A splendid almond apple cake made with Cornish apples, ground almonds and flavoured with cider. The top, covered with flaked almonds and demerara sugar, has a satisfying crunch to it.
This time last week, I was enjoying wonderful views of Falmouth harbour from my bedroom window. The skies were blue, I was with good friends and the kitchen table sported an almond apple cider cake. What could be more perfect than that? Read on for the recipe.
My friend Andy is not only a fan of crumbles, but also of apple cakes. When he invited us down to spend a few days with him in a holiday cottage in Falmouth, I knew immediately what sort of cake to bake and take with us. I’ve made many an apple cake in my time but I wanted to make something a bit different.
Casting my mind back, I remembered this lemon and almond cake, which stands out as one of the best cakes I’ve made. I used this recipe as my inspiration and came up with this splendiferous almond apple cider cake. Autumn is the very best time to make such a cake. Apples are literally falling from the trees and cider is in full production.
Falmouth – One of Cornwall’s Gems
Falmouth was wonderful and we were very lucky with the weather. We wondered the cobbled streets, walked around the harbour and beaches and clambered up Jacob’s Ladder a number of times. On our first full day, we enjoyed a morning coffee and stroll around Hotel Meudon’s lovely gardens and beach. This was followed by lunch at The Potager, a fabulous vegetarian cafe a few miles out of Falmouth. We finished off the afternoon by visiting Glendurgan Gardens on the Helford river, where we managed to find our way both in and out of the maze, once again.
On our second day, we took a trip up the River Fal to Trelissick Gardens, another splendid National Trust garden in the area. I’d never taken a boat up the Fal before and I’m so glad I did last week. It’s just beautiful. We ate rather a lot too. It’s got to be done when you’re out and about. We were only in Falmouth three nights, but it felt like a real holiday.
Vegetarian and Vegan Eating in Falmouth
My friend Angela, who was also hosting us, is a fellow vegetarian. I knew Falmouth would not let us down when it came to eating out and indeed it had plenty to offer us. We found vegetarian cafes, vegan restaurants and good vegetarian options in a number of other eateries. Put it like this, we did not starve.
Oh! And there was a very nice almond apple cider cake too. It was much appreciated by all. Even Angela, who doesn’t eat cakes, had a slice and finished it. She declared it better than any cake found in a cafe. Given that she doesn’t eat cake, I’m not quite sure how she knows this, but I’m happy to take the compliment.
Other Apple Cake Recipes You Might Like
- Apple cake via Planet Veggie
- Dorset apple cake with chocolate caramel via Tin and Thyme
- Apple cardamom cake with quince frosting via Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Easy apple cake via Maison Cupcake
- Apple crumble & custard mini cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Honey apple cardamom mini bundt cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Apple Sharlotka cake via Little Sunny Kitchen
- Little apple cupcakes via Family Friends Food
- Apple hazelnut choc chip cake via Tin and Thyme
- Oaty apple traybake (vegan) via The Veg Space
- Apple rose white chocolate cake via Tin and Thyme
- Spiced toffee apple bonfire cakes via Tin and Thyme
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this almond apple cider cake, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate the recipe. Have you any top tips? Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like more large cake recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious, of course.
If you like my recipe for Almond Apple Cider Cake, why not pin it for later?
Almond Apple Cider Cake – The Recipe
Almond Apple Cider Cake
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 225 g golden caster sugar I use cardamom sugar
- 3 large eggs I use duck eggs
- 100 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 100 g white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75 g ground almonds I grind them as needed for freshness & texture
- 100 ml cider
- 3 medium sized cooking apples 400g – peeled, cored and diced
- 25 g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb.
- Add the apples and cider followed by the ground almonds and stir until just combined.
- Scrape into a 23 cm (8") round silicone cake mould or lined tin.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over the top, followed by the demerara sugar.
- Bake at 180℃ (160℃ fan, 350℉, Gas 4) for about 40 minutes or until the cake is well risen, golden on the top and an inserted cake skewer comes out mostly clean.
I’m sending my almond apple cider cake off to Casa Costello for Bake of the Week.
Pretty much everything except the sugar and the eggs in this cake is organic and the eggs are properly free range. It’s #OrganicSeptember after all.