Chocolate Blackberry Jam – A Rich Luxurious Spread

Chocolate Blackberry Jam

Jam and chocolate? Yes, you read the title correctly. Who need chocolate spread? This seedless blackberry jam is made with apples to help it set and a big slab of chocolate for pure luxury. It’s a veritable breeze to make and it has a rich taste of both fruit and chocolate. Roll over chocolate spread.

We Should Cocoa

We Should Cocoa has been running a stunning four years now and today celebrates going into its fifth year. Yes, it was five years ago that Chele and I started this monthly chocolate challenge. Chele kicked us off way back then with raspberries and it’s been a continuous journey ever since.

In 2012 Chele withdrew from the challenge and it has subsequently been kept alive by many wonderful bloggers who have kindly taken on guest hosting duties. This has added an extra element of creativity and interest as every host has such different ideas as to what the ingredient or theme should be. It is with deep gratitude that I’d like to thank all of the hosts and the many other bloggers who have been involved with this challenge over the years and have contributed to making it such an enjoyable and successful blog event. Do please keep those offers of hosting coming in.

If you haven’t caught up with last month’s marshmallow challenge over at Bake n Quilt, please do have a look.

So as this is a celebratory anniversary for We Should Cocoa and as it is the preserving season, what could be better than jam as this month’s ingredient. Just think of those classic Victoria sponges with that layer of luscious jam. But please don’t limit yourselves to just a jam sandwich. Jam can be on top, in the middle or a part of your creation, it can even be underneath so long as it features somewhere. And remember we’re not just talking about cakes. For me it’s jam tarts, roly polies and Queen of puddings that spring to mind; don’t be limited to the obvious however, let your imaginations run riot – but perhaps not your jam.

Entry is via the linky at the bottom of the page and you can catch up with how to join in on the We Should Cocoa page.

Lets Get Jamming

I thought I’d been rather daring with my fig and pomegranate jam followed by apricot and vanilla jam a couple of years ago. But I reckon this year beats it. I first made a straight forward plum jam, which whilst being delicious wasn’t particularly innovative. However, I then made a wonderful blackcurrant and chilli jam followed by this blackberry chocolate jam.

Blackberry Chocolate Jam

There has been much talk about chocolate jam on the Twittersphere recently. For the first time chocolate was one of the categories in the World Jampionships this year. Even Vivien Lloyd, queen of jams has recently made a chocolate and raspberry jam. I like to do at least one seasonal blackberry post each year, so chocolate blackberry jam it had to be.

As I’d never tried anything quite like this before, I was a little concerned that it a) wouldn’t work and b) wouldn’t taste good. I needn’t have worried. It was a breeze to make and tasted great. It set well and had a good jammy texture. The balance of fruit to chocolate was just right. The flavour of blackberry was very much present, but there was no mistaking the presence of chocolate either.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this chocolate blackberry jam, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Chocolate Blackberry Jam. PIN IT.

Seedless chocolate blackberry jam spread over a cracker.

Chocolate Blackberry Jam – The Recipe

Print Pin
5 from 3 votes

Chocolate Blackberry Jam

Seedless blackberry jam which uses apples to help it set. A big slab of chocolate is added prior to the jamming stage.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Course: Jams, Chutneys etc
Cuisine: British
Keyword: blackberries, dark chocolate, jam
Servings: 4 small jars
Author: Choclette

• 1 lb blackberries
  • 8 oz apples (I used windfalls)
  • 8 oz golden caster sugar
  • 3 ½ oz (100g) dark chocolate 53% – chopped

• Wash the apples and cut into chunks including the skin and cores. Simmer in a pan with a little water and the blackberries until soft (about 10 minutes).
  • Press through a sieve, extracting as much pulp and juice as possible.
  • Return the extracted juice to a large clean saucepan and add the sugar. Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
  • Boil rapidly for about 5 minutes until setting point is reached. I use the wrinkle method – place a little of the jam onto a very cold saucer and push your finger slowly through the jam to see if it wrinkles. If it does, it’s ready.
  • Pour into warm sterilised jars and cap.

Notes

Makes 4 small jars

Sharing

I’m sharing my chocolate blackberry jam recipe with Everyday Healthy Recipes for #CookBlogShare.

1. belleau kitchen

1st September 2014 at 10:21 am

ahhhh, happy anniversary to We Should Cocoa!… I love it! Well done for getting this far with one of the best bloggers challenges out there. Love the jam theme. I have the perfect cake in mind. x

2. Katie @ The Perfect Brownie

1st September 2014 at 12:10 pm

I really enjoyed participating last month and can’t wait to get started on this month’s challenge. If you’d ever like to have a “brownie” theme, I would absolutely love to host! 🙂

3. stacey kirkbride

1st September 2014 at 3:43 pm

Chocolate and blackberry jam? Such a delicious combination! Yum ^^

4. Emma Matthews

1st September 2014 at 4:05 pm

Oh wow these sound and no doubt taste amazing! I’m gonna have to try this! x

5. Michelle Nahom

1st September 2014 at 4:50 pm

That sounds like a wonderful combo! Who wouldn’t love this?! Sharing…we all need a little more chocolate in our life!

6. Laura Denman

1st September 2014 at 6:27 pm

Happy Birthday WSC!! And that jam….delicious =)

7. freerangegirl

1st September 2014 at 8:18 pm

I remember it starting!!! Happy Anniversary and well done-here’s to the next 5!

8. Janine

1st September 2014 at 7:34 pm

Five years is an amazing feat! Congratulations on making it last so long. This is definitely one of the harder challenges for me, but I’ll give it a whirl.

9. Alida

1st September 2014 at 7:53 pm

I can’t believe We should Cocoa is entering its 5th year. Well done for making this a success! It is a lovely challenge. Hoping to bake a bit more with chocolate soon so I can enter some more recipes too.
    So interesting a blackberries and chocolate jam. I want to pick some blackberries now. Just coming back to the UK and looking forward to pick some and bake with them!

10. Alicia Foodycat

1st September 2014 at 8:16 pm

It looks lovely! I had some beautiful raspberry and chocolate jam last year, but I think this smooth texture looks much nicer.

11. Baking Addict

1st September 2014 at 9:30 pm

Happy Anniversary to WSC. Love the idea of chocolate and blackberry jam. Will try my best to join in but am moving house this month and going away for my birthday so time is short.

12. Katie

2nd September 2014 at 5:48 am

That looks wonderful. I bet the intense fruitness pairs really well with chocolate. I can imagine serving this with a bit of cheese or even (for those who eat it) roast meats instead of red currant jelly etc. Yum

13. Shaheen

2nd September 2014 at 6:29 am

So funny, I was dreaming up this combination at the weekend, and here you have it in all it’s deliciousness. Yum. Happy wscc anniversary, I enjoy partipating when I can and look forward to seeing the contributions.

2nd September 2014 at 11:22 am

Congratulations on 4 years – well done for keeping the event going – I always love seeing what people make even if I can’t send in something – though it must be one of the ones I have participated in most. Jam is a brilliant theme

15. Dini @giramuks kitchen

2nd September 2014 at 1:07 pm

Congratulations!! 🙂 This sounds awesome! The Chocolate and Blackberry combo must be amazing! 🙂 YUM!

16. Jacqueline Meldrum

3rd September 2014 at 7:55 am

It’s in the diary Choclette 🙂

17. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

3rd September 2014 at 12:50 pm

Chocolate and blackberry would definitely be the chocolate combination for me too! Yum! Congratulations and happy birthday We Should Cocoa….

18. Kit @ i-lostinausten

4th September 2014 at 12:34 pm

Happy 5th Anniversary to WSC ! Wow! Love your chocolate & blackberry jam ! Awesome combo indeed!

19. Kate@whatkatebaked

7th September 2014 at 11:16 am

Happy fifth anniversary Choclette! It’s a lot of work hosting blogger challenges, so hats off for five years of doing so

20. Recipe: Morello Cherry & Raspberry Jam - The Veg Space

15th July 2015 at 12:09 pm

[…] Chocolate Blackberry Jam from Tin & […]

21. Monika Dabrowski

12th July 2019 at 10:05 pm

This recipe really brought a smile to my face, I love combining chocolate with fruit and have at least a couple of chocolate blackberry recipes on my own blog. This jam must be delicious. Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare

13th July 2019 at 4:55 pm

I’m heading over to your blog right now so I can check out those blackberry chocolate recipes – mmm!

22. Donna

13th July 2019 at 8:24 am

I’ve never heard of chocolate jam! It sounds wonderful though, and I do love making Jam! Maybe!!

13th July 2019 at 4:56 pm

It is jam, but because it’s seedless I think of it more as a spread. Whatever you call it, it’s delicious.