Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands – Your Gluten Free Friends

Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands

When I have leftover egg whites, friands are my go to bake. You can make them with one egg white or with six. They keep well and are always popular. I had a lone egg white left after making these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, so chilli chocolate chip friands it was.

Friands

Friands are delicious bite size morsels, that are a cross between a macaroon and a cake. In France, they are known as financiers. They’re made from egg whites and ground almonds. This recipe for chilli chocolate chip friands uses one egg white and makes 14 bite size bars or 6 mini muffins. If you have more egg whites leftover, however, it’s very easy to upscale the recipe.

Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands

Although a little flour is included, I always make mine gluten free by using buckwheat flour or something similar. This time I used the Free From Fairy’s wonderful wholegrain gluten free flour. Freshly ground almonds make a real difference to the taste and texture, so I inevitably grind my own. I had some dark chilli chocolate also left over from baking the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies which I thought would work well – and it did.

Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands – The Recipe

0 from 0 votes
Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands
Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
12 mins
Total Time
22 mins

Bite size gluten free morsels of deliciousness that can be served as an after dinner coffee accompaniment or for afternoon tea.
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: Antipodean, French
Keywords: chilli chocolate, friands, gluten-free
Servings: 14 Mini Cakes
  • 30 g unsalted butter
  • 1 egg white
  • 40 g icing sugar
  • 20 g freshly ground almonds
  • 15 g gluten free flour (I used Free From Fairy's)
  • 15 g dark chilli chocolate
  1. Melt the butter in a pan and leave to cool a little.
  2. Whisk the egg whites until frothy, then whisk in the icing sugar.
  3. Gently stir in the butter, followed by the almonds, flour and finally chocolate.

4. Spoon into 14 mini financier moulds or 6 mini muffin moulds.

5. Bake for at 180C for 12 minutes or 15 minutes, depending on what size moulds are used or until golden, firm and well risen.

6. Leave to cool for a little, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Notes

You can easily upscale the recipe depending on how many egg whites you have.

Buckwheat flour works well too.

Linkies

We Should Cocoa LogoThese chilli chocolate chip friands are my entry to this month’s We Should Cocoa. If you post any recipes this month which feature chocolate, be sure to take part. #WeShouldCocoa

I’m sharing these chilli chocolate chip friands to The Baking Explorer for Treat Petite.

They also go to Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary for the No Waste Food Campaign. I had a leftover egg white in need of using up and an open bar of chilli chocolate.

These friands are also my #BakeOfTheWeek with Mummy Mishaps and Casa Costello.

Other recipes for using leftover egg white you might like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these chilli chocolate chip friands, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands. PIN IT.

Chilli Chocolate Chip Friands

1. Karen

4th May 2017 at 2:18 pm

What impeccable timing. On Saturday I’m baking a Lemon Olive Oil cake to take to a friend’s and the recipe calls for 5 egg yolks but 4 whites so I was wondering what on earth to do with one egg white. Perfect solution – thank you so much.

4th May 2017 at 3:20 pm

Brilliant Karen. Impeccable timing isn’t always my forte, but I manage it sometimes 🙂 Your lemon olive oil cake sounds scrumptious.

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes

4th May 2017 at 3:05 pm

They look fabulous! Love that you used chilli chocolate here.

4th May 2017 at 3:21 pm

Thank you Angie. The chilli chocolate makes these little friands even more special.

3. GALINA

4th May 2017 at 5:39 pm

They look so dainty and delicate. Perfect with a cup of coffee.

4th May 2017 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Galina. Yes, just the sort of dainty morsel that won’t fill you up 🙂

4. Kate - Gluten Free Alchemist

4th May 2017 at 9:15 pm

Oooohhhh I love a good Friand. It’s ages since I made them, but I do remember blogging some raspberry ones a couple of years ago…. boy were they good! Must make some more xx

6th May 2017 at 7:41 am

Oh I think you must Kate. It’s hard to go wrong with friands, but raspberry ones are some of the best.

5. Sus // roughmeasures.com

5th May 2017 at 12:29 pm

Chilli and Chocolate really are a match made in heaven aren’t they?! These gluten free treats sound delicious.

6th May 2017 at 7:38 am

Chilli and chocolate is one of my favourite combinations. I guess those ancient Mayans new what they were doing.

6. Sarah James @ Tales From The Kitchen Shed

5th May 2017 at 2:59 pm

I love friands and with the addition of chilli chocolate, I bet they’re delicious. Thanks for including my tuiles recipe Choclette.

6th May 2017 at 7:36 am

Thanks Sarah. I do love a bit of chilli chocolate 🙂 Your tuiles look so professional. I have yet to try making them, but I will try one day.

7. Jo @ Jo's Kitchen Larder

5th May 2017 at 8:23 pm

These look lovely and light and sometimes that’s all you need to satisfy the sweet tooth without going overboard. Never had friends before but will no doubt be trying them now. Love how easy it is to scale this recipe up.

6th May 2017 at 7:34 am

Thanks Jo. Friands are the antipodean version of financiers. They are great for using up egg whites and for when entertaining gluten-free friends.

8. jenny paulin

7th May 2017 at 8:04 pm

I love how these are such a great way of using up egg whites and they look so delicate and light to the touch. I love the addition of chilli chocolate too. I must bookmark these too try myself. thank you for linking up to #Bakeoftheweek x

8th May 2017 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Jenny. They are so quick and simple to make – just perfect for any leftover whites.

9. Kat (The Baking Explorer)

11th May 2017 at 12:53 pm

I always have spare egg whites around so I’ll be bookmarking this recipe! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

11th May 2017 at 1:33 pm

Well hopefully you won’t have any hanging around for much longer Kat 😉

10. Helen at Casa Costello

11th May 2017 at 2:36 pm

Ooh these look so tempting – I love friands. So versatile, quick to make and somehow I never have trouble getting the kids to eat them! Thanks so much for joining in with #BakeoftheWeek – happy to let you know that you are the featured Bake this week x

11th May 2017 at 4:13 pm

Ooh thanks Helen. That’s exciting. Will be hopping over to have a look soon 🙂

11. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet

18th May 2017 at 10:43 am

I’ve never had a friand before but what a brilliant idea to use an egg white when I’m left with some after making something naughty as curd!

22nd May 2017 at 2:33 pm

I expect friands and fruit curd would make the perfect couple 🙂

12. Asan Khana Pakana

20th May 2017 at 8:07 pm

Delicious recipe posted by you. looking great in taste and easy to make. It is a new idea of chilli and chocolate combination.

22nd May 2017 at 3:10 pm

I love chilli and I love chocolate, so this is one of my favourite combinations.

13. Anyonita

9th June 2017 at 7:07 am

Hi Choclette,
    Thank you so much for coming by to share this with us at #FreeFromFridays! You are this week’s featured blogger & I hope you stop by again today to share more of your delicious recipes! 🙂

9th June 2017 at 8:59 am

Aw, thanks Anyonita. I shall pop along to have a look.