£1 Banana Chocolate Vegan Honey Cake

£1 Banana Hot Chocolate Vegan Honey Cake

Did you ever think it was possible to make a decent sized chocolate cake for a £1? I certainly didn’t. Not, that is, until I set myself the challenge of doing so. This £1 banana chocolate vegan honey cake is not only delicious, but it can be cut into eight generous slices.

Live Below The Line

As many of you will know some intrepid people are taking part in the Live Below the Line challenge this week. This is a campaign to raise both awareness and money for the 1.2 billion people living in extreme poverty around the world. Yes, some people live on £1 a day, or even less. We are so lucky living in one of the richest countries of the world. Even though we moan about the cost of food and some families have been struggling in the current recession, it is as nothing compared to those who genuinely have little, or even no, food, fuel or home and certainly no welfare state to look after them.

Participants have been challenged to spend only £1 per person per day on food and drink for five days and raise funds whilst they are doing so. Vanesther of Bangers & Mash is putting her family through its paces and taking part this year as is Michelle of Utterly Scrummy. Ceri of Natural Kitchen Adventures too the challenge earlier last month to help promote the cause. Hats off to them. Well if they can live off £1 for a whole day, surely I can have a go at making a cake for £1.

Chocolate Cake for a £1 Challenge

A few months ago Froogs of Frugal Queen challenged me to make a cake for £1. A chocolate cake for a £1 – really? I thought not, so let it sit on the back burner – until now.

We Should Cocoa LogoSo, I am challenging you all for this month’s We Should Cocoa to try making a chocolate cake for £1 (or equivalent currency). I didn’t think it was even possible, so I will be particularly interested to find out how you fare. Please make your best effort and if it can’t be managed, then let us know how much over £1 it cost. I know you are an inventive lot, so I’m pretty sure some of you will work wonders. I leave you to interpret the £1 as you will, but I am thinking cost of ingredients rather than oven time.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

£1 Banana Chocolate Vegan Honey Cake

To get you all in the mood, this £1 banana chocolate vegan honey cake was the first of two I made for this challenge. The second one was this malted hot chocolate cake. I surprised myself hugely and managed to get them both within budget. The banana chocolate vegan honey cake reminded me of a banana version of sticky gingerbread. It makes an 8″ (20cm) round cake. Here are the costings:

• 190g plain flour – 15p
  • 100g golden caster sugar – 17p
  • 40ml organic sunflower oil – 12p
  • 9 tsp G&B cocoa powder – 27p
  • 1 large banana – 20p
  • 2 scant tbsp dandelion honey – 6p
  • 1 tsp baking powder + pinch salt – 2p
  • 1 tbsp malt vinegar + 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda – 1p
  • 150 ml water – 0p
Grand Total = £1

Extreme Poverty – The Facts

• 870 million people do not have enough to eat — more than the populations of USA and the European Union combined.
  • 98% of the world’s undernourished people live in developing countries.
  • Two-thirds of the world’s hungry live in just 7 countries: Bangladesh, China, DR Congo, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia and Pakistan.
  • Around 60 percent of the world’s hungry are women.
  • 1 in 6 infants are born with a low birth weight in developing countries – Malnutrition is the key factor contributing to more than one-third of all global child deaths, resulting in 2.3 million deaths per year.
  • Every fifteen seconds, a child dies from hunger-related diseases.
  • 13 million people (1 in 5 of the population) live below the poverty line in the UK, 2.3 million of these are children.

£1 Banana Chocolate Vegan Honey Cake – The Recipe

£1 Banana Chocolate Honey Cake
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
40 mins
Total Time
1 hr

A frugal but delicious dairy and egg free chocolate banana cake. Real honey can be used for non vegans, but it works well with dandelion honey.

Course: Afternoon Tea, Dessert
Cuisine: British
Keywords: cake, chocolate, frugal, vegan
Servings: 8 people
Author: Choclette @ Tin and Thyme
  • 190 g plain flour
  • 9 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 level tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • a pinch rock or sea salt
  • 100 g golden caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp dandelion honey
  • 40 ml sunflower oil
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tbsp malt vinegar
  • 150 ml water
  1. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
  2. Mash the banana in with the oil and vegan honey, then add the vinegar and water.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly add the liquid stirring gently as you go until all is just mixed.
  4. Pour batter into a prepared 8″ cake tin or mould and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180℃ for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
  5. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Notes

Can use golden syrup instead of the vegan honey.

1. Laura Denman

1st May 2014 at 11:20 am

I can’t wait to have a go at this one =) I’ve got an idea already but I’ll have to check costings first!

1st May 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hooray, I was hoping for a bit of excitement 🙂

2. hungryhinny

1st May 2014 at 12:01 pm

This is such a fabulous idea and a real challenge, I love it!

Can you work out the cost of the ingredients for the amount you use, rather than the total cost? So if you used 200g of flour from a 1kg bag would you account for a fifth of the cost of the whole bag?

1st May 2014 at 12:03 pm

Glad you’re up for it Nat. Cost of ingredients used only – really would be unrealistic otherwise.

3. lapin d'or

1st May 2014 at 12:15 pm

As a child my favourite chocolate cake recipe was ‘Mrs Beetons Economical Cocoa Cake’ I will price it up and see if I can get anywhere near the £1 spend. May have to halve the ingredients, but it was a large cake.

1st May 2014 at 12:21 pm

Hooray for Mrs Beeton Jill 🙂

4. Chloe King

1st May 2014 at 2:03 pm

Great idea, tricky though! I reckon I might have it with my grandma’s ration book chocolate baskets recipe, it’s on my blog – will check the maths!

1st May 2014 at 2:17 pm

Definitely tricky Chloe – you might come a cropper with the cream! Will be interesting to see how you get on.

5. belleau kitchen

1st May 2014 at 1:19 pm

such a brilliant idea C!… plus it means that those of us who couldn’t do the £1 challenge can take part in some form… I LOVE it and am looking forward to trying!

1st May 2014 at 2:13 pm

Yay Dom, I’m looking forward to the challenge too – good to make us think once in a while.

6. Sarah Trivuncic

1st May 2014 at 2:30 pm

Nice challenge… I used to be quite partial to Sainsbury’s Basics chocolate for 29p a bar, if I get my act together this month I’ll have a bash 🙂

1st May 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hmm Sarah, I certainly won’t be able to use my normal chocolate, or probably any of my normal ingredients.

7. Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

1st May 2014 at 3:50 pm

What a great challenge! I am looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with 🙂

1st May 2014 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Dannii, me too – including me 😉

8. Suelle

1st May 2014 at 3:53 pm

Tricky! I’ve just priced up what I thought would be the cheapest cake I know, and it was just under £1 if I used eggs which weren’t free range. No money left for a filling though! I’ll have to rethink; I’m determined to produce something!

1st May 2014 at 7:01 pm

Yay Suelle, you’re back 🙂 Tricky this most certainly is, because there’s not much point making something that isn’t tasty too.

9. Ceri @ Natural Kitchen Adventures

1st May 2014 at 5:39 pm

What a great idea for a challenger. I just think I might light to take this on! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog above. Taking part in the live below the line challenge was one of the most thought provoking things I’ve done.

1st May 2014 at 7:02 pm

Would be lovely if you could join us Ceri and you should be in good practice by now 😉

10. Jibber JabberUK

2nd May 2014 at 5:54 am

I’ve got ideas! *gets out abacus*

11. Elizabeth

2nd May 2014 at 7:09 am

A great idea! I opted out of the the live below the line challenge. It costs me £5 in fuel just to get to the nearest supermarket where the cheap food is. It would be impossible to do if I shopped at my local village shop! I will get my thinking cap on for a £1 chocolate cake 🙂

4th May 2014 at 7:28 am

Yes, there are so many factors to take into account, but it’s really interesting to here the whys and wherefores from different people. But it is best attempt

• Elizabeth

9th May 2014 at 11:23 am

I’ve linked up my recipe 🙂 I’d be delighted to host WSC this June if you are still looking for guest hosts?

12. Lucy Corry

2nd May 2014 at 7:58 am

That’s brilliant, truly brilliant. What on earth am I going to make?

4th May 2014 at 7:27 am

Haha, that’s what I’m wondering Lucy.

13. Kelly Palmer

2nd May 2014 at 1:08 pm

I haven’t done a blog challenge before, but since my blog is vegan and I love chocolate this could be interesting. Count me in 🙂

4th May 2014 at 7:29 am

Hi Kelly, would be great to have you join in. Eggs and butter are expensive, so you might find this easier than some.

14. Corina

2nd May 2014 at 5:59 pm

It’s a great idea and I’ll do my best. Looking forward to it.

4th May 2014 at 7:26 am

Good to have you on board Corina

15. Rachel Cotterill

2nd May 2014 at 8:35 pm

I just priced up my standard vegan loaf cake and it works out at 58p if you buy the cheapest ingredients from Tesco. So now I have 42p to spend on making it chocolatey 😉

4th May 2014 at 7:26 am

Well done Rachel, you seem to be running well ahead here – looking forward to seeing the entry.

16. Jean

3rd May 2014 at 6:04 pm

I have priced up my standard all-in-one chocolate cake and it comes out at £1.39 using cheapest own brand ingredients.
    The only way to do it would be to make a smaller cake, say 6″ instead of 8″.
    But as it’s not possible to buy just 100gm of flour, 2 eggs and so on, it would require a total investment of £6.80 to buy the full packs of ingredients. Then there’s the cost of the baking in the oven.
    I think If I only had £1, I would be tempted to buy a cheap cake from Aldi or Lidl. I will be fascinated to see how people make a good quality home-made chocolate cake for £1, and will be full of admiration for those that do.

4th May 2014 at 7:25 am

Well I hope you take part Jean and do a post with your findings, because it’s really interesting and useful information to know.

17. ManjiriK

4th May 2014 at 8:04 am

This is a brilliant Idea, I must say it would be an achievement of sorts if anyone can manage in £1 The cheapest chocolate treats are the bars in discount stores but a cake! It’s a great opportunity for those not participating in the Live Below the Line challenge , Kudos to Vanesther for doing that!Eagerly waiting to see all the entries that link up!

4th May 2014 at 9:18 am

Thanks Manjirilk. It’s a difficult thing for sure. Are you planning to take part?

18. Jacqueline Meldrum

4th May 2014 at 1:37 pm

I’ve added it to the diary Choclette.

19. Alison

6th May 2014 at 1:13 pm

Interesting idea. I hope I get time to give it a go

20. Rebecca

9th May 2014 at 5:34 pm

I’d be happy to host again if you still need someone for June or July.

21st May 2014 at 12:19 pm

Hi Rebecca, apologies for not replying before now. It would be great if you were able to host in August. Let me know if this is possible?