Chocolate Key Lime Pie

Dessert | 28th February 2013 | By

With so many limes in need of using up, a key lime pie was definitely going to be on the menu. As a key lime pie newbie it was just a question of whose recipe I was going to use. New to key lime pie? Yes, really. I don’t know how I’ve managed it, but in all my years of cooking I have not only never made one, but I’ve never eaten one either. There was a recipe in my new book Scandilicious Baking by Signe Johansen which I was keen to try; there was a fabulous sounding one in Tea with Bea using 13 limes; I had a cheesecake version from Eric Lanlard in Home Bake and two versions from Nigella in How to Be a Domestic Goddess. Not one of them had a chocolate version – well really! With all my limes, it would have been a good opportunity to make Bea’s version, but in the end the Forever Nigella challenge won me over and it was one of Nigella’s recipes I adapted.

This is how I made:

Chocolate Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Key Lime Tarts

• Melted 50g unsalted butter and 100g 70% dark chocolate (Green & Blacks) in a small pan over low heat.
  • Whizzed 300g digestive biscuits in the food processor until they were fine crumbs.
  • Added the chocolate mixture and whizzed some more until all incorporated.
  • Pressed the mixture into the bottom of a 22 cm ” flan mould and into four 9 cm tartlet cases.
  • Left in my cold kitchen to set for an hour or so.
  • Whisked 300 ml double cream with electric beaters until thickened.
  • Grated in the zest of 4 well scrubbed limes and beat a bit more.
  • Added a 397 ml tin of condensed milk and beat a little more.
  • Added the juice of the 4 limes and beat for about a minute until the mixture was thick and formed firm peaks.
  • Spooned onto the biscuit base and decorated with strips of lime zest and dark chocolate shavings.

Ooh my, was this scrumptious or was it scrumptious? Nothing more to be said, except I will not be leaving it quite so long before I make these again.

The theme for Forever Nigella this month is Nostalgic Nigella. Well, I may have never made or eaten a key lime pie before, but I have heard about these American beauties for many years. Having spent my first year of life in New York, they somehow make me feel nostalgic for the American childhood I never had, I bet key lime pie would have been a staple in our brownstone apartment. Hosted this month by the The Botanical Baker, it’s home is with Maison Cupcake.

Tags: ,

1. Foodycat

28th February 2013 at 8:47 am

I do love key lime pie. One day I will try it with real key limes!

28th February 2013 at 4:26 pm

Yes, I guess that is the next step for me too.

2. belleau kitchen

28th February 2013 at 9:42 am

wowzers, what a beauty!… I have never made key lime pie either but your words are very persuasive and your beautiful pictures even more so… they just look superb!

28th February 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Dom. Trouble is, once you’ve made it, you get hooked and just want more and more and more …….

3. Emmyw

28th February 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oooooh I do love key lime pie! (Though like you until recently, I’d never actually MADE one!) A chocolate version sounds heavenly though. I think when I do eventually give it a go, a chocolate base will be in order 🙂

28th February 2013 at 4:56 pm

Yes, do go for a chocolate base Emmy, it complemented the cream and lime so very well.

4. Victoria Lee

28th February 2013 at 4:18 pm

Another Key Lime Pie novice here – mostly because the Mr doesn’t like citrusy desserts. I reckon the chocolate addition might be enough to sway him on this one though, thanks for the inspiration! x
    The Pantry Door

28th February 2013 at 4:58 pm

You’re welcome Victoria. Not like citrusy desserts? That’s terrible. Mind you, they are something I’ve come to later in life – I hated lemon meringue pie when I was little.

5. Christian Halfmann

28th February 2013 at 4:25 pm

Oh oh, wow! That is some really lovely looking lime pie. I wouldn’t reject a piece or two.

28th February 2013 at 4:59 pm

Well, I’m very glad to hear it Chris. I might get a bit cross if you did.

6. Jo

28th February 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’ve never had a key lime pie before either, feeling a bit left out! Love the look of the mini ones in particular, the chocolate base frames them beautifully

28th February 2013 at 5:00 pm

I’m so glad there are other Key Lime Pie novices out there – I thought I must be the only one. But sounds like it’s time to make one Jo.

7. Kate@whatkatebaked

28th February 2013 at 7:57 pm

I too am joining the chorus of ‘never made before’ and similarly very keen to rectify this appalling situation!

28th February 2013 at 8:59 pm

I have unwittingly, it seems, uncovered a truly shocking state of affairs Kate.

8. thesmartcookiecook.com

28th February 2013 at 10:51 pm

I’ve never been much of a key lime pie person because it doesn’t have chocolate, and I have a hard time being interested in anything without chocolate. Well, you completely solved that problem! I don’t know why I never thought of it before. Sounds divine!

1st March 2013 at 3:11 pm

Haha, you’ve made my day – so pleased someone approved of my addition 🙂

9. Caroline @ Stumbling Upon Happiness

3rd March 2013 at 6:07 pm

This looks awesome. I love key lime pie and adding chocolate can only make it better!

10. Caroline

3rd March 2013 at 6:49 pm

I love the look of that large pie, although I wouldn’t say no to an individual one either! I don’t think I’ve ever had (key) lime pie either. It’s obviously something I need to rectify sooner rather than later.

11. Kit @ i-lostinausten

6th March 2013 at 11:48 am

oh My! This pie is die for!! So delicious with chocolate & lime! Lovely combo! 😉

12. Janine

7th March 2013 at 2:12 pm

I love the colours on this. I’ve maybe had one key lime pie before, but I do love citrus so should definitlely try and make one of these myself. Your adapted version looks right up my street too, what with the added chocolate!

13. mummy24

8th March 2013 at 9:20 pm

Love key lime pie and chocolate so this would be great for me!

14. Urvashi

8th March 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thank you for sharing this in my nostalgia challenge. You did rather make me chuckle with the american childhood you never had. between this and the elvis sandwiches from susan I could quite happily have been an american kid!

15. JaynesDen

12th March 2013 at 11:17 am

This looks so yummy. The prefect match of dark chocolate and citrus flavours.

16. Dee Johnson

17th March 2013 at 1:20 pm

I tried to make key lime pie once but i think i put too much lime in it. I followed the recipe too, will probably have to try it again see how it turns out.

17. Judith Luscombe

11th August 2013 at 11:16 pm

Have never tasted a Key Lime Pie but will be sure to try the recipe in the future

18. prwilson

15th February 2014 at 12:43 am

I knew that would look amazing, just from the name.