Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

Biscuits, Quick Recipes | 5th October 2014 | By

Warming and tasty chewy ginger chocolate chip cookies made with oats and spelt flour. They’re simple to prepare and easy to eat with the added bonus that they create minimal washing up. Chocolate ginger biscuits are one of the nation’s favourites and these are an excellent oaty variation.

Like the majority of Brits, ginger in biscuit form is one of my favourites too. Combine that with chocolate and I’m in heaven. Last month I made a batch of Delia’s crystallised ginger oat biscuits for a MacMillan coffee morning. It wasn’t the first time I’d made ginger biscuits with oats, but I’d forgotten how good they were. In fact they were so tasty I was hard pressed to hand the batch over.

Those chunks of chewy flavoursome crystallised ginger raise them to something above a humble oat biscuit and give a certain air of sophistication. I was determined to make a batch for ourselves as soon as possible. Only this time with added chocolate.

Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

In the end, I made two batches of these oaty ginger chocolate chip cookies. For both of them, I changed Delia’s recipe even more considerably than I did originally, both in quantities used and ingredients. I swapped out the plain flour for my wholemeal spelt flour for a start.

The first lot I made with the organic ginger chocolate bar featured below. I thought it would also be interesting to add lemongrass extract to the mix. So I used one drop of my Holy Lama extract to give a subtle but not too prominent note.

For the second batch, I went for straightforward crystallised ginger and ordinary dark chocolate. Both work well and I’ve given the two versions in the printable recipe you’ll find further down the post. They’re the perfect cookie, crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle.

Warming, chewy and flavoursome these oat ginger chocolate chip cookies make excellent autumnal comfort food. In fact they are just what’s needed on a miserable dreich day, of which we seem to be having rather a lot lately. They’re also excellent packaged up as Christmas cookie gifts. They proved popular when I included them in one of my Christmas hampers anyway.

Seed and Bean Just Ginger Chocolate Bar

One of the Seed & Bean bars I was sent recently was Just Ginger, a 58% dark chocolate bar flavoured with ginger. It had quite a strong flavour which both CT and I really liked, but I thought I’d try not to demolish the bar immediately and use some of it in these biscuits instead of the crystallised ginger.

Seed and Bean Just Ginger Chocolate Bar

The chocolate was a strange mix of smooth and grainy, which made for a particularly interesting but not unwelcome texture. Left on the tongue to melt, warmth slowly seeps through the mouth and down the back of the throat and lasts for some time after the chocolate has disappeared. This is yet another dark chocolate bar which gets a big thumbs up from me. If you want to explore any of the Seed & Bean chocolate*, Amazon has most of the bars for sale.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these chewy cookies with oats, ginger and chocolate, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

If you’re after more biscuit ideas, you might like to take a look at some of the other recipes in my Biscuits & Cookies category.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Ginger Choc Chip Oat Biscuits. PIN IT.

Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies
Print Pin
5 from 2 votes

Oaty Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies

A warming and tasty chewy ginger chocolate chip cookie made with oats and spelt flour. Simple to prepare and easy to eat with the added bonus of minimal washing up.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: biscuits, chilli chocolate, cookies, ginger, oats
Servings: 20 cookies
Calories: 119kcal
Author: Choclette

• 120 g salted butter
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup
  • 75 g demerara sugar
  • 120 g wholemeal spelt flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 120 g rolled oats

Version A

• 60 g dark ginger chocolate – chopped into small pieces
  • 1 drop lemongrass extract (optional)

Version B

• 40 g dark chocolate - chopped into small pieces
  • 30 g crystallised ginger - chopped into small pieces
  • 1 tsp ground ginger

• Melt the butter and syrup in a large pan over gentle heat.
  • Remove from the heat, add the sugar and stir.
  • Add the oats, sift in the flour and baking powder and stir again until just mixed. Then stir in the ingredients from either version A or version B.
  • Place heaped teaspoons of the mixture well apart onto a large lined baking tray and press down with the back of the spoon to flatten slightly.
  • Bake at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) for about 12-15 minutes when the tops should be golden, but not overly brown. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes

Version A also works well with Seed & Bean's mandarin and ginger chocolate*. If you use this, it's probably best not to add the lemongrass extract.

Nutrition

Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1.8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3.6g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 5.6g

Sharing

Comfort food is the theme for this month’s Biscuit Barrel over at I’d Much Rather Bake Than … It’s hard to find a biscuit more comforting than an oaty ginger one, especially with added chocolate. So I’m sharing these with Laura.

These chewy choc chip mouthfuls make ideal cookies for these cool autumnal days. You can also make them with the kids when it’s wet and miserable outside. So I’m sending them off to Vanesther at Bangers & Mash for #FamilyFoodies because this month the theme is cooking with kids.

This post contains affiliate links which are marked with an *. If you buy through a link it won’t cost you any more, but I’ll get a small commission. Thanks for your support of the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Laura Huggins

5th October 2014 at 12:44 pm

I absolutely love the name of your blog and these biscuits look awesome!

Laura x x x

2. Mellissa Williams

5th October 2014 at 1:30 pm

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of ginger bit I do love oats and biscuits! My husband would love these so I have bookmarked the recipe #ukbloggers

• Choclette Blogger

5th October 2014 at 3:02 pm

These biscuits are really versatile Mellissa. You could substitute any spice for the ginger or just use plain chocolate chips.

3. The Caked Crusader

5th October 2014 at 3:37 pm

Ginger, chocolate and oats? Sneak some coconut in there and that’s ALL my boxes ticked! Look amazing. I’m experimenting with wholemeal spelt in biscuits at the moment – really like your idea of combining it with oats.

4. Laura Denman

5th October 2014 at 9:32 pm

I’m totally with you on this – these are perfect comforters and I wish I had one to nibble on right now! I love the sound of that chocolate you used. Thanks for entering them into the Biscuit Barrel =)

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 8:26 am

Somehow so right for this time of year Laura. The chocolate was delicious.

5. Heidi Roberts

5th October 2014 at 10:15 pm

let’s see ginger, oats and chocolate, mmmm heaven!

6. Tammy

6th October 2014 at 2:34 am

Oooh my don’t these look good! I love sweet ginger…these are perfect for the holidays coming up.

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 8:28 am

Thanks Tammy. Ginger is a fabulous spice and it works so well with chocolate.

7. The Yogi Vegetarian

6th October 2014 at 6:49 am

Thanks for sharing-these look amazing- I adore ginger and chocolate. I must try to veganise the recipe asap!

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 8:13 am

So simple to veganise the recipe, just swap coconut oil for the butter. Coconut oil makes fantastic biscuits.

8. Angie Schneider

6th October 2014 at 7:50 am

These oaty ginger biscuits look awesome.

6th October 2014 at 9:36 am

these look a little like anzacs that I grew up on but a lot fancier – I do love an oaty biscuit and think the idea of this chocolate in them is lovely

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Johanna. I don’t think I’ve ever had an anzac. I keep meaning to make some, but like so many others on my must make list, I haven’t got around to it yet!

10. Jane Sarchet

6th October 2014 at 11:54 am

Oh yeah! I bet they are blooming gorgeous 🙂
    Janie x

11. Janice Pattie

6th October 2014 at 5:30 pm

mmm chocolate and ginger is a match made in heaven and I do like an oaty cookie, nice work missus!

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 6:40 pm

Thanks Janice, oats are a true wonder as is chocolate and ginger of course 😉

12. anyonita green

6th October 2014 at 7:32 pm

What fantastic biscuits! 🙂 Oaty biscuits are my absolute favourite!

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Anyonita, I find oat biscuits very hard to resist too – especially these ones 🙂

13. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

6th October 2014 at 9:48 pm

These are perfect for the changing weather….. they sound wonderfully warming and look like a whole batch will be devoured in one sitting! Yum yum!!

• Choclette Blogger

7th October 2014 at 10:03 am

Kate, these were delicious, but with the best will in the world, I think anyone would be hard pressed to eat the whole lot in one go – even CT!

14. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

7th October 2014 at 8:33 am

Such a yummy cookie. Love the ginger in there!

15. Jessica Holmes

7th October 2014 at 9:23 am

I love ginger! These cookies look and sound fantastic!

16. belleau kitchen

7th October 2014 at 3:47 pm

lovely, simple and chewy… a little bit like me x

17. bangers-and-mash.com

18th October 2014 at 6:04 pm

I’d have found it very hard to hand these bad boys over. I think I’d have eaten the entire batch in one sitting – easily! A lovely entry for this month’s #FamilyFoodies challenge. Thanks so much for linking up 🙂

18. Franglais Kitchen

9th October 2019 at 8:35 am

What delicious cookies! The crystallised ginger must have really been lovely in it. Thanks for linking to one ingredient. I’m sorry to have been slow but am finally doing my roundup post so linking back to your recipe.

19. Caroline

9th October 2019 at 8:42 am

They look delicious and what a wonderful gift. I love the combination of chocolate and ginger – I think I’ve inherited my love of it from my dad, his favourite Christmas present was Thornton’s chocolate gingers!

20. laura@howtocookgoodfood

9th October 2019 at 8:47 am

A brilliant post for learning a new recipe as well as a new word. Dreich I will now keep in mind for days like yesterday, so apt. I think the chocolate with mandarin & ginger sounds like it lifted a good biscuit Ito something pretty special. I am always impressed by the amount of home made gifts you make but agree you should keep more back for yourself!

21. Phil in the Kitchen

9th October 2019 at 8:52 am

Personally I think these sound exactly right as a winter biscuit – and there’s nothing wrong with the photos. Excellent use of the word drench but the way, it’s one of my favourite words at the moment.

22. Laura Loves Cakes

9th October 2019 at 8:59 am

I really want to try cookies in a jar but didn’t manage to get round to it this year … maybe next year! Your cookies look fab though and suitably festive with some warming ginger! P.S. I didn’t know what drench meant either.