Chocolate Ale Fruit Cake & Baking Mad

Loaf Cakes | 6th March 2012 | By

In case anyone hasn’t heard, there is a new series of Baking Mad with Eric Lanlard coming to Channel 4; it started yesterday on 5 March at 12:05 and will run every day for 4 weeks. Each 30 minute episode will feature three members of the public who will come to his cookery school, Cake Boy, to demonstrate their baking skills and take part in a “Bake Off”. Our very own Dom of Belleau Kitchen will be featuring on 15 March.

So that I can share in the fun, I am baking one of Eric’s recipes developed especially for the series. Amazingly I still had some chocolate ale left over from the triple chocolate ale brownies I made a year ago and even more amazingly it was still potable. Taking this as a good omen I decided to have a go at making this chocolate ale fruit cake. The flour, sugar and my chosen recipe were provided by Baking Mad.

This is how I did it:

• The afternoon before the day of baking, I placed 390g dried fruit (mostly raisins, but some pineapple & some papaya) in a bowl.
  • Added 250ml chocolate ale, gave a good stir, covered and left in a warm place (over a heater) overnight.
  • Stirred in 100g dark muscovado sugar.
  • Beat in 2 duck eggs – hooray, duck eggs are back in season!
  • Sifted in 85g self-raising flour, 100g wholemeal self-raising flour and 3 tsp mixed spice (my mix was allspice, cinnamon, mace, cloves & cayenne).
  • Folded the flour in and poured into a buttered 21.5 x 11 cm loaf mould.
  • Baked at 140C for 1.5 hrs.
  • Left to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This is a robust tasting cake to sustain the workers or as CT put it, “probably good with a nice mug of builder’s tea (or chocolate ale even) brought out wrapped in waxed paper from a pair of overalls for elevenses after a long session digging over the beds”. It is tangy and moist with a nice chewy texture and is delicious toasted with butter.

1. Charlotte Pike

6th March 2012 at 8:05 am

This looks great – what a fine specimen your loaf is. I must try and track down some chocolate ale now…

6th March 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Charlotte and good luck. It’s not the easiest thing to get hold of, but then you are in London 🙂

2. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

6th March 2012 at 8:29 am

just think of the tasty house you could build with bricks like that!

6th March 2012 at 8:36 pm

Trouble is, it wouldn’t last very long Dom – either that or it would get mouldy!

3. Lucy, Vanilla Frost

6th March 2012 at 11:36 am

Chocolate ale? Sounds interesting! I’m off to set up Sky Plus for 12.05. When is Dom on? The cake looks great.

6th March 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks, Dom is on show on 15th March – so he tells me! I’ve updated the post now to reflect this.

4. laura@howtocookgoodfood

6th March 2012 at 2:00 pm

I do love a good fruit loaf but this is on another level. Chocolate Ale I am now desperate to try not only in the recipe but to drink too…..sounds intriguing and surely would be the perfect tipple to accompany such a fruit laden loaf! Love all the spices you have used too xx

6th March 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’m not a great beer drinker Laura, but I did manage a whole glass of this one. It was actually rather nice and is great in baking. Robust spices for a robust cake 😉

6th March 2012 at 5:34 pm

Ohhhhh – now I’ve seen your post I’m kinda wishing I had picked that from the list of recipes lol. Its looking ultra tasty I must say. Lets hope my ice cream turns out just as well as your loaf has for Baking Mad!

6th March 2012 at 8:47 pm

Swap some of your ice-cream for a slice or two of this? You make great ice-cream – it will be delicious Chele.

6. A Trifle Rushed

6th March 2012 at 5:53 pm

Mmmm! Chocolate ale, fruit and cake, I think I could live on this. I haven’t seen Baking Mad, I’ll see if I can find it on whatever Channel 4’s catch up is!

6th March 2012 at 8:48 pm

Think it’s 4OD Jude. Unfortunately our broadband isn’t up to playing that very well, so am hoping it will be alright on the night!

7. Green Dragonette

6th March 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’ve never seen this programme but if Dom is on it we mustn’t miss it!!

6th March 2012 at 8:49 pm

Ha ha, indeed not. He’s on the 15th March apparently.

8. Kit @ i-lostinausten

6th March 2012 at 6:38 pm

Wow! Another fantastic recipe with an appetizing & original brick look! Sounds really amazing !

6th March 2012 at 8:50 pm

Thanks, you made me laugh. Have never really thought of a brick looking appetising before!

• Kit @ i-lostinausten

6th March 2012 at 11:08 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Kit @ i-lostinausten

6th March 2012 at 11:27 pm

Oh gosh! Just pressed the wrong button & my last comment is gone! These bricky looking Chocolate ale cake looks tasty to me especially when there’s ale in it!

9. Lauralovescakes

6th March 2012 at 8:06 pm

I didn’t even realise there was such a thing as chocolate ale! Who needs a tea loaf when you can have an alcohol loaf! 🙂

6th March 2012 at 8:50 pm

Laura, you’ve got it in one 😉

11. avillagepantry

6th March 2012 at 8:56 pm

You had me at pineapple, then papaya. I gave up at chocolate ale. Where can I buy this? 😉

6th March 2012 at 9:11 pm

We could do a swap – a slice of green tea loaf for a slice of this!

12. thelittleloaf

7th March 2012 at 9:28 am

Looks like a lovely loaf! I’m not a big fan of ale to drink but it does work well in cooking (I use it to soak fruit for hot cross buns). Love the idea of chocolate ale – definitely one to try!

7th March 2012 at 8:31 pm

Alcohol generally works better for me in cooking, but I did have a glass of this ale and it was very nice. Your hot cross buns sound delicious – any particular type of beer?

13. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane

7th March 2012 at 9:36 am

Wow – congrats to Dom! Also, I never know of chocolate ale before, that sounds delicious!

7th March 2012 at 8:36 pm

Xinmei, I’m not much of a beer drinker, but I did enjoy a glass of this one 🙂

14. Javelin Warrior

7th March 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this and letting us know about Dom – I actually have a the Cake Boy cookbook by Eric Lanlard so I’m keep to hear more about this… 🙂

8th March 2012 at 9:08 pm

I don’t have that one, but am hoping I might be getting it as a thank you for doing this post!

15. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours

7th March 2012 at 11:06 pm

I think that I possibly have a bottle of the same chocolate ale, from the same brownies from last year. Although I might have made a casserole with it. Possibly.

The underside of your loaf does look remarkably brick like, all down to the loaf tin of course.

8th March 2012 at 9:09 pm

Take it you’re not an ale drinker either then Helen. I am so ridiculously unobservant, I didn’t notice it looked like a brick until it was pointed out – doh!

16. C

8th March 2012 at 8:58 pm

Sounds great! I keep meaning to try baking with booze – perhaps not chocolate ale, but stout or similar. I’m put off by having leftovers though – I’m not a big drinker!

8th March 2012 at 9:11 pm

It should keep C if you don’t use it all in one bake. Weirdly, I was just thinking it was time I paid you a visit when your comment popped up!

17. cakeboule

8th March 2012 at 9:20 pm

Well this is a great cake! Certainly a solid will travel well and be enjoyed experience.

9th March 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes, it’s currently going in CTs lunch boxes to sustain him through his 15 hour days!

18. Jacqueline

8th March 2012 at 10:31 pm

That looks really wonderful Choclette and I like the thought of chocolate ale in it. I just posted a recipe from the series too. I picked the same one as Janice, funnily enough. I am looking forward to Dom’s debut next week too!

9th March 2012 at 9:24 am

Thanks Jac. It’s funny how we seem to be going for the same recipes. Karen’s doing this one too!

10th March 2012 at 12:13 pm

that last photo looks like a brick which makes it seem dense and crunchy on the outside (not that I have ever eaten a brick) but the first one looks moist and full of good stuff – could you taste the chocolate?

20. celia

11th March 2012 at 3:54 am

How nice that you’re back to duck eggs! And the cake looks great – I’m a bit hooked on Muscovado sugar at the moment.. 🙂