Almond Apple Cider Cake and Feeling Full in Falmouth
This time last week, I was enjoying wonderful views of Falmouth harbour from my bedroom window. The skies were blue, I was with good friends and the kitchen table sported an almond apple cider cake.
My friend Andy is not only a fan of crumbles, but also of apple cakes. When he invited us down to spend a few days with him in a holiday cottage in Falmouth, I knew immediately what sort of cake to bake and take with us. I’ve made many an apple cake in my time but I wanted to make something a bit different. Casting my mind back, I remembered this lemon and almond cake, which stands out as one of the best cakes I’ve made. I used this recipe as my inspiration and came up with this splendiferous almond apple cider cake. Autumn is the very best time to make such a cake. Apples are literally falling from the trees and cider is in full production.
Falmouth was wonderful and we were very lucky with the weather. We wondered the cobbled streets, walked around the harbour and beaches and clambered up Jacob’s Ladder a number of times. On our first full day, we enjoyed a morning coffee and stroll around Hotel Meudon’s lovely gardens and beach. This was followed by lunch at The Potager, a fabulous vegetarian cafe a few miles out of Falmouth. We finished off the afternoon by visiting Glendurgan Gardens on the Helford river, where we managed to find our way both in and out of the maze, once again.
On our second day, we took a trip up the River Fal to Trelissick Gardens, another splendid National Trust garden in the area. I’d never taken a boat up the Fal before and I’m so glad I did last week. It’s just beautiful. We ate rather a lot too. It’s got to be done when you’re out and about. We were only in Falmouth three nights, but it felt like a real holiday.
My friend Angela, who was also hosting us, is a fellow vegetarian. I knew Falmouth would not let us down when it came to eating out and indeed it had plenty to offer us. We found vegetarian cafes, vegan restaurants and good vegetarian options in a number of other eateries. Put it like this, we did not starve. Oh! And there was a very nice almond apple cider cake too. It was much appreciated by all. Even Angela, who doesn’t eat cakes, had a slice and finished it. She declared it better than any cake found in a cafe. Given that she doesn’t eat cake, I’m not quite sure how she knows this, but I’m happy to take the compliment.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 225g golden caster sugar (I use cardamom sugar)
- 3 large eggs (I use duck eggs)
- 100g wholemeal spelt flour
- 100g white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g ground almonds (I grind them as needed for freshness & texture)
- 100ml cider
- 3 medium sized cooking apples (400g) - peeled, cored and diced
- 25g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb.
- Add the apples and cider followed by the ground almonds and stir until just combined.
- Scrape into a 23 cm round silicone cake mould or lined tin.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over the top, followed by the demerara sugar.
- Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes or until the cake is well risen, golden on the top and an inserted cake skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Timings are approximate.
Pretty much everything except the sugar and the eggs in this cake is organic and the eggs are properly free range. It is #OrganicSeptember after all.
Other apple cake recipes you might like
- Apple cake via Planet Veggie
- Apple cardamom cake with quince frosting via Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Apple crumble & custard mini cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Apple hazelnut choc chip cake via Tin and Thyme
- Apple rose white chocolate cake via Tin and Thyme
- Apple Sharlotka cake via Little Sunny Kitchen
- Dorset apple cake with chocolate caramel via Tin and Thyme
- Easy apple cake via Maison Cupcake
- Honey apple cardamom mini bundt cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Little apple cupcakes via Family Friends Food
- Oaty apple traybake (vegan) via The Veg Space
- Spiced toffee apple bonfire cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Toffee apple cupcakes via Feeding Boys
If you like my recipe for Almond Apple Cider Cake, why not pin it for later?