Mushroom & Chocolate Risotto
Welcome to my 101st post (just noticed). Not quite the Cloud Forest Cake which I said was going to be the first thing I made from Willie’s Chocolate Factory Cookbook, but a vegetarian dinner recipe instead.
This is what I did to make a meal for the two of us:
- Soaked 50g mixed dried mushrooms in 600 ml hot water in a pan for 1/2 an hour, then brought up to a near simmer.
- Added 1 tbsp of tamari and a few drops of hot chilli sauce.
- Fried 1/2 a finely chopped onion and 2 cloves of chopped garlic in some olive oil on a low heat until translucent.
- Added 15g butter and 125g arborio rice, stirred and left this for a few minutes for the rice to absorb some of the butter.
- Poured some of the mushrooms and stock into the rice and stirred until liquid absorbed. Continued to do this until the stock was finished. Covered with a lid, turned the heat off and left for a few minutes to ensure liquid was fully absorbed and rice properly cooked.
- Stirred in a scant tbsp of Willie’s grated cacao, ground black pepper and a handful each of chopped parsley and rocket.
- Served in bowls with shavings of Ilha Graciosa (an unpasteurised cow’s milk cheese from Portugal).
I love mushroom risotto, it always seems to turn out well and has a satisfyingly earthy flavour. This is the first time I’ve ever made it with only dried mushrooms, and although it didn’t have quite the bite to it that it does if made with fresh mushrooms, it was still very tasty. This is also the first time I’ve made it with chocolate and I thought it worked well, contributing to the depth of flavour without making itself obvious. By substituting a bit of extra olive oil for the butter and not adding the cheese on top, you have a tasty vegan meal. This is a nice simple supper dish as well as being a great store cupboard standby and I will most certainly be making it again.
- Quick Butternut Squash & Chicken Risotto on a Budget » Coffee & Vanilla - […] Risotto from Munchies & Munchkins, Wild mushroom baked risotto from Family Friends Food, Mushroom & Chocolate Risotto from Tin & Thyme, Salmon and…