Almond Apple Cider Cake
A splendid apple cake made with ground almonds and flavoured with cider. The top, covered with flaked almonds and demerara sugar has a satisfying crunch to it.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 12 slices
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 225 g golden caster sugar I use cardamom sugar
- 3 large eggs I use duck eggs
- 100 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 100 g white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75 g ground almonds I grind them as needed for freshness & texture
- 100 ml cider
- 3 medium sized cooking apples 400g - peeled, cored and diced
- 25 g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, one by one.
Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb.
Add the apples and cider followed by the ground almonds and stir until just combined.
Scrape into a 23 cm round silicone cake mould or lined tin.
Scatter the flaked almonds over the top, followed by the demerara sugar.
Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes or until the cake is well risen, golden on the top and an inserted cake skewer comes out mostly clean.