Oaty Chocolate Chip Cookies – Random Recipes #36

Biscuits | 19th January 2014 | By

This month’s Random Recipes challenge is to make something from a recipe book received this Christmas. Well I didn’t receive any recipe books this year as such, but my aunt has been having a good clear out recently and happened to be staying with us over Christmas. In my stocking I found a Woman and Home magazine supplement from 1986 entitled Irresistible Ways with Chocolate – a real vintage publication and I was delighted with it. Interestingly many of the bakes that are in vogue now seem to have been revived from that era – cakes with meringue, different coloured layer cakes, marble cakes and differently flavoured Battenburgs; lots of fresh fruit and nut recipes too. The other interesting thing is that, by and large, the recipes have less sugar in them than many of our more modern ones do. The sweeter bake has slipped over from the US I suspect.

As there were so many recipes on one page it was a bit difficult to be completely random, but I ended up with a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies. These were made with rolled oats and I do like a good oaty biscuit. They are also simple and quick to make which is an added bonus after so much Christmas baking.

This is how I made:

Oaty Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Chopped 170g mixed chocolate (mostly dark) into bits.
  • Creamed 110g unsalted butter with 85g dark brown sugar until very pale.
  • Beat in a medium sized egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Added 60g wholemeal flour, 110g rolled oats, scant teaspoon of baking powder.
  • Stirred together with the chocolate until all combined.
  • Placed teaspoonfuls onto lined baking trays placing them well apart. I made 27.
  • Baked at 180C for 11 minutes until golden then placed on a wire rack to cool.

These were not only simple to make, but thoroughly delicious – chewy and very chocolatey. They lasted well in an air tight tin for a few days, but could also be frozen and taken out individually as needed.

Random Recipes is a funtastic blogging event from Dom of Belleau Kitchen which can be very challenging at times. I particularly like it as you never quite know what you are going to get and it stops my recipe books gathering dust on the shelves.

For this bake, I rounded up all my odds and ends of chocolate which had been sitting in the cupboard looking untidy and taking up space. These included some blackberry flavoured dark chocolate, some 56% and some 70% dark chocolate. Other than the chocolate, these are cheap and cheerful biscuits to make so I am sending them off to Credit Crunch Munch with Camilla of Fab Food 4 All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.

Tags:

1. Katie

19th January 2014 at 12:05 pm

These look delicious. I love anything oaty and the chunks of chocolate would be delicious to bite into

2. belleau kitchen

19th January 2014 at 12:40 pm

I would just love to have a thumb through that magazine… 1980’s adverts are so brilliantly telling of the era… These cookies look gorgeous and you’re so right, there’s something wonderfully contemporary about them isn’t there? Great random recipes entry, thank you so much… oh and I can’t wait for next month!

3. Kate@whatkatebaked

19th January 2014 at 4:24 pm

What a thoughtful present to receive Choclette! I love hearing where people have gained inspiration for their recipes from. And really interesting to hear that recipes thirty years ago had far less sugar.

4. The Caked Crusader

19th January 2014 at 4:41 pm

Oats and chocolate together? This is an overload of deliciousness!

5. Sylvia F.

19th January 2014 at 8:15 pm

I’m always up for a good cookies 🙂 I wish I wasn’t that lazy today I would probably have them in the oven by now! x

6. fiona maclean

19th January 2014 at 8:58 pm

These look quite delicious! I might even try making some (I like home made biscuits!_

7. Deena Kakaya

19th January 2014 at 11:33 pm

Oats and choc, I’m won over! I like that they aren’t so, so dark x

8. Jacqueline Meldrum

19th January 2014 at 11:41 pm

I love oaty biscuits too and these look fab!!!

9. Alida

20th January 2014 at 9:33 am

I agree with you that these days’ cakes and biscuits have far too much sugar. I stopped buying cakes and biscuits from supermarkets as they are just so sickly and often inedible, too much sugar doesn’t mean better flavour! It is the same as having straight sugar. No taste just sugar!
    I find that Italian cakes in Italian supermarkets and bakeries are slightly less sugary.
    These choc chip cookies look heaven. A perfect pick me up for Monday morning!

10. Sarah Trivuncic

20th January 2014 at 11:50 am

I love it when you can scoop up a load of ingredients and use them up in one thing! And the oats can be quite virtuous!!

11. Karen S Booth

20th January 2014 at 1:43 pm

Oats in any recipe has my total seal of approval and these biscuits look VERY tasty too! I also always cut back on the sugar in most recipes, I simply do not have a sweet tooth……

12. Phil in the Kitchen

20th January 2014 at 2:55 pm

That’s a fine cookie. I still have quite a few recipes from the eighties lying around the place and they often seem very up to date when I look at them. I’d not noticed the reduced use of sugar, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

13. Angie Schneider

20th January 2014 at 3:13 pm

I adore oat cookies. These look beautiful and delicious.

14. Tina Anand

20th January 2014 at 5:24 pm

I’m a fan of these cookies. You just can’t go wrong with oats and chocolate.

15. Jane Sarchet

20th January 2014 at 6:06 pm

I too love oaty cookies, and these ones look proper yummy!
    Janie x

16. Dannii@hungryhealthyhappy.com

21st January 2014 at 11:49 am

I really like the texture that oats give a cookie.

17. Lou, Eat Your Veg

21st January 2014 at 9:37 pm

Mmmm, would really fancy one or two of these right now! Interesting that recipes from that era weren’t so sugar laden. I’m reckoning that these might be a wonderful little bake for my own little monsters (and me too obviously!), loving their oat and wholemeal goodness.

18. rah louise

22nd January 2014 at 12:18 am

OOH. This looks so tempting. As cookies go, they look the healthier option i.e the oats. At least some goodness in them, and no doubt scrummy too! Definetely on my list to try out. x

19. Gloria Baker

22nd January 2014 at 3:43 pm

these look amazing love these cookies!!

20. ManjiriK - sliceoffme

30th January 2014 at 1:59 am

These so so good, I might allow myself this because of the oats!

21. Camilla@FabFood4All

10th February 2014 at 12:31 pm

Ooh, faboulous cookies – thanks for entering Credit Crunch Munch:-)

22. prwilson