Not So Jammy Dodgers with Hazelnut Mascarpone

No So Jammy Dodgers with Hazelnut Mascarpone Cream

Biscuits | 2nd June 2011 | By

Short and sweet these not so jammy dodgers are a real delight. Also known as Anglesey cakes, they’re shortbread biscuits filled with a layer of jam. Or, in this case, a hazelnut mascarpone spread. Although there are some jam ones too.

An embarrassingly long time ago now, I was delighted to find I’d won four copies of Baked and Delicious (#2-#5) along with accompanying silicone bakeware from Baking Addict’s blog The More Than Occasional Baker. Thank you Baking Addict and I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to post about it.

Silicone Bakeware

As I’ve said on more than one occasion, silicone has revolutionised my baking life. No more wasted paper and no more faffing around trying to line tins with little patience and lots of frustration. So, I was very happy to welcome a few additions to my small, but growing collection: a loaf pan, a quiche case, two small heart shape moulds and a spatula.

Not to sound too greedy, a ring mould is next on my wish list, although I’d quite like some Madeleine moulds too. Update. It took a while, but I got those Madeleine moulds in the end and they are brilliant. I’ve used them a lot, but these chocolate chilli madeleines were my first foray into this particular branch of French patisserie.

Silicone Bakeware

Times must be hard for the food publishing industry; along with issue #5 was a note saying that this was to be the last Baked & Delicious issue for the time being. Read into that what you will. Rather sad for those who were keen to build up a collection though. Confusingly, their website seems to suggest otherwise.

For an alternative take on Baked and Delicious, see Maison Cupcake’s review. You may also want to check out Kitchen Butterfly’s guide to silicone bakeware.

Anglesey Cakes

There are several things I’m keen to bake from Baked and Delicious. But the first picture to catch my eye was a lovely jammy dodger, otherwise known as Anglesey cakes. For those not in the know, these are shortbread biscuits which you sandwich together with jam – raspberry jam in this case with a little window in the top to view the shiny red stuff. On Anglesey, apparently, the children used to sing their way around the local houses giving new year good wishes. And if they were lucky they’d rewarded with these biscuits.

Not So Jammy Dodgers

I so wanted to make these, but where was the chocolate? Well of course it wasn’t that difficult to get some chocolate in there. My first thought was to use nutella, but I generally find this rather too sweet. Ha, no problem, with my new found enthusiasm for mascarpone, I would mix the two together to make a yummy chocolatey, hazelnutty creamy filling. So that’s exactly what I did.

Unusually for me, I made these biscuits with 100% plain flour. I felt they somehow needed to look nice and pale. But next time I make them, I shall use my usual wholemeal spelt flour. The original recipe stated self-raising flour, but I didn’t notice that at the time.

I used a five cm cutter and made forty not so jammy dodgers. The original recipe, however, stated forty eight.

The instructions were to sprinkle icing sugar on top, but I didn’t do this as I wanted the window kept clear.

Jammy Dodgers.

As you may have noticed from the photograph above, I did make a few jammy ones in the end. Strawberry jam took the limelight as I didn’t have any raspberry. I made them for a friend who I thought might appreciate them and very nice they were too. If truth be told, I think I prefer the jammy dodgers to the non jammy ones, even though they’re both delicious.

I don’t know what these would have been like with a raising agent, but I don’t think they needed it. The hazelnut mascarpone spread was delicious, though still rather sweet and I very much enjoyed finishing off the leftovers.

Perfect as a tea time snack, but great for parties too. A real crowd pleaser.

Other Sandwich Biscuit Recipes You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these not so jammy dodgers, or even the jammy ones, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Jammy Dodgers. PIN IT.

Jammy Dodgers aka Anglesey Cakes

Not So Jammy Dodgers – The Recipe

No So Jammy Dodgers with Hazelnut Mascarpone Cream
Print Pin
5 from 2 votes

Jammy Dodgers and Not So Jammy Dodgers

Short and sweet these shortbread biscuits filled with a layer of jam are a real delight. Or, in this case, a hazelnut mascarpone spread. Although there are some jam ones too. Also known as Anglesey cakes.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time50 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: British, Welsh
Keyword: biscuits, jam, mascarpone, nutella, shortbread
Servings: 20 biscuits
Calories: 187kcal

• 8 oz (230g) unsalted butter
  • 4 oz (115g )golden caster sugar
  • ¼ tsp sea or rock salt
  • 12 oz (345g) plain flour

Filling

• 2 tbsp hazelnut spread
  • 2 tbsp mascarpone
  • 2 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam

• Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  • Add the salt and cream some more.
  • Work in the flour and bring the dough together with your hands to form a ball.
  • Roll this out on a floured surface to thickness of about ¼ cm.
  • Cut out circles with a 5cm pastry cutter.
  • Cut a circle in the middle of half of them using a small ring cutter.
  • Re-roll the offcuts and continue until there's no dough left.
  • Place the biscuits on two baking sheets lined with baking paper and bake for 10 mins at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4). The biscuits should be a pale shade of golden.

Filling

• Mix the hazelnut spread with the mascarpone and beat until well combined.
  • Spread some of the whole biscuits with jam and some with the mascarpone mixture, leaving a small gap around the edges so the filling won't't spill out.
  • Sandwich the window biscuits on top and press down gently.

Notes

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per pancake. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used. Sticky blood orange not included.

Nutrition

Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 304IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg

Sharing

I’m sharing these not so jammy dodgers with Apply to Face Blog for #BakingCrumbs.

1. Kate@katescakesandbakes

2nd June 2011 at 8:00 am

Mcvities eat your heart out! These are brilliant!

2. Kate@katescakesandbakes

2nd June 2011 at 8:04 am

Mcvities eat your heart out! These are brilliant!

2nd June 2011 at 10:06 am

yours look very professional and delicious – shame about the magazine though if I remember some reviews it didn’t seem to have lots of recipes in it – maybe that was one reason

4. Kath

2nd June 2011 at 11:01 am

They look brilliant and I am most intrigued by your chocolate version. Good idea to combine the mascarpone and nutella, that sounds really nice. However, can a jammy dodger be beaten? It’s a tough one! I would agree with you about using plain flour in these biscuits though, not sure you would need a raising agent.

5. Sonia

2nd June 2011 at 12:50 pm

The only kind of jammy dodgers I’ve ever had were the factory kind so this really intrigues me. In fact, I first became aware of them when reading “Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging.” I love learning of regional foods through fiction (and if it’s funny, YA fiction, more so…). Thanks for sharing!

6. mangocheeks

2nd June 2011 at 5:38 pm

Re the magazine – Nah, I think your being kind. I’ve seen this before with magazine publicatiosn. I remember as a teenager my brother spend his pocket money collecting something or other attached to a magazine. The magazine folded halfway through. He was really upset. My father was livid as my brothers money had gone to waste with an incomplete collection. I’ve been wary since of magazines offering goodies.

Liking your homemade Jammy Dodgers. My favourite way was to munch round the edges and then taking one bite of the filling. Yum.

7. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

2nd June 2011 at 6:17 pm

um… love that blue silicone loaf tin, fab!

8. Nic@daydreamaboutfood

2nd June 2011 at 7:08 pm

I am completely in love with my silicone bakeware that I snaffled from my mother in law’s copy of the magazine – makes getting cakes and bread out sooo much easier.

Love these biscuits, especially with the yummy mascarpone and nutella filling

2nd June 2011 at 7:32 pm

Kate – indeed, my thoughts exactly :-0

Johanna – thank you. It always makes my day if someone says what I’ve made looks professional. As for the magazine, difficult to know what’s going on.

Kath – glad you approve and agree about the baking powder too. Mascarpone with just about anything is doing it for me at the moment – must try and make my own.

Sonia – I remember reading that book and enjoying it but don’t remember much about it esp the jammy dodgers :-S

MangoCheeks – You’re probably right. As for the JDs, I used to eat them like that too.

Dom – beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nic – thank you, glad there is some one else out there who is a silicone fan – whatever the colour!

10. Catherine

2nd June 2011 at 7:52 pm

Ooooh loving the combination of mascarpone and nutella, yum!! I’ve only ever had Jammy Dodgers from a packet, I didn’t even know they were called Anglesey cakes! I’d love one with a cup of tea right now, come to think of it! 🙂

11. cityhippyfarmgirl

2nd June 2011 at 8:11 pm

Like mango cheeks said there is a particular way these little sweet treats need to be eaten. It could be a 10 minute process to eat one.
    I went through a phase of making these all the time, then I kind of forgot…clearly that’s what I’m doing on the weekend!

12. Sarah, Maison Cupcake

2nd June 2011 at 9:06 pm

As you can imagine I’m highly amused it’s folded but I’m surprised it’s happened so fast.

Thanks for the mention… I don’t think I can be blamed after I put the boot in!!!

Lovely biscuits, we like these at home.

13. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours

2nd June 2011 at 9:24 pm

Personally I would blame Sarah! 😉

But in reality maybe everyone came to their senses?

I am hanging onto my issue 1 incase they suddenly become valuable on e-bay!

14. Maria♥

2nd June 2011 at 9:45 pm

Those Jammy Dodgers are perfect!

Maria
    x

15. The Viking

2nd June 2011 at 10:23 pm

those Jammy Dodgers look great, I want to eat 10 of them with a nice cup of tea

16. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)

3rd June 2011 at 12:14 am

You are a genius!! What a great idea to mix the nutella and mascarpone together. I bet it tasted perfect.

17. Jay

3rd June 2011 at 6:48 pm

super fab…I love this..:P
    you are welcome to my space.

18. Baking Addict

3rd June 2011 at 10:04 pm

I’m glad you got to add to your silicone collection. I love the idea of Nutella and mascarpone – I’m a total Nutella nut – no pun intended 🙂 The jam ones look good too. Think I’ll have to make some of these myself!

19. Brownieville Girl

4th June 2011 at 11:27 am

Love the idea of the Nutella and mascarpone in there – much better than Jam!!!

5th June 2011 at 3:21 pm

Catherine – these taste surprisingly like the bought jammy dodgers – only better 😉

CityHippy – Making a jammy dodger last 10 mins is some going! It’s funny how we have phases of making things. There’s all sorts of favourites I haven’t made in years.

Sarah – thanks. Can’t actually work out what’s going on with B&D – maybe it’s been taken over by someone else/

Helen – he he, in that case, my 5 should make a positive fortune.

Maria – thank you.

The Viking – these are a bit bigger than they look and 10 at one sitting would be a feat indeed – even for CT and that’s saying something!

Brittany – thank you, mascarpone and nutella is rather a good combination and am now thinking up other ways in which I can use it – shouldn’t be too difficult!

Jay – thank you.

Baking Addict – do try, these are so worth baking your own.

BVG – it’s a combo I shall be using again 🙂

21. Judith Luscombe

17th August 2013 at 8:09 am

Love jammy dodgers but have never tried making my own

22. Helen - Cooking with my kids

21st February 2020 at 9:24 pm

I love a jammy dodger, and I love the sound of the chocolatey ones too!

22nd February 2020 at 12:04 pm

There’s something very satisfying about a jammy dodger or even a non jammy one. Something to do with getting both biscuit and a filling.

23. Jenny Walters

26th February 2020 at 1:07 pm

Another recipe to get under my skin Choclette! What a beautiful filling. I too find Nutella too much without something creamier to add into it plus I too have a thing for marscapone! So I love/adore the sound of these biscuits and what a great provenance story too. Thank you so much for sharing with #BakingCrumbs

26th February 2020 at 1:26 pm

Yes, I’m not a huge fan of Nutella as I find it very sweet. But the mascarpone sorts that out very nicely. And thank you Jenny.