Chewy Apricot Cookies

Biscuits, Cornish, Gifts | 7th December 2012 | By

As some of you know, I try to use organic ingredients where I can. Although organic is better for individual human health, more importantly, it is better for the environment and ultimately benefits human health in the long term. Anyway, on the back of a recently purchased packet of Crazy Jack’s organic dried apricots, I noticed a recipe for these apricot cookies. I had to try them just as soon as I could. A weekend away visiting friends in Glastonbury last month provided just the right opportunity to try them out.

This is how I made them:

• Cut 100g butter into pieces and placed it on a heater to soften – the kitchen is already cold.
  • Added 100g soft brown sugar and creamed for a good few minutes until the mixture  was very light and fluffy.
  • Added 1 tbsp Cornish honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and creamed some more.
  • Sifted in 150g flour (half wholemeal, half white) and a scant teaspoon of baking powder.
  • Chopped 100g unsulphered apricots into pieces and added these.
  • Added 25g white chocolate chips & mixed until all was incorporated. It didn’t come together in one big lump, but that was fine.
  • Picked up small handfuls and patted into walnut sized balls with the palms of my hands. I made 26.
  • Placed well apart on lined baking sheets and baked at 175C for 10 minutes until golden and crisped around the edges.
  • Used a spatula to place them on a wire rack and left to cool.

The mixture smelt wonderfully of honey and the aroma as these biscuits baked was really quite heavenly. They were luxurious and delicious, very sweet, but oh so satisfying. They were crisp around the edges with a really chewy centre; the flavour of honey was strong, the apricots added their signature fruitiness and the bits of white chocolate had caramelised giving added texture and flavour. These would make perfect Christmas gifts and indeed I shall be making some myself to give away. If CT doesn’t get his mitts on them first.

Tags: ,

1. thelittleloaf

7th December 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’ll comment (following your Twitter request!) – these look gorgeous! Just the kind of thick, chewy, gooey cookies I love 🙂

7th December 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you for answering my call – a bit desperate I know! But I was seriously impressed with these and wanted others to see them too :-S

2. Elizabeth

7th December 2012 at 2:42 pm

They do look scrummy indeed!

3. underthebluegumtree

7th December 2012 at 2:44 pm

Aww, got beaten to it. I was hoping to be first comment 😉 I love the idea of adding honey to those cookies. I bet they taste divine.

8th December 2012 at 8:49 pm

First, second or third, I am deeply grateful 😀 I used a good quality Cornish honey in these and the flavour was fantastic.

4. Jo Hutchinson

7th December 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love apricots and cookies so this has to be a winner,

8th December 2012 at 9:10 pm

If you like honey too, you’ll be in for a real treat with these cookies.

5. Brownieville Girl

7th December 2012 at 8:40 pm

They look delicious – the unsulphered apricots might not be as pretty, but they taste so much better.

9th December 2012 at 11:00 am

I haven’t bought unsulphered apricots in such a long time, I’d rather forgotten they were anything but a sludgy brown. But you are right, they taste much better.

6. belleau kitchen

7th December 2012 at 9:28 pm

I love the way they look all nobbly and home-made… apricots and chocolate are an excellent combo… very very moreish too… I may have to whip up a batch this weekend x

7. Alida

7th December 2012 at 9:31 pm

Apricots are my favourite fruit. It is so much better to have dried organic ones in the winter. I don’t like the preservative they use to preserve them.
    These cookies are delicious!

8. talesofpiglingbland

7th December 2012 at 11:19 pm

Crazy jacks unsulphered apricots are so nice. I love the brown sugar taste of them but I always forget to buy them, but I do remember that my sister has a stash…..which mysteriously goes down whenever I visit

9. Christian Halfmann

8th December 2012 at 1:43 pm

Once more that sounds very good and I guess I have no other choice then to try them.

10. Javelin Warrior

8th December 2012 at 3:24 pm

Chewy cookies really are the best (I think) and these sound wonderful – so intrigued by the apricots with chocolate which is such a great combo. But in cookies I’m sure it’s amazing… Thank you so much for sharing, Choclette!

8th December 2012 at 5:39 pm

Love chewy cookies, don’t know why but they always seem to be more of a naughty treat than crunchy cookies lol. Lovely combo of flavours too.

12. debby

8th December 2012 at 11:48 pm

ooh they really look chewy and I love apricot and chocolate together those brownies look amazing…I’m hungry…thanks for sharing…wish you’d shared the cookies too though…;o)

13. Caroline

9th December 2012 at 12:10 am

Ooh, they look great Choclette, definitely bookmarking these to be made on the double!

14. laura@howtocookgoodfood

9th December 2012 at 11:37 am

I am also a big fan of Crazy Jacks unsulpered apricots. It is so amazing they have so little resemblance to their sulphered alternative. I love eating them on their own but in a cookie they would add a lovely chewy toffee like flavour I bet!

15. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com

10th December 2012 at 4:43 pm

Love apricots in desserts! These cookies sound so delicious. Visiting from Tinned Tomatoes Bookmarked recipes.

16. Kit @ i-lostinausten

13th December 2012 at 6:39 am

Yum! This looks & sounds delicious; I love chewy cookies with fruits! 🙂

17. Jacqueline

30th December 2012 at 11:33 am

Well that was worth noticing, they look super. I could do with tucking into one right now.

18. anthony harrington

7th March 2013 at 12:44 pm

these are deffo bookmarked!