Ginger and Lime Curd – Smooth Zingy and Zesty

Two jars of lime and ginger curd.

Preserves | 10th May 2011 | By

Smooth and rich with plenty of zing and zest and just a hint of ginger. Once you’ve made it, this ginger and lime curd may just become your go to fruit curd. Spread it on bread, pile it onto scones or fill your cakes with it.

I know this ginger and lime curd isn’t strictly about chocolate. Actually it’s not about chocolate at all. But it did come about because of our We Should Cocoa chocolate challenge and it will be featuring in a couple of chocolate recipes to come. The lime challenge gave me so many ideas and as usual with these things, my list of recipes to make has grown even longer.

Phil from As Strong As Soup made lime curd as part of his entry and Chele over at Chocolate Teapot has also recently made it. I so liked the idea of making lime curd that I was determined to do so and worry about what to do with it afterwards. In the end I adapted a recipe for Lime and Ginger Curd that I found in one of the books I’d borrowed from the library, Seasonal Preserves by Joanna Farrow.

Ginger and Lime Curd

The first time I made this ginger and lime curd, I grated the lime zest into a food processor and blended it with the sugar. The theory behind this is it will make the sugar green and give some colour to the final curd. It did make the sugar a lovely pastel green, but as you can see from the pictures did not make much of a difference to the curd. It’s an unnecessary step which I haven’t bothered repeating.

So the main effort in this recipe is in the stirring. Everything goes into one bowl and you just need to keep stirring until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. In other words it needs to resemble custard.

Once the curd is thick enough, pour it into sterilised glass jars. Cover with a wax discs, then screw on the lids. There is some debate as to whether wax discs are effective or not. But I’ve been making preserves for many years and I find jams and curds keep better if they’re covered with a wax disc. But I leave it to you to decide.

Leave to cool then store in the fridge. Unopened jars will keep for at least two weeks, but opened jars should be consumed within 3-4  days.

The colour might lead one to think this was lemon curd rather than lime. But I was thrilled with the gorgeous yellow that I can only assume comes from the duck eggs. As for the taste, it’s as delicious as I’d hoped: smooth, rich, very limey and with just a hint of ginger. I’ve made it several times since.

How to Eat Your Ginger and Lime Curd

One of the best ways to eat ginger and lime curd is simple spread on bread or toast, with or without butter. There are, however, any number of other delicious ways you can use it.

Other Fruit Curd Recipes You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this ginger and lime curd, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Ginger and Lime Curd. PIN IT.

Two jars of ginger and lime curd.

Ginger and Lime Curd – The Recipe

Two jars of lime and ginger curd.
Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Ginger and Lime Curd

Smooth and rich with plenty of zing and zest and just a hint of ginger. Spread it on bread, pile it onto scones or fill your cakes with it.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Dips, Spreads & Sauces
Cuisine: British
Keyword: filling, fruit curd, ginger, lime, spread
Servings: 20 tbsp
Calories: 89kcal

• 150 g golden granulated sugar
  • 3 limes - preferably organic or unwaxed. Otherwise scrub them well in soapy water before using.
  • 150 g golden granulated sugar
  • 25 g fresh ginger - grated (I wash but don't peel)
  • 50 g unsalted butter
  • 3 medium eggs (I used 2 duck eggs in the recipe shown here)

• Put the sugar in a large bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water. Grate in the lime zest then squeeze in the juice. Stir until the sugar had dissolved.
  • Add the ginger and butter and leave until the butter had melted.
  • Whisked in the eggs then stir the mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This can take quite a long time - anything from 15 to 25 minutes. You don't have to stir constantly, but don't leave it too long in between stirs as you don't want to make scrambled eggs. The curd will thicken further as it cools.
  • Pour the curd through a sieve, pressing the contents through with a spoon to remove any lumps and bits of grated ginger.
  • Pour into 2 x 150ml sterilised glass jars. Cover with wax discs, then screw on the lids whilst the contents are still hot. Leave to cool then store in the fridge.

Notes

Unopened jars will keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge, but opened jars should be consumed within 3-4  days.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 103IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg

Sharing

I’m sharing this recipe for ginger and lime curd with A Strong Coffee for #CookBlogShare.

1. katesbakesandcakes

10th May 2011 at 7:42 am

Funny enough I just attempted lemon cuts for the first time at the weekend, I was really pleased with it and practically licked the bowl clean before realising I needed some for a cake! oops! But I was looking for a lime cues recipe last night, keen to explore more cords so thank you very much for the inspiration!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella

10th May 2011 at 7:56 am

This sounds like a delicious flavour combination and piquant enough to lift the creamy, sweet curd too! 🙂

3. Kath

10th May 2011 at 8:44 am

I keep meaning to make it too, yours sounds delicious with the added ginger.

4. manu

10th May 2011 at 9:06 am

This sound so yummy and freah!!! LOL

5. Suman Singh

10th May 2011 at 10:52 am

I can imagine the flavor of lemon and ginger in yogurt..simply delicious and great recipe!

6. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

10th May 2011 at 11:31 am

but you didn’t dye it bright green like mine?… still, love the yellow!… can’t wait to see what you do with this… i’m assuming it’ll be some kind of lime roulade… oh god I cant wait!!

7. Grazing Kate

10th May 2011 at 12:21 pm

looks amazing – great idea. I’ll try that as a variation on one of my meringue and ‘lemon’ curd cooking days this summer. Lime and ginger are a fab combo – e.g. Thai cooking and also in drinks – a Itchy Feet cafe in Bath used to do a homemade lime and ginger soda that was v refreshing that I could never replicate at home!

BTW: Have you tried Montezuma’s Sea Dog Chocolate? – it’s plain chocolate with lime and sea salt. I love it, the the other 3 members of my family can’t stand it – it’s therefore perfect!

8. Chocolate Here

10th May 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yom! Bet that would go well with chocolate 😉

9. Gloria

10th May 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love this type of recipes, I love lemon curd, so this lima curd with ginger sound delicious!

10th May 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oooooooooooooh – loving the idea of adding ginger! Will need to make another batch to give this a try ;0)

11. Baking Addict

10th May 2011 at 4:19 pm

What a lovely colour. I think it’s time I made my own curd.
    PS totally vouch for Montezuma’s sea dog. I used it for the lime challenge – really delicious!

10th May 2011 at 4:51 pm

Kate – this was my first attempt at lime curd and still haven’t made lemon. But I have made rhubarb curd in the past and that was really good.

Lorraine – sweet and sour can work really well.

Kath – next time, I think I’d add more ginger. It’s a lovely flavour combination.

Manu – thank you, just wish I’d made more now 😉

Suman – lime and ginger are a classic and the curd went particularly well with mascarpone.

Dom – very forgiving of you. Don’t hang out for my curd / roulade creation – it was a complete disaster Well perhaps not complete, it tasted great.

Grazing Kate – lime and ginger soda sounds good. Weirdly, I scoffed a whole bar of Sea Dog today (no CT around to share it with). It was delicious.

Gillian – you know what? It does 😉

Gloria – ooh, what type of curds have you made?

Baking Addict – it’s worth the effort, home made is so very much nicer than bought. As mentioned above, I ate my way through a whole bar of Sea Dog today. I was working from home and needed it – that’s my excuse.

13. Ananda Rajashekar

10th May 2011 at 6:43 pm

I’m love with yellow colour this season, lime and ginger is a great combo…gorgeous ones!

14. The KitchenMaid

10th May 2011 at 6:58 pm

Looks amazing – as do all your recent posts. I’m still in awe of those goose eggs!

15. C

10th May 2011 at 8:52 pm

It looks gorgeous – fabulous colour! Must get round to making my own curd one of these days!

16. Phil in the Kitchen

10th May 2011 at 9:57 pm

Ginger is an interesting addition – I’ve not tried that. Love the colour, too. I must make some more curd as soon as I feel a bit less fat.

17. hopeeternalcookbook

10th May 2011 at 11:16 pm

Oh yum, I can see my husband liking this! I must have a go at making some soon. I’m putting it on my list of curds (as well as citrus ones I have posted about Blackberry, Banoffee and am just about to add Mango). I like the sound of your Rhubarb too – is there a recipe anywhere?
    hopeeternal
    ‘Meanderings through my Cookbook’

18. hopeeternalcookbook

10th May 2011 at 11:16 pm

hopeeternal
    ‘Meanderings through my Cookbook’

19. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)

11th May 2011 at 12:43 am

I love citrus curds but really haven’t experimented with them much as my recipe bank is lacking. So, thanks for this recipe!

20. Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes

11th May 2011 at 3:40 am

What a decadent curd! How do you think you’ll use it?

Have a wonderful week!

11th May 2011 at 6:18 am

Chele – welll I think of you as the Queen of curds, so would be expecting to see another batch appearing on your blog sometime soon 😉

Ananda – thank you. It’s the colour that pleased me most, although it does taste very good too.

Kitchenmaid – thank you. Some more good recipes to come – very behind with posts and I’ve used goose eggs again.

C – thank you. Warning – home made curd is so much nicer than bought, it’s hard to go back once you’ve started.

Phil – it’s very hard to be modest with all these lovely things to tempt one on folk’s blogs. I’m not very good at it.

Hopeeternal – I’m guessing I used a recipe, but can’t for the life of me think where I got it from. I’ve had a trawl around likely suspects on my book shelves, but haven’t found it. It’s possible I used another curd recipe and just substituted rhubarb. I last made it a few years ago.

Brittany – let me know if you make it and what you think.

Ocean Breezes – it’s all gone now. I’ll be posting about how I used it in the next week or so. I managed three recipes and had some of it on toast and very nice it was too.

22. Maria♥

11th May 2011 at 12:22 pm

That curd sounds and looks lush!

Maria
    x

23. Maggie

11th May 2011 at 1:01 pm

I like the idea of lime and ginger curd too! It is an incredible colour too.

24. Three-Cookies

11th May 2011 at 5:57 pm

New to your blog, I like the recipes and the title with specific mention of chocolate:)

25. Jacqueline

11th May 2011 at 8:39 pm

How wonderful Choclette! I do love curd. Mangocheeks just made a lovely Banoffee Cur, so I don’t know which to make first! Oh and where did you get those lovely jars?

11th May 2011 at 8:39 pm

Maria – thank you.

Maggie – thank you, I so like the colour, quite glad it wasn’t green after all.

Three Cookies – thanks for visiting. Chocolate by name, chocolate by nature 😉

11th May 2011 at 8:42 pm

Jac – you posted your comment at the very same time as me 🙂 A hard decision to make. Shall have to check out the Banoffee curd. as for the jars, they are jam jars or chutney jars or something I’ve collected at some point and the lids are marmite pot lids.

28. Bridgett ~ La Bella Cook

11th May 2011 at 11:00 pm

Oh goodness, I may just put this on anything. The color is fabulous as well….very appealing flavors.

29. Hannah

12th May 2011 at 4:13 am

This would be perfect on my beloved morning oatmeal! That is, if I could bring myself to give up the huge spoon of nut butter… 😛

30. LF

12th May 2011 at 8:08 am

The curd looks gorgeous! Citrus curd is one of those things I’ve never made, but I’ve got my eye on a tart that requires lemon curd that I was planning to make this weekend, so perhaps I should give it a go and make my own?!

12th May 2011 at 6:38 pm

Bridgett – I can vouch for it being good on toast and good on scones as well as cake of course.

Hannah – now what a nice thought. Wouldn’t have thought of using it for that. Wouldn’t have thought about using nut butter either. Both sound good.

LF – do have a go, it isn’t hard. I made a tart with some of mine and it was delicious.

32. celia

14th May 2011 at 9:21 am

It looks very pretty, Choc! I’ve made lime curd from duck eggs, and I think the golden colour is from the yolks – it was super rich too!

33. Foodycat

15th May 2011 at 10:19 am

That looks absolutely gorgeous! The colour is amazing, and I love the idea of adding ginger.

34. torwen

19th May 2011 at 11:37 pm

That’s a wonderful recipe! I love the addition of ginger 🙂
    However, I doubt I can get duck eggs here *hehe*

35. Jill Colonna

25th May 2011 at 6:45 pm

I LOVE it. Lime and ginger? Heaven.

25th May 2011 at 8:16 pm

Foodycat – thank you. The ginger is definitely a welcome addition.

Torwen – thank you. Don’t worry about the duck eggs, it’s well worth making anyway.

Jill Colonna – Heaven indeed.

25th May 2011 at 8:17 pm

Celia – thank you. As you know I’m rather fond of sunny bright colours. Am sure your hens eggs give an excellent result too.

38. Nic@daydreamaboutfood

28th May 2011 at 8:26 pm

Love this recipe – definitely making it! I’ve successfully made lemon curd before so fingers crossed this should come out ok:)

39. Michelle Rolfe

26th May 2020 at 11:09 am

This sounds so yummy! I love ginger and the kick that comes with it. Not to mention the heath side of it, and with lime I can see this is something I would love. Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare. Michelle x

26th May 2020 at 2:29 pm

We go through quite a lot of ginger. We both love it. It’s not the most obvious thing to use in a fruit curd, but it works really well in this lime curd.