Yogurt mixed with caramelised onions, smoked paprika and a little chocolate for extra depth and flavour. This caramelised onion and yogurt dip is simple and quick to prepare. It also makes a perfect dip for any occasion or a dish to accompany a Middle Eastern mezze style meal.
It’s not only National Vegetarian Week, but it’s National Yogurt Week too. Being both vegetarian and passionate about yogurt, I couldn’t let this go without a post. Nayna over at simply food recently mentioned making a caramelised onion and yogurt dip at an event. I was immediately struck by this excellent idea and thought I’d try and create my own version – with a chocolate twist, of course.
Middle Eastern food is fabulous for vegetarians and with my Egyptian connections I am particularly fond of it. I’d been planning on having a mezze type meal for a while and this yogurt experiment seemed like the perfect time to do it. I made tabbouleh, roasted vegetables with sumac and halloumi and served it all with flatbreads.
Like love and marriage, the caramelised onion and yogurt dip was a fitting companion. The sweet onions together with the sour and creamy yogurt combined well with the umami notes from the paprika and chocolate. I can see this becoming a regular visitor to our table.
Other Recipes for Mezze Style Dishes You Might Like
- Aubergine dip via Tin and Thyme
- Carrot falafel via Tin and Thyme
- Cheese sambusak via Kavey Eats
- Chocolate falafel via Tin and Thyme
- Crispy fried halloumi via Supper in the Suburbs
- Cucumber roll-ups with a garlic & mint feta filling via Tin and Thyme
- Egyptian style falafel via Tin and Thyme
- Muhammara (walnut & red pepper dip) via Searching for Spice
- Potato galette with Cypriot new potatoes via Lost in Food
- Quick flatbreads via Veggie Desserts
- Roasted beetroot with pomegranate & raspberry glaze via A Baking Journey
- Spelt cocoa pitta breads via Tin and Thyme
- Spinach & goat’s cheese filo pastries via Tin and Thyme
- Sumac hummus via Tin and Thyme
- Tahini sauce with clementines and paprika via Tin and Thyme
- Vegetarian sausage rolls via Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this fabulous caramelised onion & cocoa yoghurt dip, with or without the chocolate, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
Caramelised Onion & Yoghurt Dip. PIN IT.
Caramelised Onion and Chocolate Yogurt Dip – The Recipe
Caramelised Onion and Yogurt Dip
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- a good pinch sea salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- a couple of good gratings 100% chocolate I used Willie's Cacao
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Slice the onion finely and fry very gently in a frying pan over low heat with the olive oil and salt for twenty minutes or so.
- Add some finely chopped garlic after about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally and remove from the heat when the onion is caramelised with crispy bits. Allow to cool.
- Stir most of the onions (with any remaining oil) into the yogurt together with the paprika and one grating of chocolate.
- Scatter the remaining onions over the top together with the second grating of chocolate.
This photograph was the original one taken for this post. It was my entry to the Yogurt Council’s Food Stylist Competition where our very own Karen from Lavender and Lovage is one of the judges. I didn’t hold out much hope and given that it’s out of focus, I guess it’s no surprise I didn’t get anywhere. It’s a shame because I really like the composition.