Chocolate Viennese Whirls with Vanilla Buttercream & Blackcurrant Jam

Plate of chocolate Viennese whirls sandwiched with blackcurrant jam and vanilla buttercream.

Biscuits, Gifts, We Should Cocoa | 4th September 2016 | By

Despite their name, Viennese whirls are a classic British biscuit. These chocolate Viennese whirls are light, short and buttery. They’re filled with vanilla buttercream and blackcurrant jam and they’re not as difficult to make as you might think. They’re just the thing for posh tea parties but also make a lovely Christmas gift.

Just in case you hadn’t noticed, Great British Bake Off is back. The whole country is watching, it seems. Last week, the bakers were given Viennese whirls as their technical challenge. Piping is the name of the game for these bakes and I hate piping. It was time for me to move outside of my comfort zone, however. Of course I had to do something a bit different, so I give you my Chocolate Viennese Whirls.

Great British Bake Off

Every week of the Bake Off, I tell myself I’m going to try my hand at one of the bakes, but time doesn’t seem to work in my favour. I didn’t manage a single one last year. The first week’s technical challenge was Jaffa cakes. These are one of CTs favourites, so I really will try and give them a go at some point. Meanwhile, I’m rather impressed with myself for trying chocolate Viennese whirls.

Chocolate Viennese Whirls

Chocolate Viennese Whirls

I hunted through my various cookbooks and found several recipes for Viennese whirls. But they were all completely different. The only common denominator I noted, was that they all contained cornflour. I ended up devising my own recipe, but managed to forget the cornflour. Despite this, my chocolate Vienese whirls were light, short, chocolatey and delicious. They not only melted in the mouth and tasted just as they should, but they retained definition too. Whirly wonderful.

Once the trauma of piping was over, the rest was a simple case of making some buttercream and sandwiching the biscuits with it, together with some of my blackcurrent chilli jam. I suspect Mary would have dubbed them “informal” on the presentation front, but I was thrilled.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this chocolate Viennese whirls, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Chocolate Viennese Whirls. PIN IT.

Chocolate Viennese Whirls – The Recipe

Print Pin
3.5 from 2 votes

Chocolate Viennese Whirls

Light, short and buttery these chocolate biscuits sandwiched with jam and buttercream make for a rather special tea time treat.
Prep Time40 mins

• 180 g plain flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tbsp milk

Vanilla Buttercream

• 50 g unsalted butter - softened
  • 100 icing sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 12 tsp jam of choice (I used homemade blackcurrant chilli jam)

• Viennese Whirls
  • Beat the butter and the icing sugar together until really soft and creamy.
  • Beat in the cocoa, salt and vanilla extract until well combined.
  • Sieve in the flour and beat until smooth.
  • Add the milk if needed and beat again until smooth.
  • Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe 24 x 5cm diameter whirls spaced well apart on a lined baking sheet.
  • Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes or so.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the centre of the oven at 175℃. The biscuits should be just firm to the touch.
  • Leave for a couple of minutes then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely

Vanilla Buttercream

• Beat the butter and icing sugar until very pale and creamy, then beat in the vanilla paste or extract.
  • Spread the buttercream onto 12 of the biscuits and the jam on the other 12, then sandwich together.

Notes

If the whirls are not placed in the fridge, they are more likely to spread and lose their definition.

LinkiesWe Should Cocoa Logo

These chocolate Vienesse whirls are my entry to this month’s We Should Cocoa.

I’m also joining in with this week’s Great Bloggers Bake Off 2016 hosted by Mummy Mishaps.

1. Angie@Angie's Recipes

4th September 2016 at 4:44 pm

These chocolate cookies are so beautifully piped! I am saving this for the X’mas baking!

4th September 2016 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Angie. You don’t know how much your comment means to me – can’t stop smiling now 🙂

2. Henk Kooiman

4th September 2016 at 7:43 pm

They look nice ! Would love to taste them too. I love the combination with the butter cream and jam. I’m surprised that there is no egg in the recipe. Piping isn’t my favourite technique either, but you’ve made a really good job.

4th September 2016 at 9:37 pm

Ah, thanks Henk. No egg in the recipe. The texture is meant to be a melt in the mouth type of thing, which I’m guessing it wouldn’t be with egg.

3. Dom

4th September 2016 at 8:26 pm

i’ll say they look bloody epic! I missed GBBO this week but i’m glad you’ve recreated my fave biscuits!

4th September 2016 at 9:31 pm

Oh so much drama with the biscuits Dom. You’ll have to catch up if you can. There was plenty of drama in my kitchen when I was piping, but thank you for your kind words.

4. nadia

4th September 2016 at 8:51 pm

Oh my! They look fabulous! I’m not good at piping either but I must say you did a great job! I love that you added cocoa – chocolate makes everything better 😉

4th September 2016 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Nadia. I know you and I are one when it comes to chocolate 😉

5. Manda

4th September 2016 at 8:53 pm

Really pretty and impressive.

4th September 2016 at 9:32 pm

Thanks you Manda, they were very tasty too – all gone now!

6. Lucy @ BakingQueen74

4th September 2016 at 9:13 pm

They look so good, chocolate ones seem to be popular this week! I made some without cornflour too before the batch I posted and the texture is still good isn’t it. Love the structure in your whirls, Mary would be pleased.

4th September 2016 at 9:40 pm

Yes, I was surprised just how melty and good the texture was despite the lack of cornflour Lucy. And I was super impressed they kept their shape 😉

7. Laura

4th September 2016 at 9:28 pm

I think they look beautiful and inviting and not ‘informal’. Lovely flavour combination too 🙂

5th September 2016 at 8:52 pm

Thank you very much Laura. I did get some admiring comments yesterday before they were demolished 🙂

8. jenny paulin

4th September 2016 at 9:42 pm

wow blackcurrant chilli jam sounds intriguing. Your whirls look fab – i can see how they were melt in the mouth by their shape, they look as a while should for sure. thank you for linking up #GBBOBloggers2016 x

5th September 2016 at 8:49 pm

Thanks Jenny and thanks for hosting. It’s been fun reading everyone else’s whirl posts 🙂

9. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

5th September 2016 at 7:24 am

Chocolate and berries work so well together. I really like the sound of these!

5th September 2016 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Jemma. Luckily for me, chocolate seems to go with lots of things 😉

10. Gina

5th September 2016 at 8:09 am

I think they look brilliant… Not at all informal! I tried chocolate ones last night but think my favourites are still vanilla.

5th September 2016 at 8:41 pm

Thank you Gina 🙂 You mean you made two lots? I am super impressed.

11. Sylvia @ Happiness is homemade

5th September 2016 at 8:36 am

What a beautiful swirls! I love the combination on sweet chocolate and sour blackcurrants, just perfect!

5th September 2016 at 8:40 pm

Thank you Sylvia, it’s a good combination and really surprised myself with those swirls 🙂

12. Debbie | An Organised Mess

5th September 2016 at 11:48 am

Well if they’re informal I’d hate to think how my baking would be described 😉 They look delicious- and the blackcurrant and chilli jam sounds like the perfect accompaniment.

5th September 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hahaha, thank you Debbie. I’m going to have to come over and cast an eye over your bakes now 😉

13. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

5th September 2016 at 3:40 pm

I love the combination of chocolate and the blackcurrant jam. They look and sound lovely x #GBBOBloggers2016

5th September 2016 at 8:36 pm

Thanks Kirsty, it’s a great combination especially when the blackcurrant jam has chilli in it 😉

14. HELEN

5th September 2016 at 9:06 pm

these look great & have a great shape. I think I will try chocolate ones next time 🙂

6th September 2016 at 3:03 pm

Thanks, the chocolate ones tasted gorgeous Helen, but I’m thinking if ever I can cope with picking up the piping bag again, I might try something different.

15. Jacqui Bellefontaine

6th September 2016 at 1:20 pm

They have really held their shape well. Chocolate and blackcurrant great flavour combo!

6th September 2016 at 3:04 pm

Thanks very much Jacqui. The only real issue I had with them, is that they all vanished with remarkable rapidity 😉

16. Jill @ Teatime in Paris

6th September 2016 at 4:02 pm

Well I love that you made them “informal”. They look rather perfect to me! Melt-in-the-mouth delicious and with homemade blackcurrant and chili jam? Fabulous. I wish I could see the Bake Off. Then again, I’m scared I’d become hooked too. Not that hooked on French TV!

6th September 2016 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Jill. I’m always very happy to hear “perfect” when it relates to one of my bakes 😉 Can’t you get iPlayer in France? Luckily it’s only 1 hr a week for a few weeks, so even if you get hooked, it’s not going to have too detrimental an effect.

17. Kate - gluten free alchemist

6th September 2016 at 10:37 pm

Love the chocolate twist Choclette. AND the jam kick! They look amazing!
    There seems to be loads of Viennese Whirls on social media this week…… it’s certainly got everyone baking. I even managed GF ones!

7th September 2016 at 8:32 am

Thank you Kate 🙂 Every week, I’ve wanted to join in, but I rarely have the time. I’ve really enjoyed seeing how different all the Viennese whirls are. Heading over to check yours out too.

18. Julia

17th March 2018 at 2:43 pm

Wow, when I’m feeling brave I’ll give these a go. These look so tasty and so visually impressive as well!

Julia

18th March 2018 at 4:21 pm

Thank you Julia. They’re a lot easier to make than they look.

19. Marti

24th June 2019 at 9:35 pm

Hello – Just wondering about the amount of icing sugar in the cookie. I see it listed as 175 on Pinterest, but your recipe above says just 75. Is it 175 g or 75 g? Thank you!

25th June 2019 at 7:56 am

Hi Marti. Thanks for the question. Pinterest has lumped the two quantities of icing sugar together to make 175g. But it’s 75g for the biscuits and 100g for the buttercream. Hope that helps.