Spelt Cocoa Pitta Breads with a Versatile Avocado Egg Filling
If there was one crop other than lemons I wish we could grow easily in the UK, it would be avocados. I would have an orchard full of them. Not only are they buttery and delicious, but they are also quite good for you. High in potassium, the unsaturated fats are said to be healthy ones and they are relatively low in calories.
When I was sent a basket of ripe Peruvian Hass avocados, to say I was pleased was an understatement. I hadn’t known such bounty since CT and I worked on an avocado farm during our antipodean travels many years ago. We ate the fruit for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So in remembrance of times past, we cut into one almost immediately and had it spread on toast, just as we used to back on the farm when we used it as a butter substitute. Oh, how delicous. These avocados were particularly tasty with a gimme more creamy texture.
Guacamole has long been a favourite of mine and makes for a very tasty vegan dip and accompaniment to all sorts of dishes. But I also find avocados have an affinity to eggs – maybe it’s the shape. One of my favourite party dips is an egg and avocado one and as I hadn’t made this for ages, I thought it was about time it was resurrected. What better accompaniment than some homemade spelt cocoa pitta breads, juicy sweet homegrown tomatoes and some crisp lettuce?
Spelt Cocoa Pitta Breads
The pitta pockets exhaled a chocolate fragrance on opening and were resileint enough to hold the contents. They had a soft and inviting texture and although thick were not in the least bit leathery – way better than any shop bought pitta breads I’ve had. The chocolate pitta also did a grand job of mopping up the juices of a vegetable stew. The avocado and egg dip was as delicious as I remember it. We both felt we could eat this again and again.
Spelt Cocoa Pitta Breads with Avocado Egg Filling – The Recipe
Soft and delicious pitta breads with just a hint of cocoa to give added depth and flavour. Serve with a versatile avocado egg sandwich filling that can also be used as a tasty dip.
- 250 g strong white flour
- 250 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 scant tsp Himalayan pink rock salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 330 ml warm water
- 2 large boiled eggs
- 2 large avocados - stoned and peeled
- half a small onion - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- a good grinding black pepper
- 4 stalks chives - snipped
- Stir the yeast and sugar into the warm water, then combine this in a bowl with the other ingredients.
- Turn out onto an oiled work surface and knead for a few minutes - the dough will be sticky, but be wary of adding any additional flour.
- Place back into the bowl, cover with a cloth and leave to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto an oiled work surface and knead again for a few minutes. The dough should have absorbed all of the water my now and not be so sticky.
- Cut into 8 pieces and kneading each one briefly shape into flat ovals, either with hands or a rolling pin.
- Place the ovals onto a lined baking tray (or two, depending on size). Place inside a plastic bag and leave to rise for about 15 minutes.
- Bake at the top of a hot oven (225C) for about 5 minutes when the breads should be lightly browned but still soft. Cover with a tea towel until all the bread has been baked. This will not only keep them warm, but keep them soft too.
- Roughly mash the avocados with the lime juice.
- Stir in the onions and pepper.
- Add the eggs and roughly mash into the avocado.4. Stir in the mayonnaise and pile into a serving dish. Top with the snipped chives.
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these spelt cocoa pitta breads or the avocado egg dip, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Cocoa Spelt Pitta Breads & Avocado Egg Dip. PIN IT.
- Halloumi Sandwich with Avocado, Pea and Mint Pesto - - […] “Spelt Coca Bread with Avocado and Egg Filling” from Tin and Thyme […]
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Flatbread - Eats Amazing - […] Mexican Mini Quesadillas from The Veg Space, Vegetarian Haggis Pizza Wrap from Planet Veggie, Spelt Cocoa Breads with Avocado…