Marmite Caramel Brownies – Not so Very Peculiar

You may well have done a double take when you read Marmite caramel brownies. But if you like sweet and salt together, you’ll like these brownies. Who’s not a fan of salted caramel? They’re really not a peculiar as you might think. In fact, they are downright delicious.

Marmite – Love It or Hate It?

Well, there is the great Marmite debate: love it or hate it? And then there is the even greater divide, chocolate with Marmite, yes or no? I happen to be a big Marmite fan, as long as it’s applied sparingly, but combined with chocolate I’m not so sure. Or at least I was somewhat dubious until I was sent a bar of Very Peculiar to try. In case you’re unfamiliar with this, it’s Marmite chocolate. I like the combination of salt and sweet, but there’s a lot more to Marmite than just salt.

Very Peculiar

Very Peculiar is an apt name. The first bite tasted very peculiar indeed, the flavour of garlic and celery was there and took a bit of getting used to, but by my second bite I was getting something that was more akin to the taste of peanut butter. Now peanut butter and chocolate is one of the flavours I’m really rather fond of. By my third bite, I was thoroughly enjoying it and had to put a stop to proceedings before I polished the bar off. Strangely the Marmite only came through as an aftertaste.
A bar of Very Peculiar - Marmite chocolate.
The chocolate is minimal, only 31% and the list of ingredients is long, but I found this strangely addictive and would not be averse to another bar or two. CT rather enjoyed it too and for a while I was worried it would never actually made it to the bake I was planning.

Along with the bar of Very Peculiar came a box of baking goodies which included, not surprisingly, a jar of Marmite. I was tasked with using the chocolate to create something delicious. I took the remaining half of the bar and put it somewhere safe while I contemplated its fate. Remembering the delicious sea salted caramels I’d recently reviewed, I thought Marmite caramel might just work. Chocolate brownies made with Very Peculiar and oozing soft caramel was the vision that set my pulse racing. So Marmite Caramel Brownies it was.

Box of baking goodies including Marmite and Very Peculiar

Marmite Caramel Brownies

The Marmite caramel was a triumph of perfectly balanced salt and decedent sweetness with a certain je ne sais quoi and it was all I could do not to tuck in straight away with a large spoon. Supertaster CT detected the Marmite, but my mother was none the wiser and just pronounced it to be delicious when I gave her a spoonful to try.

Top of the Marmite caramel brownie s before being cut.

The brownies were true to my vision and completely scrumptious. They had the classic crunchy top and were running with caramel. I had to try one warm from the oven and thought things really couldn’t get better than this. Despite the sweetness of the caramel, these were well balanced by both the Marmite and the dark chocolate. The Marmite gave a slight saltiness and a certain umami quality that we all liked, although CT was the only one who could actually taste Marmite. The next day, they had formed a more fudgy consistency, but were just as good. These have to be some of the best brownies I have ever made.

Other Tin and Thyme Brownie Recipes You Might Like

Follow this link for more Tin and Thyme brownie recipes. And if these really aren’t enough for you, I have over a hundred on my Bake up a Brownie board on Pinterest.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these Marmite caramel brownies, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Marmite Caramel Brownies. PIN IT.

Close up of Marmite caramel brownies.

Marmite Caramel Brownies – The Recipe

5 from 1 vote
Marmite Caramel Brownies
Prep Time
25 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
50 mins

If you like sweet and salt together and particularly sea salted caramel, you will like these brownies.
Course: Afternoon Tea, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keywords: brownies, Marmite, salted caramel
Servings: 12 brownies
Author: Choclette
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • scant 1/2 tsp Marmite
  • 90 g caster sugar
  • 200 ml double cream
  • 100 g unsalted butter
  • 100 g dark chocolate 85%
  • 50 g Very Peculiar (Marmite chocolate)
  • 200 g dark brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
  • 95 g self-raising flour
  • 5 g cocoa powder
  1. Melt the honey and marmite in a pan over medium heat, then slowly add the sugar and leave for a few minutes to melt and lightly caramelise.
  2. Heat the cream in another pan to just about boiling.
  3. When the sugar has reached a golden caramel colour, add the cream, standing well back in case of spitting. Stir vigourously and continue to cook for a few minutes until the caramel is thick and golden but still liquid. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
  4. Melt the butter and chocolate in a large pan over low heat.Remove from the heat, add the sugar and stir. Beat in the eggs one by one, then sift in the dry ingredients.
  5. Stir until just combined, then spoon half the mixture into a 20 cm square mould (line as appropriate).
  6. Spoon the cooled caramel over the top, then dollop over the rest of the brownie mixture. Drag a skewer through the mixture to swirl it together slightly.
  7. Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes until well risen with only a slight wobble to it.
  8. Leave to cool, then cut into 12 pieces.

Sharing

As these Marmite caramel brownies are thoroughly wicked, I’m sending them off to this month’s Calendar Cakes. It’s hosted by Dolly Bakes with the theme something wicked this way comes…. This monthly challenge is co-hosted at Laura Loves Cakes.

The Marmite caramel was perhaps the best I’ve ever made. As it was from scratch, I’m submitting the brownies to Javelin Warrior’s Made With Love Mondays.

Thanks to Beth from Splendid Communications for the bar of Very Peculiar and accompanying baking items which I was sent in order to create a Very Peculiar bake.

1. Laura Denman

27th October 2013 at 11:18 am

I am absolutely trying these! I’m a marmite lover and although the initial sound of marmite and chocolate makes me question what I’m thinking your post has got me eager to try it =)

2. Elizabeth Young

27th October 2013 at 11:24 am

Can’t WAIT to try this next time I’m in the UK! I’m such a fan of marmite and the sweet and salty combination! Thanks for posting!

3. Suzy Bowler

27th October 2013 at 11:25 am

Wow – you are a brave and clever lady! I have tried Very Peculiar and like it although I couldn’t have identified the Marmite in it. Your brownies sound gorgeous.

4. Suelle

27th October 2013 at 11:28 am

I’m a Marmite hater, and the only way you’ll convince me these brownies work, is to send me one!

5. Janine

27th October 2013 at 11:30 am

I’m not sure if I like marmite… I never liked it as a kid but I quite like the smell now. These brownies are persuading me to give it a try. They look and sound delicious!

6. Kath

27th October 2013 at 12:04 pm

I love Marmite and these sound very interesting indeed. I will look out for a bar of Very Peculiar, it sounds intriguing.

27th October 2013 at 12:23 pm

oh that is really odd in an exciting sort of way – and I am surprised at the flavours you could taste from the marmite – I really want to try these with vegemite – not sure I have ever tasted celery and garlic in vegemite but there is definitely yeast

8. GG

27th October 2013 at 2:04 pm

I love Marmite, the thicker the better on hot buttered toast. But Marmite chocolate, I just couldn’t do it. I barely got through the first bite, there wasn’t going to be a second or third!! However I bet it makes great caramel and perhaps I should be brave and try your brownies. GG

9. belleau kitchen

27th October 2013 at 3:05 pm

Not a fan of marmite but I am intrigued by these brownies and feel it would be rude not to try one… or two… or three…

10. Tea in England

27th October 2013 at 4:52 pm

First of all, thanks for dropping by my blog! Secondly, WOW – these brownies sound delicious! I don’t care for Marmite – but this recipe is tempting me to give it another go! By the way, on the subject of chocolate, a work colleague and I recently went on this Chocolate Walking Tour of London. Have you been? It’s FANTASTIC! I was introduced to the chocolates of Paul A.Young and have realised just what magic can be woven into chocolate. I highly recommend this walk. Cheers!

11. The Caked Crusader

27th October 2013 at 5:30 pm

I have tried that marmite chocolate and was surprised by how much it worked. Love the look of your brownies.

12. Caroline Taylor

27th October 2013 at 6:13 pm

How intriguing! I tried the marmite chocolate and wasn’t a fan but these brownies have got me curious.

13. Baking Addict

28th October 2013 at 12:12 am

I love marmite and have tried marmite chocolate previously which I didn’t like initially but it slowly grew on me. This brownie sounds heavenly to me and I am bookmarking to try.

14. Torviewtoronto

28th October 2013 at 2:10 am

deliciously done looks wonderful

15. Katie

28th October 2013 at 6:29 am

Wow this certianly got my attention. When you said marmite and brownies I was unsure but when you think about it sweet and salty things do go so well together. I’d love to try one of these, very inventive

16. thelittleloaf

28th October 2013 at 1:27 pm

Marmite caramel? I think I’m in love! I’m normally will only eat Marmite on toast with just the right amount of butter, but love the idea of the salty sweet caramel in these brownies. A must-try.

17. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

28th October 2013 at 6:41 pm

I always love mixing sweet and savoury. I heard about Paul Young’s Marmite brownies and they had mixed reviews. I’m neither a lover nor a hater of Marmite so would be happy to try these. Most certainly after your review of them. Caramel sounds like a great touch! It would be interesting to lace the caramel with Marmite… the possibilities would be endless!

18. Angie Schneider

28th October 2013 at 7:28 pm

Marmite caramel in brownies….a heavenly combo! Just look at the oozing out center…o my..I wish I could have a bite now.

19. Javelin Warrior

28th October 2013 at 8:46 pm

I have never had the opportunity to try marmite, so I can’t quite imagine the flavor. Especially that of the chocolate bar… But I love the look of these, with the caramel oozing out… Very tasty looking, Choclette!

20. Wendy Tolhurst

30th October 2013 at 3:40 pm

Whilst I like marmite, I’m really not sure about these brownies. I will have to give them a go, because I just can’t imagine eating marmite and chocolate together! I think, however, I will refrain from telling anyone the special ingredient before they have tasted them as my family are a mixed bunch of marmite lovers and haters!

21. Daphne Bryson

2nd November 2013 at 9:16 am

Good Morning to you, You are absolutely right, you either love Marmite or you hate it….. my husband loves Marmite and I love chocolate, so these brownies will go down a storm in my house. I love sweet and salty as I love peanut butter and jam, especially on an oat cracker….. mmm I wonder if Marmite and chocolate would work together.
    Thank you for such an interesting recipe, I will certainly be baking these.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my visit and I have become a new follower, I am now going to enjoy your other recipes.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

3rd November 2013 at 4:51 pm

Thanks very much for leaving such a nice comment and for following Daphne. Much as I love Marmite, I would never have thought I’d have enjoyed it with chocolate – just goes to show.

3rd November 2013 at 5:01 pm

Daphne, I tried leaving a comment on your Christmas Cake post, but it looks as though I can only do it if I’m on Google+ – which I’m not.

22. Laura Loves Cakes

3rd November 2013 at 11:31 am

Marmite chocolate…that is very peculiar!! These brownies sound very interesting…and definitely a bit wicked. Thanks for entering them into October’s Calendar Cakes 🙂

23. Maya Russell

15th December 2013 at 6:04 am

I LOVE marmite and so do the kids so this cake is going to have to be tried one day.

24. prwilson

21st December 2013 at 2:34 am

I’d give them a go, but I’d be very dubious about the Marmite.

25. My Wedding Venue

8th January 2014 at 11:38 am

Sounds like an acquired taste! Would love to try it actually after reading this.

26. Indulgent Chocolate & Salted Caramel Cake –

28th July 2015 at 2:28 pm

[…] Salted Caramel Chocolate Pots Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart White Chocolate & Salted Caramel eclairs Salted Caramel & Chocolate Brownies Salted Caramel & Peach Sundae Marmite Caramel Brownies […]

27. Julia Palfrey

26th May 2019 at 2:02 pm

Great Idea! Very unique, I can see how the flavours would work together. I usually put rosemary and maldon salt on my brownies but this is super cool!

26th May 2019 at 5:53 pm

Ooh but rosemary and malden salt sounds quite intriguing too Julia. We’ll have to swap.