Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook at Last

The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook

Book Reviews | 14th February 2013 | By

Today, the 14th February, a number of things coincide: Chocolate Log Blog is four, The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook, featuring one of my recipes, is published and I’m off to attend my 5th CCC meeting, which just happens to be at Waterstones in Truro. This 4th blog anniversary feels like the perfect time to post about CCC.

I’m sure most of you will have heard of the phenomenon that is Clandestine Cake Club (CCC) by now. If not, it’s a gathering of cake bakers and lovers who meet, usually on a monthly basis at a secret venue, to eat and talk cake. Initiated by Lynn Hill back in 2010, it has now gone global. Lynn has been working very hard over the last year or so to write a book highlighting some of the best cakes that have been made by herself and other CCC members.

The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook

As any good Clandestine Cake Club member will know, cakes are the only thing on the menu, no brownies, cupcakes or muffins allowed, just full on proper sized cakes. Thus the book’s 120 recipes are all for cake and what a wondrous collection they are: classic cakes, Victorian cakes, fruity cakes, global cakes, zesty cakes, chocolatey cakes, celebration cakes and creative cakes. In it you will find a cake for any occasion from the full on Toffee Shock Cake with it’s four layers of different flavoured batter, fudge icing and caramel to the more homely and old fashioned Caraway Seed Cake. This hardback book is well laid out and importantly stays open at the chosen recipe. Pictures abound, virtually every cake is accompanied by a photograph.

Recipe In Print

I submitted two entries. My Chocrhutea didn’t make it, but happily the other one did. I very much hope the book will be a rip roaring success, it certainly deserves to be.

Passionfruit Curd Cake - featured in The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook.

Due to work commitments, I’m unable to attend the Cornwall CCC as often as I’d like. Luckily, I do manage to make the odd appearance. My very first time was back in May last year where I made a Passionfruit Curd Sponge Cake for a fruit themed event held at Baker Tom’s new bakery in Pool near Camborne. This has become my second recipe to be published in a print book (though I do have a few floating around in various e-books) and I’m absolutely thrilled.

Other Cornwall CCC Cakes

My second event had a Fairy Tale theme. The venue was the cafe down in the woods at Cardinham, which had a slightly other-worldly feel about it. There were many fabulous creations, I went for the simple approach: a Fairy Godmother cake with basic wand decoration. More accurately, it could be described as a dense chocolate and rose cake.

Fairy Godmother Cake - a dense chocolate and rose cake for CCC.

My third outing took place in a tiny new cafe, Grounded, which had just opened in Truro. I made a Hazelnut and Orange Torte for this one where I experimented with my new cappuccino stencils. The theme was Italian tortes.

Hazelnut & Orange Chocolate Torte

Ellie Michell is our hard working organiser. She has come up with some fantastic venues and themes. I only wish I could manage to get to more of them. In celebration of Cornwall CCC’s first anniversary, Ellie chose a birthday party theme down at the Watergate Bay Hotel near Newquay. For this one, I made a Cornish sea salted caramel chocolate cake.

Cornish sea salted caramel chocolate cake.

Chocolate Log Blog is Four

So, thank you to all you lovely visitors to Chocolate Log Blog. I doubt I would have had the heart to carry on this long without you. I’d especially like to thank those that take the time to comment on my posts. It’s this interaction which makes it so worthwhile. Whilst I’m at it, I’d also like to thank all those that have contributed to We Should Cocoa, either as a host or entrant. Once again, it is your contributions that make the whole business so much fun. I’d never have dreamt of half of the things you all come up with. You are an inspiration.

1. manu

14th February 2013 at 10:37 am

Mhhhh how may yummy cakes…
    Have a nice day

14th February 2013 at 8:15 pm

Thank you Manu, I had a lovely day and got to eat lots more yummy cake 🙂

2. Kim Carberry

14th February 2013 at 11:28 am

Happy birthday to Chocolate Log Blog & congrats about your recipe been published!!
    Lovely cakes x

14th February 2013 at 8:16 pm

Thank you Kim, I am thrilled about the recipe.

3. Christian Halfmann

14th February 2013 at 1:34 pm

Congratulations to both of it … or to all of it rather: your recipe in the book, your 4th blog anniversary and so many delicious cakes. Did I forget anything? If, then it shall be!

14th February 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Chris – all congratulations much appreciated 🙂

4. Janice Pattie

14th February 2013 at 7:25 pm

Well done on four years, I always forget my blog anniversary, but I know the ‘tinternet’ and blogsphere would be the poorer if we didn’t have Chocolate Log Blog and We should Cocoa. X

14th February 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thank you Janice, that’s a lovely thing to say 😀

5. Fiona Maclean

14th February 2013 at 8:06 pm

HAPPY birthday choclette! I’m hoping and expecting that you are eating plenty of really good choccie today!

14th February 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Fiona. I’ve not eaten any good chocolate as such, but I have eaten quite a bit of chocolate cake. Out of the seven cakes at today’s CCC, four of them were chocolate.

6. Kate@whatkatebaked

14th February 2013 at 8:20 pm

Many many happy returns- four years blogging is a big big achievement and here’s the the next four! xx

15th February 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks Kate – way to scary looking ahead to four years, but I haven’t run out of chocolate recipes yet 😉

7. Jen @ Blue Kitchen Bakes

14th February 2013 at 9:55 pm

Happy blog birthday! Well done on 4 years, seems like February was a good time to start a blog as I’ve just celebrated my first year 🙂 Looking forward to seeing many more chocolatey posts from you

15th February 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Jen – yay for February, the creative month 🙂

8. Victoria Lee

14th February 2013 at 10:34 pm

Happy 4th Blog Birthday! What a fantastic milestone! My blog is just 6 months old – any tips for a newbie (and new follower!) 😉
    The Pantry Door

15th February 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Victoria thanks for the good wishes and for following. Good luck with your blog. The main thing I’d say is do what you want to do, it’s your blog and should be your voice. And be generous, comment on other blogs and add links from other blogs to your posts – what goes around comes around.

9. Phil in the Kitchen

14th February 2013 at 11:26 pm

Happy blog anniversary and I hope that the next four years are even better than the first four.

15th February 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you Phil, that’s a very generous hope 😀

10. Angela Darroch

15th February 2013 at 1:01 am

You have achieved so much with your lovely blog in just 4 years. Onwards and upwards.

15th February 2013 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Angela, I’m starting to feel as though I should hae some goals :-/

11. Kath

15th February 2013 at 9:47 am

Happy birthday wonderful Chocolate Log Blog. I like very much that you have had two recipes published, I am sure there will be lots more in the future and maybe a whole book? You have inspired me many times with your creative baking and use of different and unusual ingredients. I love reading every new post. Looking forward to commenting on the fifth birthday. xx

15th February 2013 at 12:26 pm

happy anniversary – am interested to hear the CCC has gone global – wish there was one in my neck of the woods! Congratulations on getting a recipe in the CCC book – sounds like a great book, and it is a sign of what a great phenomenon the CCC is

13. thelittleloaf

15th February 2013 at 1:26 pm

Happy happy blog birthday! Absolutely love your recipes and open, honest writing – here’s to the next four years 🙂

14. underthebluegumtree

15th February 2013 at 3:54 pm

Happy Blog Birthday! I’m not surprise your passionfruit cake recipe was published. It looks beautiful. Congratulations 🙂

15. Rachel

15th February 2013 at 4:17 pm

Happy blog birthday – it’s been fun to read and inspirational too! I too am enjoying Clandestine Cake Club and have met some lovely new friends – I can’t wait to get a copy of the book. Well done on having a recipe published in there! 🙂

16. Angie's Recipes

15th February 2013 at 7:35 pm

A huge Congratulations on the blog 4th birthday and the published recipe!

17. Miss C Flash

15th February 2013 at 8:02 pm

Happy blog birthday. I love you fairy tale cake 🙂 x

18. Jacqueline Meldrum

16th February 2013 at 12:26 am

It’s a fabulous book and so good to see so many friends in it. I almost regret not submitting a recipe now. I am going to have a go with one of the recipes from it this weekend. Love your CCC cakes.

19. Katie

16th February 2013 at 7:20 am

Congratulations on your 4th blog anniversary and on being published in a cookbook! Amazing, but then so are your chocolate creations!

20. Karen S Booth

16th February 2013 at 5:59 pm

HAPPY 4th BLOG Birthday and CANNOT wait to see the book, it has been sent to me in France and I am looking forward to seeing all the lovely cakes and familiar names too! Karen

21. Katharine

16th February 2013 at 6:19 pm

What great achievements – 4th blog anniversary and published! Congratulations!

22. belleau kitchen

17th February 2013 at 10:26 am

oh my friggin gawd I can’t believe I nearly missed this post!… Happy Blogger Anniversary…what an amazing achievement… your blog has been and continues to be one of my all time favourites and I hope you (and we) enjoy another glorious 4 years of choclatey heaven!… lovely cakes too x

23. The Caked Crusader

17th February 2013 at 4:50 pm

Happy blogisversary and congrats re CCC!

24. Caroline

17th February 2013 at 6:23 pm

Wow, congratulations on both counts – your blog anniversary and having a recipe accepted! I really, really want to buy this book now (but can’t quite justify it….!)

25. laura@howtocookgoodfood

18th February 2013 at 8:01 pm

So sorry to be late in wishing you a very Happy 4th blog birthday! And I have a copy of the CCC book with your fantastic cake in it. You have a brilliant blog and I love the way you have so many readers who leave lovely comments and this is down to your creative use of chocolate and recipes that work but they are also innovative and interesting. I know I will be here reading about many more blog birthdays :))

26. Dee Johnson

21st February 2013 at 2:19 pm

Wow, your cakes look totally mouthwatering and soooo tasty. Not great at baking but i put that down to not good recipes lol

27. Janine

27th February 2013 at 12:48 pm

Four years of blogging is quite a feat! Congratulations and happy (belated) blogiversary.

28. Nic

7th March 2013 at 4:14 pm

How cool to be in the book, and such a great recipe.
    Happy blog birthday!

29. Maya Russell

8th November 2013 at 9:21 am

Well done for being in a book. Lovely cakes.

30. Judith Luscombe

28th July 2014 at 4:49 pm

A very interesting book with some amazing recipes.