Chocolate & Lime Cheesecake Surprise
Party going family members en route from Gloucestershire to Falmouth, thoughtfully stopped by for lunch at the weekend. Time to revive an old favourite which used to be appear at Christmas, but I hadn’t actually made for years.
Scouring my memory for the recipe proved more difficult than I’d expected – quantities were the problem rather than ingredients. The beauty of this recipe is that you can play around with both quantities and ingredients to suit evolving tastes. It originally came from one of my aunts and used hazelnut yogurt. I used plain yogurt and bits of roasted hazelnuts for ages but, it has been undergoing a slow metamorphosis over the years. Sometimes I use plain chocolate, sometimes milk. I’ve also incorporated the chocolate directly into the cheesecake mixture rather than having it as a separate layer. This latest incarnation replaces the original hazelnuts with lime. This is what I did:
- Placed 8oz digestive biscuits into a bowl and bashed them with the end of a rolling pin until they were crumb like.
- Melted 4oz unsalted butter and mixed into the biscuit crumbs.
- Poured this into a round 20cm ” flan dish and moulded it to fit the bottom and sides (as you would with pastry).
- Melted nearly all of two 100g bars milk chocolate (as it’s fairtrade fortnight, I used Divine for a change), keeping a few squares back for decoration.
- Poured this on top of biscuit base and spread out as much as possible. Left to set.
- Mixed 3oz cream cheese with 1/2 oz granulated sugar (more sugar could easily be used here, but I didn’t want anything too sweet as I was using milk chocolate).
- Whipped 250 ml double cream until soft peaks formed.
- Mixed in 250 ml plain yogurt.
- Stirred this into cheese until well incorporated.
- Grated the zest of 1 lime and added 3/4 of this to the cheese mixture.
- Spooned mixture onto the set chocolate layer and smoothed out.
- Grated the reserved chocolate on top and scattered the remaining lime zest over the surface.
- Chocolate Quark Cheesecake - Easy No Bake Recipe - […] Chocolate & Lime Cheesecake (Tin & Thyme) […]