Chocolate Jam Doughnut Muffins and a Taste Test

Small Cakes | 8th October 2014 | By

When I saw the recipe and accompanying pictures for baked jam doughnut muffins over at Lavender and Lovage, I knew it was only a matter of time before I tried them myself. As ever, Karen’s photographs are beautiful, but it was the recipe itself that enticed me. I love doughnuts, but never buy them as they are, somehow the epitome of junk food. I’ve been wanting to try some of these baked doughnut style muffins for ages, but as soon as I come across a recipe, I lose it again. This time I bookmarked it.

Although my cupboards are overflowing with my own home made jams at the moment, I wanted to try these doughnut muffins with a very special jam I was recently sent by the queen of jams herself, Vivien Lloyd. Following on  from my blackberry chocolate jam, I was keen to see how the real thing compared, in this case a raspberry chocolate version. A taste testing was in order.

Raspberry Chocolate Jam

The first thing I noticed was the deep red colour, just a little darker than you’d expect a raspberry jam to be; it looked enticing. On opening the jar a zingy aroma leapt out – raspberries in their full fruity glory. The consistency was perfect, it stayed where it was put – not too runny, but not too firm either. It was the taste I was keen to try however. Getting the balance between fruit and chocolate is a tricky one; you want to taste both and not have one overwhelm the other. Raspberry was the first flavour to hit my tongue and it was glorious, but hot on its heels came the chocolate, adding depth and strength to an already delicious jam.

Mine was a very different sort of jam. I’d sieved the blackberries for a start as I find blackberry seeds rather more annoying than raspberry ones. Despite this, I think I will try them whole next time as it’s nice to get some texture. My jam has a soft sett, so was runnier than Vivien’s, but the real difference was in the flavour. The aroma wafting up from my jam was pure chocolate and that was the taste that first hit the palate. The blackberry came through very soon after, but the balance was the opposite to the raspberry jam. I was very pleased with my jam which is quite delicious, but it doesn’t have the subtlety I now see would be desirable. I’ve been lucky to learn from a master.

Jammy Doughnut Muffins

I found there was too much mixture for the suggested six muffins in Karen’s recipe and ended up making eight very large ones. I used only a fraction of the butter and sugar for coating at the end as neither CT nor I like our bakes to be overly sweet and I didn’t want them to be tooooooo unhealthy! As it tuned out, it was plenty.

This is how I made:

Chocolate Jam Doughnut Muffins

• Added 1 tbsp cider vinegar to 175 ml milk and left for a few minutes to turn into “buttermilk”.
  • Sifted 300g flour (half wholemeal, half white) into a bowl along with 2 level tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Stirred in 150g vanilla sugar (golden caster sugar infused with vanilla pods) and a pinch of salt.
  • Made a well in the centre and broke in a duck egg.
  • Stirred from the middle outwards, gradually adding 80 ml sunflower oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract and the buttermilk until everything was just mixed. It’s important not to over stir a muffin mixture as it may make the muffins heavy.
  • Filled 8 silicone muffin moulds to about ⅓ full. Nestled a large teaspoon of raspberry chocolate jam in the middle of each one, then topped with the remaining mixture.
  • Baked in the middle of the oven at 180℃ for nearly 25 minutes, when the muffins were well risen, firm and golden.
  • Allowed to cool for a few minutes, then turned out onto a wire rack.
  • Melted 25g unsalted butter in a little pan and weighed out 25g vanilla sugar (golden caster sugar infused with vanilla pods) into a small shallow dish.
  • Whilst still warm, lightly brushed the muffins with melted butter then rolled them in the sugar to lightly coat.

Jam Doughnut Muffins

Disappointingly the jam sank and looked nothing like Karen’s lush blob of jam in the middle of hers. However, I won’t let this put me off making them again as they were delicious warm and equally good cold. The butter and sugar coating gave a crusty texture to the outside which contrasted well with the soft and fluffy inside. As I suspected it would be, the jam was the star of the show and worked exceedingly well (apart from sinking). CT, the doughnut connoisseur, felt these were a good substitute for the cheap and cheerful version he snaffles when allowed out on his own.

Halloween face

I wasn’t quite sure, if the jammy smile was a cheeky chappy or a ghoulish face just right for Halloween – I’ll let you decide.

I am so glad I remembered to bookmark this recipe as it’s one well worth having. I’m sending it off to Bookmarked Recipes, normally found at Tinned Tomatoes, but this month it over at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter.

I’m also sending this over to Supergolden Bakes for Cook Blog Share.

1. Deena Kakaya

8th October 2014 at 9:21 am

What are you doing to me? This is an insanely tantalising post! I had never heard of this variety of muffin so thank you for introducing me to a gorgeously inviting and easy way to indulge x

8th October 2014 at 10:28 am

Thank you Deena, I do my best to tempt. These are very simple to take but I must say I don’t normally have any difficulty in finding easy ways to indulge 😉

8th October 2014 at 10:44 am

your jam experiments are really interesting – have never tried chocolate in jam but you have intrigued me – and those muffins sound delicious – makes me think that I might need to make some for e and sylvia who love cinnamon doughnuts

8th October 2014 at 10:58 am

This year was a first for me on the chocolate and jam front Johanna, but it’s a really nice combination, so I will persist. The muffins can be covered in cinnamon sugar instead of vanilla, so would be perfect for E and Sylvia.

3. Angie Schneider

8th October 2014 at 1:00 pm

I wish I could have one now, Choclette. They look yummilicious!

8th October 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Angie, but far too unhealthy for you I’m afraid 😉

4. Laura Huggins

8th October 2014 at 3:15 pm

Oh wow! These look divine!!!! They actually look better than normal doughnuts!!

Laura x x x

8th October 2014 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Laura, I think I’m inclined to agree with you 🙂

5. Emma Iannarilli

8th October 2014 at 3:16 pm

They look, and sound amazing, combining two of my favourite cakes.

#UKBloggers

http:..fashion-mommy.com

6. Madeleine Morrow

8th October 2014 at 3:54 pm

Every time I read your lovely recipes my cholesterol level jumps a few points! I like a really good doughnut but restrict myself to maybe one a year or so. Will keep the recipe for just such an occasion.

9th October 2014 at 9:29 am

You are so disciplined Madeleine – it isn’t easy I know!

7. GG

8th October 2014 at 4:30 pm

These doughnut muffins look divine, a manageable size but still full of flavour and I have to say I’m a sucker for the sugar! I bet the jam is amazing. GG

11th October 2014 at 7:33 am

Thanks GG, they are so worth making and the jam was really really good.

8. Laura Denman

8th October 2014 at 5:09 pm

These look absolutely delicious. I loved them the first time on Karen’s blog and yours look equally delicious =) I was going to make a chocolate version for last months We Should Cocoa until I got hooked on making my Tunnel of Jam Cake. You’ve made me want to try them all the more.

11th October 2014 at 7:35 am

Ooh now Laura, a chocolate version sounds splendid – think that might just be next on my list!

9. Catherine

8th October 2014 at 7:22 pm

The muffins look simply wonderful. ~ Catherine

10. belleau kitchen

8th October 2014 at 8:43 pm

Gawd they look just gorgeous. I saw these in Karens site and fancied a go myself. So yummy.

11. Katie

9th October 2014 at 5:54 am

Ohh they look lovely and so tall. Love the jammy smiles when cut. Your chocolate blackberry jam sounds delicious. I always find the seeds more annoying than raspberry too

11th October 2014 at 7:39 am

Thanks Katie. Glad you see a smile rather than a grimace – there have been some unkind comments in certain quarters! Glad you’re with me on the blackberry seed question 🙂

12. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

9th October 2014 at 8:26 am

I really love this idea. The only reason I am not running out to make them is because I would eat them all by myself .

11th October 2014 at 7:40 am

Really you wouldn’t Bintu, they are far too filling, but best made for a crowd, or frozen.

13. Janine

9th October 2014 at 9:40 pm

These look so tasty! I love the jammy smiley face.

14. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

10th October 2014 at 7:25 am

I go for ‘cheeky chappie’….. looks a bit of a snowman face to me! The muffins look tasty though and who cares that the jam sunk?

11th October 2014 at 7:42 am

Ah yes Kate, you’re right – snowman. Hmmm, Christmas doughnut muffins maybe? And you’re right too about the jam, it tasted just as good at the bottom as it would have done in the middle I reckon 🙂

15. supperinthesuburbs

10th October 2014 at 4:35 pm

Wow these look awesome! I’ve been searching for a reliable “duffin” recipe for a while – because they are obviously SOOO much healthier than a fried muffin 😉

11th October 2014 at 7:43 am

Ahhh duffins – I’d completely forgotten about that name. It was doing the round a year or so ago I think. Brilliant, thank you for the reminder Emma.

16. Debi Wayland

10th October 2014 at 10:21 pm

These look so good! That snowman face is adorable too! I’ve pinned these for later!

11th October 2014 at 7:44 am

Ah you see a snowman too Debi – I’m seeing him in a whole new light now.

17. Sarah Trivuncic

11th October 2014 at 6:04 pm

Oh my these look irresistible! I like the bloody smile!

12th October 2014 at 12:32 pm

Oh I see he’s gone from snowman back to Halloween with a vengeance Sarah!

18. Lucy Parissi

14th October 2014 at 8:51 am

I made some duffins myself some time ago – could not bring myself to dip them into melted butter but I have to admit they taste a whole lot better when you do! These look delicious and I am very intrigued by the raspberry chocolate jam. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

17th October 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks Lucy – I have now seen your duffins 🙂

I used only a small quantity of butter and sugar and got the best of both worlds.

19. Katie Bryson

17th October 2014 at 6:53 pm

Crikey these look totally amazing… I adore jam doughnuts, so to see them in muffin form is extremely tempting indeed. Thanks for hooking up with Bookmarked Recipes this month… i’ll definitely be bookmarking them myself!

20. Sticky toffee banana muffins by How to cook good food