with the classic basil pesto ingredients of pine nuts, Parmesan and olive oil for my first attempt as I just happened to have them in the house. I know Parmesan Reggiano isn’t vegetarian, but there are various Parmesan type cheeses available that are suitable. The second batch, made a few days later for freezing, contained almonds and cheddar cheese.

Pesto Pasta

Pesto Pasta

One of the best uses for pesto is, of course, pasta. I like to prepare some wholemeal pasta in the normal way and then throw in a few broccoli florets about 4-5 minutes before the pasta is ready. Once drained, I stir through a couple of spoons of pesto and hey presto, you have a very quick but delicious and nutritious meal. I’ve also been spreading it on toast and using it as a sandwich filling. I’ve a fab recipe for wild garlic cheese scones coming up soon too.

Wild Garlic Pesto – The Recipe

5 from 1 vote
Wild Garlic Pesto
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

Whether made with pine nuts or almonds, Parmesan or cheddar, this pesto is not only delicious, but a great way to use your foraged wild garlic. Out of season, basil, parsley, spinach or other soft greens can be used instead.
Course: Main Course, Snack
Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: dip, pasta, pesto, sauce, spread, wild garlic
Servings: 3 small jars
Calories: 101 kcal
Author: Choclette
  • 150 g wild garlic leaves - well washed and dried
  • 100 g pine nuts or blanched almonds
  • 100 g vegetarian parmesan type cheese or a good cheddar cheese
  • 125 ml extra virgin olive oil plus a little bit more to pour over the top
  1. Place everything in a blender or food processor and blitz until combined and you have the texture you like - I use my Optimum Blender.

2. Spoon into small sterilised jars (I made 3 jars with this quantity). Top with a little olive oil and seal. Store in the fridge.
Recipe Notes

If the pesto is topped with olive oil to help seal it, it should store in the fridge for a couple of weeks or so.

You can also spoon into portion size moulds and freeze until needed.

It's worth using a good quality olive oil for this.

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition Facts
Wild Garlic Pesto
Amount Per Serving
Calories 101 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10.2g 16%
Saturated Fat 1.8g 9%
Cholesterol 3mg 1%
Sodium 82mg 3%
Potassium 73mg 2%
Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1%
Calcium 5%
Iron 3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Linkies

I’m sending my wild garlic pesto pasta to Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays

Other recipes using wild garlic you might like

Wild Garlic Pesto. PIN IT.

Wild Garlic Pesto - Fresh and Frozen

I use the Optimum 9200A for smoothies, spreads, sauces and even chocolate making. The post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.

1. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche

8th April 2016 at 1:02 pm

I’ve made pesto dozens of times, with and without cheese, but have never thought of using cheddar! Duh! This looks fab, I need to get my hands on some wild garlic!

8th April 2016 at 1:08 pm

You do Becca and soon too. They are already beginning to flower here.

2. Nadia

8th April 2016 at 1:15 pm

I’ve never tried wild garlic, but I love pesto and I know I would love this! Homemade pesto is the besto 😉

8th April 2016 at 5:45 pm

Hehe, yes indeed Nadia. I’ve never yet had a shop bought one I liked. Time you found yourself some wild garlic though.

3. Nicky

8th April 2016 at 1:18 pm

Wow that sounds amazing. I’ve never tried wild garlic leaves – are they milder than using regular garlic? Got to try this!

8th April 2016 at 5:46 pm

Yes milder than regular garlic, but they still have a bit of a kick.

4. Jenn

8th April 2016 at 1:58 pm

Yum!! Nothing better than a super fresh pesto! That pasta looks incredible!

8th April 2016 at 5:48 pm

For something so fast to prepare, pesto really is amazing. As for the pasta, we’ve been eating rather a lot of it recently 😉

5. Lucy Parissi

8th April 2016 at 4:04 pm

Never tried wild garlic – would love to though. Sounds delicious and would be so lovely to photograph! I think wild garlic pesto pizza would be amazing – must look out for it somehow

8th April 2016 at 5:49 pm

Oh yes Lucy, a pesto pizza could be amazing. You really need to get out there and do some foraging. The season will soon be over.

6. Healthoop

8th April 2016 at 4:57 pm

I just like to make something that is quick, easy and delicious like your wild garlic pesto. To be honest, I don’t like to add too much garlic to food but your pesto looks so yummy, thanks Choclette for sharing!

8th April 2016 at 5:59 pm

Pesto is just perfect for when you’re in a hurry or just can’t be bothered to do much. Although if you don’t like garlic, not sure how much you’d like this pesto.

7. Paola

9th April 2016 at 1:42 am

This is great, I have just made pesto myself in past dew days. So tasty!

9th April 2016 at 3:02 pm

Once you’ve made pesto, it’s hard to go back to shop bought I’ve found.

8. Harriet Emily

9th April 2016 at 10:14 am

This pesto looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I love that you used wild garlic! Yum!

9th April 2016 at 3:05 pm

At the moment, I can’t get enough of it Harriet, but expect I’ll be sick of it by the time the season is over – which will be very soon I reckon.

3rd May 2016 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Harriet. Our wild garlic is pretty much over now and it seems a long time to go until I can make some more.

9. Corina

9th April 2016 at 7:37 pm

I love pesto but have never made it with wild garlic before! In fact, I’ve never made anything with wild garlic but I’d love to get my hands on some.

11th April 2016 at 8:02 am

Although there’s tons of it around our way, it’s actually quite hard to find any that’s away from busy roads and dogs.

10. Anna @ shenANNAgans

10th April 2016 at 10:49 am

Just today I whipped up a giant batch of pesto and wondered if freezing my bounty would work. You’ve answered my question, thank you. 🙂

11th April 2016 at 8:05 am

It’s great to have pesto to hand at pretty much any time Anna. It may not be quite as good as thoroughly fresh pesto, but it’s still heaps better than shop bought.

11. the caked crusader

10th April 2016 at 11:23 am

I’ve never had wild garlic – I love the idea of foraging but would never quite trust myself to pick the right stuff…leaf identification is not my talent!
    Your pesto looks lovely – I could eat it by the spoonful!

11th April 2016 at 8:06 am

Well yes indeed CC, it’s always better to be safe than sorry where wild foods are concerned. I still can’t get enough of this pesto, it’s wonderful.

12. Dom

10th April 2016 at 1:11 pm

looks so good. I love that you’ve frozen it into cubes and reminds me that I froze some whole leaves last year… must dig them out to see if they’re any good… we’re lucky up here in Lincs as our WG season seems to be slightly later than most and goes on for at least 3 weeks so I know I am sure to get some. There’s a hidden valley near by that reeks of the stuff. Good times!

11th April 2016 at 8:08 am

Oh good times indeed, although I find by the time they start reeking, they’re past their best. Would be interested to know how your frozen leaves turn out.

13. Alida @My Little Italian Kitchen

11th April 2016 at 10:22 am

Wonderful! I made this only once. Your version looks great!

11th April 2016 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Alida. Why only once, didn’t you like it?

14. Kate - gluten free alchemist

13th April 2016 at 11:39 am

I’ve been loving the arrival of wild garlic this year (although I confess….. I have been buying it from our local greengrocer rather than foraging for it)…… Pesto sounds like a fantastic use for it (I would never have thought of that!)….. and not sure why freezing portions has never crossed my mind either! Thanks!!!!

14th April 2016 at 1:21 pm

Finding new ideas, information and inspiration is one of the reasons why I love blogging Kate 🙂

15. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

14th April 2016 at 4:05 pm

I got wild garlic for the first time in my veg box this week and have made some soup with it. Now I know what else to use it for!

14th April 2016 at 7:02 pm

Haha, I got it in my veg box too, so promptly made yet another batch!

16. Sarah

28th April 2016 at 5:29 pm

I would love to make wild garlic pesto! It sounds so delicious. I must go on the hunt for some and try it out in my Froothie. 🙂

29th April 2016 at 4:10 pm

Oh, you absolutely must Sarah, I imagine if you’re quick, you should be able to find some.

17. ManjiriK

1st May 2016 at 9:21 pm

Oh God I must get myself some wild garlic before it disappears , the nettles seem to have gone already ! I love garlic and adore wild garlic soup. I will definitely be freezing some wild garic pesto cubes for use later. Need to try this pesto with cheddar!

18. Stuart Vettese

5th May 2016 at 10:17 pm

Love the idea of freezing the cubes. I have a jar of pesto in the fridge, this now pales into insignificance!!!

8th May 2016 at 9:28 am

Haha. It actually freezes really well. I’m still addicted to pesto.

19. Amy

5th March 2018 at 12:04 pm

What a great find! I have never come across wild garlic…but will keep an eye out for it now. Your pesto looks delicious!

5th March 2018 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Amy. It grows pretty much all over the UK, so shouldn’t be too difficult to find. Well worth the effort.