Cinnamon Choc Chip Friands

A while back, ahem, I had two egg whites left over from the coconut cream pie I made. Since making friands for the first time just after Christmas, I had something other than meringues or macaroons to use them in and I was keen to experiment some more.

This is what I did:

• Melted 60g unsalted butter and put aside to cool a little.
  • Whisked two egg whites until frothy but not stiff.
  • Folded in melted butter.
  • Gently stirred in 80g sifted icing sugar, 30g sifted flour, 40g ground almonds and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
  • Added 35g chopped 70% dark chocolate.
  • Divided mixture between 6 buttered muffin moulds and sprinkled a few flaked almonds on the tops.
  • Baked at 180C for 22 minutes.
  • Turned out onto a wire rack to cool.
  • Dusted with icing sugar.

I have a sneaking suspicion that friands are going to be my new passion! They are dead simple to make and really delicious. These were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. There was a lovely light aroma and taste of cinnamon and the dark chocolate balanced the sweetness really well. Using only 4 moulds would have given a deeper cake, but I thought they worked well half filled; as a result there was more crispness per cake and it meant for a daintier portion – or do I just mean an excuse to have a second one!

I am contributing this to Ruth Clemens’ Save the Children Recipe Challenge over at the Pink Whisk. The amount of malnutrition and starvation in our world is truly shocking. You can help a little by Naming A Day over at Save the Children. This campaign aims to get David Cameron to name a day to hold a summit on global hunger.

11th March 2012 at 8:00 am

Oh you are speaking to my heart when you say chocolate chip friands. Great recipe, they look so good ;0)

11th March 2012 at 8:13 pm

Understand friands are really popular in Oz – if you’ve got any good recipes would love to see them 🙂

2. Green Dragonette

11th March 2012 at 8:15 am

They look scrummy!!

Just need to have some left over egg whites…what the heck-I’ll just make these and have some left over yolks instead!!

11th March 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ooh yes do, then you can make some ice-cream 😉

3. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

11th March 2012 at 8:17 am

They look beautiful. I can totally understand how these will become your knew favourites. I think I’m in love already!

11th March 2012 at 8:15 pm

Dom, we’re a fickle lot us bakers, but I really do want to try more of these.

4. Lauralovescakes

11th March 2012 at 8:41 am

These look super tasty…and just a little bit moreish…I’d start with the best of intentions and only intend to eat one…but would probably end up eating at least 5!!! I went to a nice restaurant recently and they gave us a breakfast bag on the way out which had Friands in it amongst other things! 🙂

11th March 2012 at 8:16 pm

Friands for breakfast? I like that idea. Getting a breakfast bag sounds rather fun too.

5. Foodycat

11th March 2012 at 10:16 am

Only 2 egg whites! That’s a frugal version of them too. They look perfect!

11th March 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thank you, high praise coming from a friand aficionado!

6. The Caked Crusader

11th March 2012 at 1:11 pm

I do love a good friand – these look ace!

11th March 2012 at 8:17 pm

How come everyone knows about these except me?

11th March 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’ve only ever had friands from shops but I always think they are not so different from muffins – these sounds great – I have one egg white and possibly will have another if I make the cake again but I had some egg yolk in one so I have ruled out anything that needs egg whites too fluffy but maybe this would work – love the flavour cobmination

11th March 2012 at 8:18 pm

Johanna, yes duffed up egg whites would be fine in these. I’ve never seen one in a shop over here, but the ones I’ve made are nothing like muffins, they have quite a different texture.

8. Janet Rudolph @ DyingforChocolate

11th March 2012 at 3:16 pm

These sounds fabulous. I don’t think I’ve ever had a ‘friand’.. will have to make soon.

11th March 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for visiting Janet. I hadn’t had one either until I made some – simple and delicious, what could be better?

9. manu

11th March 2012 at 4:17 pm

These looks so yummy!
    Happy Sunday

11th March 2012 at 8:20 pm

Ahh, thank you Manu. Hope you had a good weekend too.

10. C

11th March 2012 at 4:22 pm

They look lovely, and I like the idea of the crisp outside contrasting against the soft middle – very inviting indeed.

11th March 2012 at 8:21 pm

Rather too inviting C. These and Nonnettes are my new found loves – France has a lot to answer for!

11. A Trifle Rushed

11th March 2012 at 6:18 pm

A fantastic recipe for a really important and worthwhile cause. Well done 🙂

12. Kate@whatkatebaked

11th March 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’ve never made a friand before- thank you for the inspiration Choclette… do you have a specific friand tin? I think I’ve spotted those on the shelves of Lakeland, John Lewis et al!

11th March 2012 at 8:23 pm

No specific tin required. I just used muffin moulds and didn’t fill them. I have a feeling they are traditionally in an oval shape, but they look good as rounds too.

13. hungryhinny

11th March 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’ve never tried friands, but I love the chocolate-cinnamon combination and they sound really simple to make – will ave to bookmark this for the next time I have egg whites to spare!

14. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

11th March 2012 at 9:05 pm

Scrumptious ! I love friands – I make the ones with raisins in sometimes. They have a wonderful texture and such a great alternative to meringues. Yours look really beautiful 🙂

15. Jennifer

12th March 2012 at 11:26 am

I love the look of these and can’t wait to try them. Oooh yum.

16. thelittleloaf

12th March 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’ve never made friands, in fact I don’t think I’ve even ever eaten them! Definitely something I need to remedy as they look and sound delicious (and a much better way of using up egg whites than macarons, which I used to do – I’ve decided they’re far too sweet for me!).

17. Charlotte Pike

12th March 2012 at 9:34 pm

Fab! I need to try these very soon! Thank you for sharing this recipe – looks simple but produces fantastic results!

Charlotte
    @gofreecakes

18. Working london mummy

13th March 2012 at 8:02 am

I love these, gorgeous mini cakes!

19. Mozart's Girl

13th March 2012 at 11:27 am

Love friands…I always bring some packs of friand cases home from trips to Australia as they are so quick & easy to bake & so delicious. simple to make gluten-free too, which is becoming more important on my Farmers Market stall.I particularly like raspberry or blueberry ones…but I may just give chocolate chip a whirl! x

20. AngelaC

13th March 2012 at 1:59 pm

These sound and looks scrummy! Will try one of these days 🙂

21. Shaheen

13th March 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’ve made friands once, I think it was a Donna Hay recipe with blueberries. Need to try them again. Yous look …well yummy 🙂

22. Javelin Warrior

13th March 2012 at 7:43 pm

It’s such a worthy cause and these friands look delicious – and the dark chocolate looks like the perfect addition…

23. laura@howtocookgoodfood

13th March 2012 at 7:52 pm

What a great and also easy recipe to follow. And it produces such delicious little cakes that look as light as a feather! I must join you in supporting such a worthwhile campaign too, thanks xx

24. cakeboule

13th March 2012 at 8:24 pm

They look cute not tried these before 🙂 Like the idea of htem being so light.

25. Karen S Booth

13th March 2012 at 8:47 pm

OH yes indeedy! I do love a Friand and yours look JUST amazing! I am so pleased to see that you have linked these gorgeous little numbers in with The Pink Whisk and her Save the Children campaign – fabulous! Karen

26. Clare

14th March 2012 at 10:36 am

Never heard of friands before but they look amazing! Oh I’d love to try one!!

27. Rosie

15th March 2012 at 4:29 pm

Thanks so much for taking part in our campaign to end child hunger. Your recipe is v.much appreciated! Rosie, Save the Children

28. Cinnamon Doughnuts - Baked not Fried » Coffee & Vanilla

23rd November 2016 at 7:41 pm

[…] and Cinnamon Cake, Lucy’s Apple and Cinnamon Madeleines, Chocolette’s Cinnamon Choc Chip Friands, Lindsey’s Banana Cinnamon Swirl Loaf, Ren’s Hidden Apple, Cinnamon and Honey Cake, […]