Bite sized, gluten free morsels of deliciousness. Serve these chilli chocolate chip friands with after dinner coffee or for afternoon tea. Either way, they are bound to please the chilli lovers in your life.
When I have leftover egg whites, friands are my go to bake. You can make them with one egg white or with six. They keep well and are always popular. I had a lone egg white left after making these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, so chilli chocolate chip friands it was.
Friands are delicious bite size morsels, that are a cross between a macaroon and a cake. In France, they are known as financiers. They’re made from egg whites and ground almonds. This recipe for chilli chocolate chip friands uses one egg white and makes 14 bite size bars or 6 mini muffins. If you have more egg whites leftover, however, it’s very easy to upscale the recipe.
Although a little flour is included, I always make mine gluten free by using buckwheat flour or something similar. This time I used the Free From Fairy’s wonderful wholegrain gluten free flour.
Freshly ground almonds make a real difference to the taste and texture, so I inevitably grind my own. I had some dark chilli chocolate also left over from baking some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, which I thought would work well. And it did.
Other Recipes for Leftover Egg Whites You Might Like
- Chocolate, apricot & walnut tortes via Tin and Thyme
- Chocolate macaroons via Tin and Thyme
- Coconut chocolate bars via Tin and Thyme
- Marshmallow fluff via Tinned Tomatoes
- No-churn ice-cream meringue gateau via Fuss Free Flavours
- Tuiles via Tales From The Kitchen Shed
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these gluten free friands, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate the recipe. Have you any top tips? Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like more small cake recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious and nutritious, of course.
Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands. PIN IT.
Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands – The Recipe
Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 40 g icing sugar
- 20 g freshly ground almonds
- 15 g gluten free flour (I used Free From Fairy’s)
- 15 g dark chilli chocolate
- Melt the butter in a pan and leave to cool a little.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy, then whisk in the icing sugar.
- Gently stir in the butter, followed by the almonds, flour and finally chocolate.
- Spoon into 14 mini financier moulds or 6 mini muffin moulds.
- Bake for at 180C for 12 minutes or 15 minutes, depending on what size moulds are used or until golden, firm and well risen.
- Leave to cool for a little, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
These chilli chocolate chip friands are my entry to this month’s We Should Cocoa. If you post any recipes this month which feature chocolate, be sure to take part. #WeShouldCocoa
I’m sharing these cute miniature friands with The Baking Explorer for Treat Petite.
They also go to Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary for the No Waste Food Campaign. I had a leftover egg white in need of using up and an open bar of chilli chocolate.
These gluten-free friands are also my #BakeOfTheWeek with Mummy Mishaps and Casa Costello.