A quick and simple traybake, with a sweet banana flavour, treacly notes from the sugar and a hit from the fiery ginger. This whole food sticky banana ginger cake is ideal finger food with its sticky but springy texture.
When I saw a recipe for banana ginger cake chez The Caked Crusader the other day, I knew there was nothing to be done but make it as soon as I could. Banana and ginger is not an obvious pairing by any means, but the cake just sounded so good. And it is.
Sticky Banana Ginger Cake
The original recipe came from the prince of bakers Dan Lepard. I tweaked it quite a bit, of course, but the glory of this sticky banana ginger cake must go to Dan. It’s one of those quick and simple cakes to make which can be mixed by hand in under fifteen minutes. Just brilliant for when you’re in a rush.
I added quite a bit of ground ginger, which wasn’t in the original recipe as well as a little cinnamon. I also used wholemeal spelt flour and olive oil rather than sunflower oil. As I quite like my ginger cakes to taste a little treacly, I also mixed up the sugar to include some really dark and less refined molasses sugar. So in my inimitable style, this is a true whole food cake.
The finished ginger cake is astonishingly light and springy, given it’s made with bananas and wholemeal flour. It also has a lovely sticky texture and holds together well. There are few crumbs with this cake. CT reckoned the balance of banana and ginger was just right as he could detect both well, without one overwhelming the other. But it also had the desired gingery heat I was looking for.
Another brilliant whole food cake to add to the Tin and Thyme top of the pops recipe collection.
Other Banana Cake Recipes You Might Like
- £1 banana chocolate vegan honey cake
- Banana bread
- Caramelised banana, coconut, chocolate & peanut butter cake
- Chocolate banana cashew cake (vegan)
- Muscovado banana bread with chocolate or raisins
- Quick banana and rum soaked raisin bundt cake
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this sticky banana ginger cake recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate it. Have you any top tips? Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it.
If you’d like more traybake recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious, of course.
Sticky Banana Ginger Cake. PIN IT.
Sticky Banana Ginger Cake – The Recipe
Sticky Banana Ginger Cake
- 100 g dark muscovado sugar
- 100 g molasses sugar
- 2 large over ripe bananas
- 125 ml olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 200 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon I used a drop of Holy Lama Cinnamon Spice Oil
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 75 g crystallised ginger – finely chopped
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with the two sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, followed by the olive oil.
- Sieve in the dry ingredients and fold in carefully.
- Gently stir in the bits of ginger.
- Pour into a 22.5 cm / 9″sq silicone mould or lined tin and bake at 170℃ for about 40 or until the cake is risen, golden on top and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool, then turn out and cut into 16 squares.
The theme for Love Cake this month over at JibberJabberUK is Sport Relief. Whilst this sticky banana ginger cake wasn’t baked for this purpose, it would make an excellent cake for a bake sale.