This month Dashing Dom has joined forces with Krazy Kavey in a chilling combination of Random Recipes and Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream. Now that Autumn has descended on us rather earlier than expected, ice-cream is no longer top of my list of desired desserts. However, ice-cream and frozen desserts are what we’ve been tasked to make, so I gritted my teeth and went to interrogate Eat Your Books. This is my preferred method of selecting my books for these Random Recipe occasions.
This time I limited the search to my chocolate books, which I was somewhat surprised to see has reached the grand total of seventeen. Ultimate: the Green and Black’s New Collection was the book randomly selected. I haven’t looked at this tome in such a long time that I was pleased to renew my acquaintance.
It turns out it contains quite a few ice-cream recipes as well as a recipe for chocolate parfait – a frozen dessert which I’ve never made before. I decided to make half the quantity as I didn’t have much space in the freezer; this meant I needed about 60g of dark chocolate.
Now it just so happens that I had 70g of dark lavender chocolate lying about; I’d found this too strong and soapy to eat on its own, so it was awaiting just such an occasion as this. Lavender chocolate works wonderfully well when incorporated into other recipes, I reckon. The parfait recipe included coffee, but as I was adding lavender, I omitted this.
Chocolate Lavender Parfait
To be honest I’m not terribly sure what the difference between a parfait and ice-cream is technically, but it’s a very good way of making a no-churn frozen dessert.
The parfait is velvety smooth and not a shard of ice crystal to be detected. It’s very rich and truly decadent, but the soupçon of lavender keeps it tasting fresh and prevents it from cloying on the palate as some creamy confections can do. The cognac gives a welcome hint of sophistication and brings out the other flavours.
This is a perfect use for lavender chocolate and a brilliant make ahead dessert I can now knock up for future dinner parties.
Chocolate Lavender Parfait – The Recipe
- Whip 150g double cream to soft peaks, either with an electric whisk or by hand if you’re feeling strong.
- Separate two large eggs, putting the yolks into a bowl and the whites into the fridge for some future use.
- Warm 75 ml water in a small pan and dissolve 60g golden caster sugar in it.
- Notch up the heat and boil the syrup for 2 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Add 70g chopped dark lavender chocolate (72%) and leave to melt.
- Beat the egg yolks with a wooden spoon or hand held beaters, then slowly pour in the chocolate syrup beating all the while. Carry on beating until the mixture is almost cool.
- Beat in 1 dessertspoon of cognac, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Divide the mixture between four ramekin dishes and place in the freezer.
This chocolate parfait is being entered into random ice cream – the joint Random Recipes and Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream event hosted over at Belleau Kitchen and Kavey Eats.
A healthy dose of cognac makes this dessert crazy enough for me, so I am entering it into Baking with Spirit over at Cake of the Week where Janine has asked us to all go crazy.
I’m also sending this off to Lucy’s #CookBlogShare over at Supergolden Bakes.