Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (Raw and Dairy Free)
A vegan friendly breakfast smoothie which is not only deliciously thick and chocolatey, but is packed full of nutrients. This raw chocolate avocado smoothie is both nourishing for the body and for the soul too.
I have to come clean here: making avocados into a smoothie seems a bit of a waste of a good avocado to me. I love the texture and flavour of this princely fruit but actually like them best just as they are, on toast or with slices tossed into a salad or mashed up in guacamole or this avocado and egg dip. But when an octet of Peruvian avocados winged their way to me it seemed like an ideal time to experiment.
Intuitively a dairy-free option seemed like the way to go. Ideally I would have used coconut water as the liquid, but I didn’t have any to hand. I had a look at coconut and almond milk options, but they were all full of sugar, vegetable fats and other additives. If only I’d read Janie’s post on making your own almond milk before going ahead, but I didn’t. In the end I resorted to a tin of coconut milk. To keep things as Peruvian as possible I used maca and raw cacao powder both grown in Peru. The maple syrup, oats and banana may have come from a different continent, but honour, I felt, had been served.
Talking of serving, how did the smoothies turn out? Really rather well. Thick and creamy, rich and chocolatey, healthy too; we had them for breakfast and they kept us going for several hours. Result.
Other Dairy-Free Smoothies You Might Like
- Double pear smoothie bowl
- Ginger green goddess smoothie
- Raspberry cashew smoothie
- Raw chocolate smoothie
Stay in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you try this recipe for raw chocolate avocado smoothie, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
Raw Chocolate Avocado Smoothie – The Recipe
Raw Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- 1 large avocado (I used a Peruvian Hass)
- 1 large banana – peeled
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (I used Peruvian)
- ½ tin coconut milk (200ml), 500ml coconut water or 250ml plant-based milk of your choice
- 2 tsp (or to taste) maple syrup
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Place in a liquidiser together with the banana.
- Add the oats, maca, cacao, maple syrup and coconut milk.
- Add enough water to make the volume up to 1 litre and whizz for a few minutes until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and drink with gusto.