Lemon Cake with Chocolate Icing

Cake, Loaf Cakes | 13th January 2015 | By

Never let it be said that I fail to keep my powder dry. Here’s a post I’ve just found from August 2012 that has yet to see the light of day on my blog – until now.

August 2012

Not a grand cake for CTs birthday, but a nice simple one that would travel well and his mother would enjoy. The day after his birthday CT was leaving to visit her for a few days and given that we were going to spend his actual birthday out and about I didn’t think there would be much room left for cake anyway. With an organic lemon in need of using up and some home made lemon curd, it had to be some sort of lemon cake.  When I did a search on Eat Your Books for lemon and chocolate, a recipe for lemon drizzle with chocolate chunks came up from G&Bs Unwrapped. Brilliant, I would make the lemon cake, swirl through some lemon curd rather than adding chocolate and make a chocolate topping instead.

This is how I made:

Lemon Cake with Chocolate Icing

• Creamed 125g unsalted butter and 125g cardamom sugar (caster) until light and fluffy.
  • Grated in the zest of one large organic lemon and creamed some more.
  • Beat in 2 large eggs, one by one.
  • Sifted in 150g flour (half wholemeal, half white) and 1 heaped tsp of baking powder.
  • Added 1 tbsp of milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice and stirred gently until just incorporated.
  • Spooned into a 2lb loaf mould and baked at 180C for 40 minutes until well risen and a toothpick inserted into the middle came out more or less clean.
  • Turned out onto a rack to cool.
  • Simmered 25g caster sugar with 25ml water for a couple of minutes.
  • Allowed to cool a little, then stirred in 40g of chopped milk chocolate (G&B 35%).
  • Stirred until smooth, then added 5g unsalted butter.
  • When cool but still just about runny, poured this over the cake.
  • Decorated with yellow sugar strands.

I was right, we were so full from lunch, we only managed a small slice each when we got home. The cake was delicious though and my concern that lemon wouldn’t go desperately well with chocolate was unfounded. It tasted just like Madeira cake and because I’d forgotten to add the lemon curd, it wasn’t too lemony.

Despite a really busy week at work I managed to take the day off. In true botanist style, CT chose to spend the day visiting gardens and nurseries in and around the English Riveria – in other words, across the border and into Devon. Amazingly it didn’t rain and we had a lovely day. We had lunch at The Combe Sellers, a pub restaurant right on the banks of the River Teign. The food was really good and the setting was lovely. As well as a celebratory glass of Pimms, we finished up with a sharing dessert platter which was responsible for us only managing a sliver of cake when we got home!

It just so happens that this month’s Love Cake theme over at JibberJabberUK is Feeling Fruity. So this lemon cake is winging its way in that direction.

I’m also sending this off to AlphaBakes as the letter is L for Lemon this month. This monthly challenge is hosted over at The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes.

Tags:

1. Heidi Roberts

13th January 2015 at 10:57 pm

What a great classic combination – lemon and chocolate!

14th January 2015 at 1:52 pm

And there was me thinking I was pushing the boundaries Heidi 😉

• Christian Halfmann

18th January 2015 at 7:33 pm

Looks fine for me, too. I wouldn’t mind a piece of that cake now … eh … I think I would like it now.

18th January 2015 at 9:08 pm

Ah thanks Chris – I seem to remember we enjoyed it at the time.

2. Jane Sarchet

14th January 2015 at 9:39 am

Looks great, what a lucky chap that CT is 😉
    Janie x
    PS that platter of desserts – YUM!

14th January 2015 at 1:53 pm

When it comes to cake, I think he’d probably agree Jane 🙂

3. belleau kitchen

14th January 2015 at 12:51 pm

love it… wish I could find an old post or two!… lemon and choc good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14th January 2015 at 1:55 pm

I’ve got loads Dom, but mostly in a very incomplete state. Also loads of photographs of stuff I meant to post and now it’s toto late as I’ve forgotten what I did.

4. cnhartman2

14th January 2015 at 12:58 pm

This cake sounds delicious! I’ve never thought to mix lemon and chocolate. I’ll definitely need to try this. Thanks!

14th January 2015 at 1:56 pm

Thank you. It’s not an obvious pairing, but nevertheless a good one.

5. Face Up Beauty

14th January 2015 at 3:50 pm

Oh dear, I’ve got such a sweet tooth and a massive weakness for cake, of most varieties it has to be said (though fruit is probably my least favourite). Chocolate and lemon – yes, bring it on! Tx

14th January 2015 at 5:00 pm

Never quite sure if having a sweet tooth is a curse or a gift :-S

6. Laura Pearson-Smith

14th January 2015 at 6:40 pm

I would never have thought of putting chocolate icing on lemon cake. Must give this a try 🙂
    Laura | A Life With Frills

15th January 2015 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Laura – it’s not an obvious pairing, but it’s a good one.

7. Phil in the Kitchen

14th January 2015 at 10:19 pm

Lemon and chocolate can be an excellent combination and this sounds lovely. Not long ago I had a dessert in a restaurant that overdid the lemon for me and I definitely prefer your more subtle approach. (I think I might have some old posts around somewhere – I must go looking.)

15th January 2015 at 1:26 pm

Yes I can see that Phil – getting the balance right is what it’s all about. Good luck with your old post search 🙂

8. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

15th January 2015 at 9:20 am

Chocolate and lemon – oh yes, oh yes, oh yes.

9. Angie Schneider

15th January 2015 at 1:25 pm

I too love the combo of chocolate and lemon. The cake must taste great!

15th January 2015 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Angie. Trouble is, it was so long ago, I can’t really remember any more. I’ll just have to make it again.

10. Dark Hot Chocolate K-Cups in Chicago

15th January 2015 at 3:05 pm

Ughghh, I haven’t eaten breakfast yet today and I found your blog… My stomach is singing the song of its people so loud in the office now!

15th January 2015 at 9:40 pm

Haha, love the thought of your stomach singing. Will remember that one 🙂

11. Nicola Fraser

16th January 2015 at 8:35 am

What a lowly cake and I’m glad the lemon wasn’t too over powering. I was kind of hoping to find out how lemon curd would have worked in the cake but oh well x

12. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

16th January 2015 at 9:43 pm

Funny how lemon & choc doesn’t automatically come to mind in cake form. It is so obvious when you think of all those amazing artisan lemon chocolates that you find. Yum!

17th January 2015 at 5:09 pm

Where are you finding all those amazing artisan lemon chocolates Kate???

• Kate Glutenfreealchemist

18th January 2015 at 5:09 pm

There seem to be quite a few ‘home-made’ independent chocolatiers locally who sell their wares at farmers markets, at food festivals and through farm shops. I have seen (and tasted) a few lemon infused bars and truffles there. At the bigger end, I know that Waitrose did some lovely dark chocolate and lemon truffles a couple of years back (although I haven’t seen them for some time). Typical…. your post has given me a bit of a hankering for them……

18th January 2015 at 9:09 pm

I expect you have a better class of farmer’s markets than we do – at least when it comes to chocolate. Will check Waitrose out next time I’m passing.

13. Baking Addict

18th January 2015 at 9:26 pm

It’s not a common combination but it’s a great one – lemon and chocolate. Now I want a slice too! Love the mirror lake.

19th January 2015 at 9:50 am

Thanks Ros. I can see I’m going to have to make this again so I can remind myself what it was all about 😉

14. Jibber JabberUK

28th January 2015 at 9:47 pm

I’m so glad you found this recipe. I love the combination of lemon and chocolate. I remember there used to be a lemon chocolate in a box of chocolates I liked but I can’t remember which one it was now!

31st January 2015 at 10:48 am

Thanks Ness. I feel I’m just going to have to make this one again. I had a lemon chocolate in the box of Charbonnel et Walker I recently reviewed on the blog, but CT got to eat it – he told me it was very good.