Fudgy Coconut Brownies

Feeling somewhat depressed after the election results, I was in need of cheering up. Something really sweet was required and having just seen Lucie’s Brownie post, I was sorely tempted. Not having much restraint in the food line, I very quickly gave in to the temptation and cooked up a batch myself. As follows:

• Melted 250g unsalted butter in a large pan with 400g soft brown sugar and 100g cocoa.
  • Allowed to cool a little then beat in 4 duck eggs.
  • Stirred in 100g flour (80g wholemeal spelt & 20g quinoa), pinch of salt, 1 small tsp baking powder and 100g desiccated coconut.
  • Poured mixture into a 9″ square cake thingie and baked at 180C for 30 mins.
  • Scattered over a spoonful of desiccated coconut as soon as brownies were out of the oven.
  • Left to cool and cut into 16 pieces.

Unusually these brownies had cocoa powder instead of chocolate. This resulted in an unusually chocolatey brownie which wasn’t nearly as sweet as I was expecting. I was also somewhat ambivalent about using coconut, but it actually worked really well. They were not as dense as a normal brownie, but were delicious, dark, rich, and chewy with a lovely crunchy top. Adding the quinoa flour was a vain attempt to kid myself that these brownies would be good for me. They may not have done much for my waistline, but they certainly cheered me up.

1. The Caked Crusader

24th May 2010 at 7:37 am

What a fab idea – I’ve never thought to put coconut in a brownie before and am now kicking myself!

2. Jacqueline

24th May 2010 at 7:53 am

I took note of this recipe to make sometime too. They look really, really good. I am definitely going to try these now 🙂

3. Sushma Mallya

24th May 2010 at 8:06 am

Beautiful brownies..

4. Kath

24th May 2010 at 10:13 am

I fear for our waistlines, as I have a feeling we will be needing more and more of this comfort food lark over the next four years. Coconut brownies sound very comforting indeed.

5. Ananda Rajashekar

24th May 2010 at 11:16 am

Definitely a mouth watering brownie to kick depression miles away 🙂

6. Margaret

24th May 2010 at 1:23 pm

Great recipe and they also look wonderful too. I love the addition of coconut.

24th May 2010 at 5:59 pm

You and Lucy are ganging up on me ~ just going to have to make a batch now!!!

8. Natalie

24th May 2010 at 5:48 pm

First visit here. Love your blog. These brownies look perfect.

9. Lucie

24th May 2010 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for the mention. So glad you tried these. I loved them. Yours look so good – particularly with the coconut on top. Lucie x

10. VegBoxBoy

24th May 2010 at 6:34 pm

These look super-lush. I can feel a batch coming on at the weekend; I’ve been wanting to make brownies for a bit and this might just have tipped me over the edge.

11. Liz

25th May 2010 at 5:43 pm

These look great! I always make brownies with cocoa ( and frozen raspberrries chucked in like marbles) but coconut – there’s a good thought – no – there’s a GREAT thought – a sort of Bounty Brownie..

12. Wendy@The Omnivorous Bear

25th May 2010 at 7:48 pm

What a delicious sounding brownie – I can imagine how it tastes…… delicious!

25th May 2010 at 7:56 pm

Interesting combination.

14. hopeeternal

25th May 2010 at 11:03 pm

These sound great – definitely need to go in my ‘must make’ pile. My chocolate loving daughter would be delighted with these!
    hopeeternal
    ‘Meanderings through my Cookbook’

26th May 2010 at 5:26 am

TCC – well it’s not a thought I had had either – don’t kick yourself, just make some.

Jac – look forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Sushma – thank you

Kath – trouble is, I don’t really need an excuse.

Ananda – thank you

Margaret – not a combination I would have thought of, but it’s a good one.

Natalie – thanks for dropping by and saying nice things. Hope to hear from you again.

Chele – oh good, this is a bit like Sweet & Simple bakes, only we’re not all making things at the same time.

Vegboxboy – ooh, brownies on your blog – can’t wait!

Lucie – thank you for bringing these to my attention

Liz – yes a bounty brownie is a good way of summing up. Now feeling I need raspberries though – great idea.

Wendy – thank you, they were good.

Janice – you don’t sound to keen on the idea?

Hopeeternal – always happy to help satisfy chocolate cravings

16. Heavenly Housewife

26th May 2010 at 2:06 pm

What a wonderful brownie. I just cant resist anything with coconut in it.
    *kisses* HH

17. Pam

26th May 2010 at 2:53 pm

I am loving these brownies… coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven.

18. MaryMoh

27th May 2010 at 8:35 am

Mmmm…beautiful brownies. With coconut added, it’s even better. I love it.

19. M D

27th May 2010 at 12:29 pm

Good gracious! Lovely looking brownies. With wholemeal and quinoa, they must be healthy too!

20. Lisa

27th May 2010 at 7:24 pm

Mmm, I love coconut with chocolate and these WILL be made at the weekend! Yours look delicious. 😀

21. oxslip

27th May 2010 at 8:33 pm

I think you’re right and the next few years might be a bit lean, so all the more reason to try to fatten them up a bit with some cheering cake. Butter, sugar and chocolate are wholefoods too! Looks yum.
    Did your constituency turn blue? I was surprised at some of the results from the SouthWest

28th May 2010 at 6:47 am

Pam – trouble is chocolate and so many things are a match made in heaven!

MD – of course they are healthy ….!

Lisa – thank you, look forward to seeing them on your blog.

Oxslip – yes we did turn blue, bit of a shock – along with most of the rest of the South West it seems

23. cribs

28th May 2010 at 10:19 am

Recipe bookmarked! Thanks for this! I like to make it more moist.

29th May 2010 at 5:52 am

Cribs – Thanks for dropping by. These aren’t your typical gooey brownies, but they are quite moist.

25. Foodycat

30th May 2010 at 8:02 pm

Bounty bars are pretty much my favourite chocolate, so I don’t take much convincing that these are great! And I know what you mean about the election results.

26. Becs

10th June 2010 at 4:28 pm

WOw I’d never thought of putting coconut in with brownies! These look squidgy and delicious, I shall have to make some for my colleagues.

14th June 2010 at 9:01 pm

FoodyCat – Bounty Bars are pretty good aren’t they – especially the dark ones.

Becs – Would love to know what you think if you do give them a go.

28. glutenfreehappytummy.com

14th August 2012 at 8:46 pm

oooh chocolate and coconut! those look SO fudgy and amazing!

29. Maya Russell

2nd March 2013 at 11:02 am

Nice combination and they look dark and fudgy.

30. Corina

4th April 2013 at 3:09 pm

I love the idea of putting coconut in a brownie.