Marzipan Macaroons or Kransekake

I do love a good macaroon, so when I was hunting around for a K for this month’s Alpha Bakes, I was delighted to find these kransekake (otherwise known as marzipan macaroons) in Scandilicious Baking by Signe Johansen. Until I found this recipe, I had no idea that almond macaroons were a Scandinavian speciality. I’ve always thought of them as very British, that is until the sophisticated Parisian macaron came along and swept all before it. Luckily, rustic macaroons are much more my style, I say that as I’d never have the patience to create the elegant structures beloved by the French. If you’d like tips on how to make the perfect macaron, hop over to Jill’s blog, Mad About Macarons.

Anyway, I digress. These macaroons contain marzipan as well as almonds and can be finished off in any number of ways. I chose to use a chocolate drizzle; the only thing that can improve macaroons or marzipan in my book, is chocolate. The bitterness of dark chocolate helps to counteract the sweetness of the macaroon resulting in a nicely balanced biscuit.

This is how I made:

Kransekake

• Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan and left to cool.
  • Roughly chopped 200g marzipan.
  • Whizzed 100g whole almonds in a food processor with the marzipan and 100g golden icing sugar until the almonds were more or less ground, but with some larger chunks still intact,
  • Broke 3 duck egg whites into a bowl and whisked briefly with a pinch of salt and a scant teaspoon of vanilla extract.
  • Whisked in the melted butter.
  • Stirred in the almond mixture. At this point I realised my mixture was too wet – I had used duck eggs rather than the medium hens eggs stated. So I added 50g ground almonds.
  • Placed in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.
  • Placed large teaspoonfuls on two lined baking trays – I made 20 but as the recipe stated 40-50, I suspect the macaroons were meant to be a lot smaller than I made them.
  • Baked at 200C for 7 minutes until just golden.
  • Much to my annoyance, the biscuits had all merged into each other, although it was my own fault for not leaving the suggested space in between each one – something I never seem to learn. So I took out a cutter and used this to shape the macaroons into presentable rounds, then left on a rack to cool.
  • I reckon from the amount of offcuts I had, I could have easily made another five or six biscuits.
  • Melted 30g dark chocolate and drizzled it over the macaroons.

Apart from my spacing disaster and ending up with two very large biscuits which I then had to rescue, I was very pleased with these macaroons. The end result looked perfectly respectable. I shall definitely make them again and take more care next time with both size and spacing. They were chewy, flavoursome and the larger pieces of nut gave added texture.

Don’t forget it’s World Baking Day this coming Sunday 19th May, so have a look at the website and #BakeBrave

It is Coeliac Awareness Week starting today (13th-19th May) and these biscuits are perfect for anyone unable to eat wheat or gluten as long as the marzipan and chocolate are properly gluten free. Some products may contain traces of gluten if they come from factories where gluten is used, so it is always worth checking the packaging. For more information on gluten free baking, pay a visit to Katie’s blog Apple and Spice.

I am sending these marzipan macaroons off to Caroline Makes who has chosen K for this month’s AlphaBakes and K is for Kranskake. This monthly challenge is hosted alternately by Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker.

I am also including these in that monthly groaning table of goodies which is Teatime Treats. Karen of Lavender and Lovage has chosen the biscuit tin and cookie jar as this month’s theme and my macaroons filled up my biscuit tin very nicely. The challenge is alternately hosted by Kate of What Kate Baked.

Classic French, the monthly challenge from Jen of Blue Kitchen Bakes is macarons this month. Guest hosted by Victoria of A Kick at the Pantry Door, I think I might be winging it with these Scandinavian macaroons, but a girl has got to try.

1. lapin d'or

13th May 2013 at 6:25 am

Lovely looking macaroons Choclette, I have that book and had forgotten the recipe was in there. Must give it a whirl and I’ll be putting chocolate on mine too.

2. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons

13th May 2013 at 7:43 am

Deliciously tempting macaroons, Choclette. Interesting they’re a Scandinavian speciality. I still can’t believe you haven’t yet made macarons, though. I mean, for somebody as talented as yourself who can produce the most perfectly exquisite cakes and sweet treats, they’d be plain sailing to you! OK, lecture over on the frilly feet pastry 😉 Your macaroons look divine – love your chocolate drizzle touch!

3. Caroline

13th May 2013 at 11:37 am

I’ve never heard of these – well done for coming up with something unusual for Alphabakes! They look especially nice with the chocolate drizzled on the top.

4. belleau kitchen

13th May 2013 at 12:09 pm

these are just so lovely!… I adore macaroons so i’m adding these to my cookie list… beautiful x

5. franglais Kitchen , Nazima

13th May 2013 at 12:51 pm

they look lovely Choclette. Really delicious and am sure you need to try the parisian versions out now!

6. Victoria Lee

13th May 2013 at 1:38 pm

Hi Choclette, these look great! We have a constant battle in our house, as I am of the Parisian Macaron persuasion, whereas the other half is firmly in the coconut based English Macaroon camp. But we are both complete suckers for marzipan, so these might just be the compromise we needed! For that reason alone I think we can overlook the Scandinavian heritage just this once 😉
    Thanks for entering them into Classic French! x

7. Baking Addict

13th May 2013 at 7:09 pm

I always thought Kransekake was a tall biscuit cake thing for weddings. I didn’t realise it had macaroon origins. Bonus that it’s gluten free. A lovely entry for AlphaBakes.

8. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

13th May 2013 at 8:40 pm

These look great – I never knew that kransekake was similar to macaroons either! Love the chocolate drizzle, too. 🙂

9. Jean

13th May 2013 at 9:59 pm

These look like lovely “roonies” – also a great entry for the letter K, which is a bit tricky!
    They would be nice to make for my friend who is a coeliac, so thanks for the recipe, I will definitely give them a try.

10. Sue/the view from great island

14th May 2013 at 4:23 am

Macaroons and chocolate—pure heaven!

11. Hannah

14th May 2013 at 3:08 pm

Marzipan macaroons sound so delicious, especially with that chocolate drizzle!

12. Corporate to Kitchen

14th May 2013 at 3:27 pm

They look delicious & stylish. I love the deco on it. I am sure it tasted yummm

13. Angie Schneider

14th May 2013 at 3:42 pm

These marzipan macaroons look beautiful and delish!

14. Jo

14th May 2013 at 9:44 pm

My marzipan loving friend would absolutely love these! Think I’ll have to share the recipe with her.

15. rita cooks italian

15th May 2013 at 9:17 am

I often eat Kransekake in Denmark. My mother in law loves baking and likes using marzipan in her creations. I tried once with not very good results (soft, soggy biscuits…). I like the good chocolate on top!!

16. Gloria Baker

15th May 2013 at 4:29 pm

I love these marzipan camarons look amazing! and love your new header, just beautiful!

17. Catherine

15th May 2013 at 5:56 pm

Love marzipan and the cookies look great. Blessings, Catherine

18. Galina Varese

16th May 2013 at 3:36 pm

Very pretty macaroons. Marzipan, almonds, chocolate, a perfect combination. I’d love to be your guest one day. 🙂

19. Alida

18th May 2013 at 10:21 pm

They look wonderful Choclette. I love all those lovely ingredients especially almonds and chocolate.. mm! A very nice biscuit.

20. Jen Price

24th May 2013 at 6:22 pm

They have marzipan and chocolate in them so that’s good enough for me! I normally only make marzipan for xmas but I think I may have to whip up a batch soon to give these a go. I know I could buy marzipan but since I started making my own a few years ago I haven’t looked back.
    Thanks for entering these into Classic French 🙂

21. Karen S Booth

30th May 2013 at 11:04 am

I ADORE marzipan and chocolate together and these are JUST perfect for the Tea Time Treats table thanks! Karen

22. itsafinefinelife

2nd June 2013 at 4:29 pm

These look lovely – was there a reason for using duck eggs? I had no idea about the Scandinavian version, thanks for sharing it.

16th June 2013 at 2:46 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner, I’ve only just spotted your comment. I generally use duck eggs in cake baking – see my duck egg post for reasons why. Hens eggs would probably have been a better bet here, but because I try and bake with duck eggs, that’s generally what I have to hand. http://choclogblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/duck-eggs.html

23. bloomers

14th August 2013 at 3:07 pm

Oooh these look lovely, I had a tasty macaroon yesterday but would really love to try making them myself!

24. Maya Russell

21st November 2013 at 6:14 pm

Lovely looking macaroons. I had no idea they were Scandinavian. I love marzipan too.

25. Danish Fedtebrød - Coconut Cookie Slices with Rum Glaze - Fab Food 4 All