Cornish Sea Salted Caramel Birthday Cake

On Friday, we celebrated Cornwall Clandestine Cake Club’s 1st birthday.  With this momentous event in mind, we were tasked with making something rather special, a “birthday cake”, not I hasten to add that the CCC cakes aren’t always special. I’d seen a few caramel cakes on the internet recently and had also just tried Green & Black’s new sea salted milk chocolate which I rather fell for. These combined to give me salted caramel on the brain, so I decided to indulge my new found obsession and make a salted caramel chocolate cake. I couldn’t find anything in my cookery books or on the net that appealed, so I adapted the chocolate caramel cupcakes I made a couple of years ago to fit my vision.

This is what I did:
  • Dissolved 225g caster sugar in a large pan on gentle heat with 100ml water.
  • Brought to the boil and left for a few minutes to bubble away. Then “watched like a hawk” for it to turn to a nice reddish brown caramel colour, but to ensure it didn’t burn.
  • Poured in 200ml double cream.  It all went very lumpy at this point, but I stirred and stirred and eventually it became more or less smooth.
  • Stirred in 1/2 tsp Cornish sea salt and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Creamed 250g unsalted butter with 200g dark brown sugar.
  • Beat in about 1/3 of the caramel.
  • Broke in three duck eggs (large hens eggs are fine) and beat well.
  • Sifted in 200g flour (1/2 spelt, 1/2 white), 40g of cocoa and 1 rounded tsp baking powder.
  • Spooned into two 21 cm cake moulds and baked at 180C for 20 minutes.
  • Left to cool for ten minutes then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Creamed 80g salted butter with 120g icing sugar until my arm was sore and the mixture was very light and fluffy.
  • Beat in another 1/2 of the remaining caramel.
  • Spread on top of one of the cooled cakes and placed the other on top.
  • Licked the bowl clean – reckoned it was the best buttercream I’ve yet made.
  • Spread the remaining caramel over the top of the cake.
  • Sprinkled various milk, dark and white chocolate bits over the top and dusted very lightly with two types of edible gold glitter.

Modesty be hanged, this cake proved to be very popular with the other cake club members and I only got to try a tiny slice. It was rich and chocolatey and offered the discerning punter three separate hits of salted caramel of differing intensities in the various layers. This just proves to me that salted caramel has not yet had its day!

I’d had visions of the caramel dripping down the sides of the cake, but by the time I got to apply it, it had set. This must mean that I am fated to make it again.

I shall be posting about the splendiferous fare that appeared at the first birthday celebrations of Cornwall Clandestine Cake Club in a few days time.

1. Caroline

14th October 2012 at 8:08 am

Wow, that looks utterly fabulous. I’m not surprised it was popular at CCC – at least you got to try a small slice. I must try the whole salted chocolate/caramel thing, it seems to have passed me by.

14th October 2012 at 8:47 am

Thanks C. I guess it’s not so very different from peanut butter used in baking – sweet and salt in that combination seems to be very popular.

2. Baked with kindness...

14th October 2012 at 10:00 am

That sounds absolutely fantastic! I’ve been getting my fill of the salted caramel mocha that they have in Starbucks at the moment, I haven’t had a chance to get hold of the new G&B salted caramel chocolate though.

Will have to try this, thank you :O)

14th October 2012 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Ryan. Don’t want to get your hopes up, G&B don’t have salted caramel yet, not as far as I know anyway. There new bar is sea salted milk chocolate.

3. Kath

14th October 2012 at 9:05 am

Oh Good Lord Choc that cake looks amazing! It sounds absolutely heavenly, oh to live in Cornwall….

14th October 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thank goodness I live in Cornwall Kath, it’s the cake & beautiful empty spaces that keep me going.

4. belleau kitchen

14th October 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh C it is a thing of beauty!… I am still in love with the whole salted caramel thing and this, with it’s quite fudgy looking icing really must hit the spot!… I didn’t know about the Green and Blacks new flavour so I MUST pop out and get this soon… beautiful cake, wish I’d been there to try a slice.

14th October 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Dom – me too, not living in the oh most fashionable London, I’ve still in love with it too. Would have loved you to have been there and to have tried a slice. It would be fun to have a cake club with a crowd of us bloggers.

5. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

14th October 2012 at 10:30 am

What a beauty! That is one classy cake 🙂

6. Foodycat

14th October 2012 at 10:31 am

It looks gorgeous! I would be honoured to have that as my birthday cake. I also rather like the way the caramel has stayed on top, it gives nice extra height.

15th October 2012 at 6:38 am

Ah, thank you. The height was a bit of an issue, the cakes didn’t rise as well as I’d hoped, but actually the taste and texture were fine.

7. manu

14th October 2012 at 10:46 am

On Friday we celebated a bithday too, my daughter’s (12 yrs)…
    This cake looks delicius, we made chocolate cupcakes!!

15th October 2012 at 6:40 am

Manu, many happy returns to your daughter. I expect your cupcakes were lovely. I’ll come and take a look.

8. Katharine

14th October 2012 at 11:21 am

What a beautiful looking cake! It sounds delicious too – I love the combination of salted caramel and chocolate!

15th October 2012 at 6:41 am

Thank you Katherine, it’s one of my favourite combinations and it proved to be popular with everyone else too.

14th October 2012 at 12:50 pm

I wouldn’t have thought it possible but you have totally outdone yourself with this bombshell of a cake. What a gem. Salted caramel with chocolate and in a cake form is surely unbeatable.

15th October 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Chele, I’ve been dreaming this one up for quite some time 😉

10. The Caked Crusader

14th October 2012 at 3:55 pm

Love how you’ve decorated this – looks so classy

15th October 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks CC – cake decorating is a bit hit and miss I find, but I got it right this time 😀

11. Chris

14th October 2012 at 6:22 pm

That cakes looks totally gorgeous. I have to bookmark this definitely.I don’t know what everyone is doing to me at the moment, or maybe I’m just in the mood or attracted by all these cakes and sweet recips.

15th October 2012 at 6:20 pm

It’s the cold, wet and dark weather, it makes us all crave comfort food Chris 🙂

12. Rachel Cotterill

14th October 2012 at 6:29 pm

I’m obsessed by salted caramel ( not craftsmen, as my phone suggests…) at the moment. This sounds wonderful 🙂

15th October 2012 at 6:25 pm

Well there are worse things than craftsmen 😉 Salted caramel is a particularly fine taste 🙂

13. Chiara

14th October 2012 at 6:49 pm

But is wonderful….slurp! Ciao from Roma! 🙂

14. mylittleitaliankitchen

14th October 2012 at 9:04 pm

What a lovely looking cake and very original with salted caramel. Delicious.

15. Phil in the Kitchen

14th October 2012 at 8:11 pm

Sounds and looks absolutely lovely. Salted caramel is a lovely thing, no doubt about it.

15th October 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thanks Phil, I’m very happy for this particular flavour to stick around a while longer.

16. underthebluegumtree.com

15th October 2012 at 2:02 pm

Yum!!!!! #thatisall

15th October 2012 at 7:25 pm

Indeed AND that was all 😉

17. laura@howtocookgoodfood

15th October 2012 at 1:46 pm

What a stunner! I haven’t tried this G&B flavour yet. I do like Lindt’s dark choc with a hint of sea salt but think this could even be better. This is certainly a cake I will be making for a special occasion, probably my hub’s birthday which is in December. Flavours both he & I adore 🙂 xx

15th October 2012 at 7:24 pm

Thank you Laura, It’s certainly a birthday cake I would appreciate. I didn’t know about the Lindt, so will have to look out for that. But as I generally prefer a good milk chocolate, I suspect I might prefer the G&B,

18. All That I'm Eating

15th October 2012 at 3:12 pm

What a cake. It sounds immense! Wish I could have been at the party for a slice!

15th October 2012 at 7:26 pm

Would have loved you to have been there too 🙂

19. hungryhinny

15th October 2012 at 9:19 pm

I commented on this yesterday but it seems not to have appeared – I think blogger hates me!

Anyway, what I said yesterday was something along the lines of AMAZING cake, but disappointed that I could only manage a tiny slice at Cake Club and the slice I brought home mysteriously disappeared…

And what I was coming back to say today is have you tried the Kernow Chocolate salted milk chocolate? Would be interesting to know how it compares to G&B’s…

16th October 2012 at 6:41 am

Oh sorry Nat. I suspect it’s to do with the wretched capcha, which bugs me no end. I wonder how many other comments I’m losing.

Thanks for your endorsement, there were a lot of very tasty cakes, including yours. I think I might have tried the Kernow choc at the Cornwall Food Fest, but would need to do a compare and contrast directly. I like G&B because of the higher cocoa content AND it’s organic and fair trade, but I do like to support local too – a dilemma!

20. Janine

15th October 2012 at 10:40 pm

This sounds delicious – I can see why there was barely any left for you! I’ll bookmark this for baking asap as I’ve wanted to try making salted caramel for a while.

17th October 2012 at 7:04 pm

Would love it if you tested it out for me Janine 😉

21. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com

15th October 2012 at 11:13 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! I use cooked condensed milk a lot instead of caramel, I wonder if it would work here.

17th October 2012 at 7:06 pm

I should think that would work really well. You could try it and let me know 🙂

22. celia

16th October 2012 at 3:47 am

That looks amazing, Choc! It would be a huge hit here – my boys are big caramel fans!

17th October 2012 at 7:07 pm

You’re boys have very good taste Celia 🙂

23. franglaiskitchen.com

16th October 2012 at 9:05 am

quite simply a stunning cake, with some delicious ingredients. I do love chocolate and caramel and this cake with its fudgy salted caramel filling and topping works for me ! Nazima (Franglais Kitchen) x

17th October 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thank you Nazima, I was quietly pleased with this one 🙂

24. Recipe Junkie

16th October 2012 at 1:03 pm

Just reading this recipe is making me slaver. How delicious. I love salted caramel/toffee

17th October 2012 at 7:21 pm

Ooh, now I’ve not had a salted caramel toffee before – I’m missing out!

25. Green Dragonette

17th October 2012 at 6:44 pm

Oh my oh my-that sounds a fantastic cake!!

26. Javelin Warrior

19th October 2012 at 4:12 am

This cake is epic, Choclette! And I love that you didn’t ice the entire cake, but instead left the sides bare – the contrast between the layers and center filling is gorgeous. And I’m sure this tasted just as wonderful as it looks… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thanks for continuing to inspire me with your creations…

19th October 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hey, good to see you recovered JW and very pleased this has made it into your Food Fetish Friday. Thanks also for your lovely complement 🙂

27. Vickii

22nd October 2012 at 10:44 am

This looks absolutely amazing and I’m sure tasted even better! I LOVE salted caramel! I think it just might be my favourite thing in the whole wide world!

22nd November 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Vicki – I sort of feel the same way 😉

28. Homemade by Fleur

26th October 2012 at 6:00 am

I’ve just tried that new Green and Blacks chocolate too. It’s lovely, I know sea salted stuff has been around for a while, but I only just discovered it really. Your cake looks amazing, and just the sort of thing I would try. Thanks for posting.

22nd November 2012 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Fleur. It’s ridiculous, I’ve always tried to keep salt to a minimum and now I want it in all my chocolate!

29. Beingmefrom82

22nd November 2012 at 11:00 am

I can’t wait to try out this recipe!!! It’s just what my taste buds have been waiting for!!! Salted caramel AND chocolate!!! What a great combo!!! x x x

22nd November 2012 at 12:01 pm

This is one I shall be returning to again for sure, chocolate and sea salted caramel is my favourite thing at the moment. Do let me know how you get on.