Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding – It’s The Best

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with cream.

Pudding | 28th February 2010 | By

There’s nothing quite as comforting as a good old fashioned pudding. This self-saucing chocolate pudding is easy to make and a real crowd pleaser too. Think warm chocolate sponge soaked in real chocolate sauce. The magic happens as it bakes.

This post may contain affiliate links. See my cookie and privacy statement for further details.

Although the day is bright, the sky is blue and spring can’t be far away, we woke to a white snow filled world again this morning and it’s feeling distinctly wintery.

Unless we have friends over to eat with us, puddings are a rare event in our house. Cakes don’t count, naturally. But the other day, comfort food was what we needed. We’d toiled away for hours sorting out a huge backlog of papers and then we got chilled when we ventured out to do the shopping.

Amazingly, I’ve only made this self-saucing chocolate pudding once before and that must have been at least a decade ago. I remember it as being successful and appreciated. So I’m not sure why I’ve failed to repeat the experience until now.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding

The original recipe comes from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook*, which is one I picked up in a remaindered bookshop many years ago. Unlike others I’ve bought on a similar whim, I do actually use this one, however occasionally. As there were only two of us I didn’t use the full quantities given. But I couldn’t do an exact split, so the ratios ended up being rather different to the original recipe. I also find a bit of cinnamon to spice it up goes down a treat.

Sieving out the bran.

To make the pudding, you just need to create a basic sponge. But there’s no need for creaming or getting a mixer out. Just melt the butter, mix in the sugar and eggs then add the dry ingredients followed by the milk. It’s an easy all in one pan method.

Then all you need to do is create a very basic chocolate sauce and pour it over the sponge. When I say basic, unlike many other puddings of this type, my chocolate sauce is made with real chocolate, not just cocoa. A glass pyrex soufflé dish* is ideal for this sort of pudding. Into the oven and half an hour later you have a beautiful self-saucing chocolate pudding oozing with scrumptiousness.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding

This saucy pudding was as good as I remembered it and it certainly did a good job in providing much needed comfort. Despite the large quantity of liquid, the sponge soaks up the majority of the sauce, leaving a light but moist sponge with deliciously gooey patches welling up through it. The dark chocolate sauce which has no added sugar, makes for a rich but not overly sweet pudding. Just the way I like them. We had ours with some delicious local organic crème fraîche.

2020 Update

In fact, this pudding is so good, it’s become an occasional regular on our table. We particularly like it spiced up a with chilli chocolate. Serve it with cream, crème fraîche or ice-cream for something even more special.

What is Self-Saucing?

This classic British pudding is also known as chocolate puddle pudding. Both names give the clue to what sort of dessert it is. As described above, you make a basic sponge mixture, then you add a very liquid chocolate sauce. Whilst the pudding is baking, the lighter sponge rises to the top, leaving a layer of sauce at the bottom.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with cream.

Although, once the pudding is removed from the oven and starts to cool down, the sponge soaks up even more of the sauce. By the time it’s cold, the sauce has all but disappeared. For this reason, it’s best to eat this self-saucing pudding whilst it’s hot.

Top Tip

This recipe uses wholemeal flour. Bran inhibits the ability for bakes to rise. So, discard any large bits of bran that are left in the sieve. I usually chuck mine onto the garden as it’s not good for slugs. Otherwise, it goes onto the compost heap.

Enhance Your Chocolate Pudding

The possibilities for flavour when it comes to this self-saucing chocolate pudding are endless. The higher the percentage of chocolate you use, the richer and less sweet your sauce will be. So if you have a sweet tooth, you might want to go for milk chocolate or a low cocoa content dark chocolate. I find 85% dark chocolate works for us.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with cream.

Go Mexican

Our favourite way to enhance this self-saucing chocolate pudding is to go Mexican. I’ve already mentioned that I add cinnamon to the sponge mixture. So for this warming spicy number, I make the chocolate sauce with 70% dark chilli chocolate*. This works an absolute treat to give a warming pudding that doesn’t blow your head off. It also reminds me of the ancient Mayan origins of chocolate. They would often combine it with chilli to make a much revered drink.

Flavoured Chocolate Bars

Really, it’s all up for experimentation, but I think orange chocolate would be lovely. Ginger flavoured chocolate and raspberry could also be good. But remember, the sauce is soaked up by the sponge, so the flavours will be subtle rather than in your face.

Cinnamon Not Your Thing?

If you don’t like the idea of cinnamon, just omit it from the recipe. But you might like to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead. Chocolate and vanilla have a great affinity for one another and it will make your chocolate puddle pudding sweetly fragrant.

Other Chocolate Puddings You Might Like

If you’re after more pudding ideas, take a look at my pudding category.

Stay in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you try this recipe for self-saucing chocolate pudding, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding. PIN IT.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with cream.

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding – The Recipe

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with cream.
Print Pin
5 from 6 votes

Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding

There's nothing quite as comforting as a good old fashioned pudding. This self-saucing chocolate pudding is easy to make and a real crowd pleaser too. Think warm chocolate sponge soaked in real chocolate sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Keyword: chocolate, chocolate sauce, pudding, sponge
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 382kcal

Equipment

Chocolate Sponge

• 60 g (2 oz) unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 115 ml (4 fl oz) milk
  • 125 g (4 oz) wholemeal flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 125 g (4 oz) light brown sugar

Chocolate Sauce

• 100 g (3.5 oz) bar of dark chocolate (I use 85% for a standard pudding or 70% chilli chocolate for a Mexican version)
  • 230 ml (8 fl oz) milk
  • 85 ml (3 fl oz) water
  • 1 tsp icing sugar for dusting

Chocolate Sponge

• Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat. Allow to cool a little, then beat in the sugar followed by the eggs.
  • Sift in the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Chuck any large peices of bran left in the sieve into the compost bin.
  • Stir gently until just mixed in then stir in the milk in a similar fashion.
  • Pour into a greased pyrex soufflé dish. Make sure you scrape out all of the batter.

Chocolate Sauce

• Break up the chocolate and place in a pan with the milk and water.
  • Stir over a low heat until melted and smooth.
  • Pour over the top of the sponge mixture and bake for 30 to 40 mins in a preheated oven at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4). The sponge should be well risen with a crust on top and the sauce bubbling away. But there should also be a bit of a wobble to the top.
  • Dust with icing sugar before serving if liked. But best to eat it hot whilst the sauce is still liquid.

Notes

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 422IU | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 3mg

Sharing

I’m sharing this super scrumptious self-saucing chocolate pudding with Crumbs & Corkscrews for #CookBlogShare.

This post contains affiliate links to Amazon*. Links are marked with an *. If you buy through a link it won’t cost you any more, but I’ll get a small commission. Thank you for your support of the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Kath

28th February 2010 at 11:33 am

Your pudding looks delicious and I am definitely going to try this. I have tried Nigella’s version a couple of times, which seems to use almost a pot of cocoa and has been a disaster every time, tasting of undercooked sponge. Putting it back in the oven for a while longer just makes things worse. So next time I want a quick chocolate pudding to satisfy my nephew I will try your version.

28th February 2010 at 11:49 am

Chocoalte Self Saucing pud is the best invention ever! Not had it since I was a kid … going to have to make one with loads with whipped cream to melt over!!!

3. Mommy Gourmet

28th February 2010 at 2:49 pm

This looks amazing!

28th February 2010 at 3:38 pm

Kath – Nigella is usually such a star. Not sure I believe that it’s only your nephew that likes chocolate pudding!

Chele – yes it is good. Not at all sure why I havne’t made it for so long.

Mommy Gourmet – yes I liked the volcanic lava look.

28th February 2010 at 4:32 pm

lovely.

6. hopeeternal

28th February 2010 at 6:32 pm

This looks delcious, Janice! These puddings with a sauce underneath are deceptively easy but impressive, aren’t they. I have something very similar on my site but using coffee so you have a chocca/mocha ‘sludge’ (Chocolate up and over pudding). I also know a similar recipe for a pudding with lemon sauce underneath which I will have to dig out.
    h/e

28th February 2010 at 7:27 pm

H/E – I like the sound of the lemon pudding but as I’m not a coffee fan am not convinced by that one.

8. Kath

28th February 2010 at 7:49 pm

Well, no you’re right, it’s not just my nephew, but he makes an excellent excuse!

9. Kitchen Butterfly

28th February 2010 at 8:58 pm

I’ll have anything with creme fraiche…..and this self saucing pud looks delish. I had something similar a few days ago at a Michelin star restaurant and it was fab!

28th February 2010 at 9:06 pm

Kath – it’s always useful to have a good excuse.

Kitchen Butterfly – hope for me yet then!

11. Lucie

28th February 2010 at 9:44 pm

Gosh this looks a real delight – everyone loves a good choc pud, the saucing can be hard to achieve – yours looks divine!

12. hopeeternal

28th February 2010 at 10:29 pm

I’ll let you know when I post the lemon one then!
    h/e

(Not sure why I called you Janice, probably because Janice had written just before me. Sorry. Perhaps you could change the word Janice to Choclette – and delete this bit in brackets!)

13. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

1st March 2010 at 3:37 am

Seriously dark sauce, Choclette! But it sounds perfect for a cold winter’s day..

14. Natalie

1st March 2010 at 11:09 am

That looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it. I presume the duck eggs aren’t essential though..?

15. MaryMoh

2nd March 2010 at 2:51 pm

Mmmm…delicious! I’m sure a portion of that would cheer me up in this freezing weather 😀

2nd March 2010 at 8:56 pm

H/E – unable to edit comments, I can only delete them. Happy to do this if you’d like me to, but I’m happy leaving it if you are.

Celia – I wanted a rich and bitter (ish) sauce to offset the sweetness of the pudding and I think it worked really well.

Natlaie – I use duck eggs for baking when I can get them as they are particularly good for this purpose, but otherwise use chicken eggs.

Thanks MaryMoh

17. Snooky doodle

2nd March 2010 at 9:15 pm

yummy i love these type of recipes 🙂

18. SWEET SOUL CREATION

3rd March 2010 at 8:24 am

how do u come up with so many chocolate recipes!!

3rd March 2010 at 8:04 pm

Snooky Doodle – glad you like it.

Sweet Soul Creation – I think I’ve got years worth of chocolate recipes to get through. The more I make the more I keep coming across!

20. Margaret

3rd March 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love self-saucing puds and especially a chocolate one. I haven’t made one for ages though.

4th March 2010 at 9:03 pm

Maybe it’s time to try it again Margaret.

22. Giles - Anyone For Seconds?

5th March 2010 at 12:19 pm

Where can I order one from? 🙂 That looks so good! I had never heard of self-saucing puds before until I saw one on Market Kitchen – have to say yours is loads better!!

5th March 2010 at 7:28 pm

Shucks Giles! You mean there is no traditional Somerset recipe for this?

24. Cornishgirl

5th March 2013 at 9:59 pm

This is one of these things that I always mean to make but get put off by the fact that it could possibly turn out a disaster! Maybe I will give it a go now.

25. Fiona Matters

14th March 2013 at 11:39 am

Wow – this looks fabulous. I’m a fan of chocolate pudding and it’s always nice to break into it and find it all gooey in the middle!

26. Maggie Osborn

14th March 2013 at 2:43 pm

Looks and sounds delicious! off to buy the ingredients now!

27. Jo Allison / Jo's Kitchen Larder

10th February 2020 at 9:52 am

What a scrumptious pudding Choclette. I must say I’ve never made self-saucing pudding before even though I like everything about it especially that lovely chocolate sauce at the bottom. Mexican variation with a bit of chilli also sounds like just the ticket! Will have to give it a go.

10th February 2020 at 10:12 am

Now is the perfect time to make it Jo. We’re all in need of really delicious comfort food I reckon.

28. Chloe Edges

10th February 2020 at 11:41 am

This looks amazing! I love the magic of self saucing puddings and I really like that yo use choc and not just cocoa too! Must try!

10th February 2020 at 11:57 am

That chocolate makes all the difference 😀

29. Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie

12th February 2020 at 8:09 am

Yum! My mum used to make a self saucing chocolate pudding very much like this when I was growing up and it was always my favourite! We called it puddle pudding on account of the puddle of chocolate sauce at the bottom 😀 Eb x

12th February 2020 at 8:55 am

Puddle pudding is a great name. I think we just called it chocolate pudding.

30. Janice Pattie

15th February 2020 at 1:58 pm

Absolutely heavenly! I always think it’s a bit magical when the sauce appears at the bottom of the dish. This looks so very delicious and I’d love to dive in!

17th February 2020 at 9:42 am

You are so right. Magic chocolate pudding would perhaps be a better name.

31. Jill

17th February 2020 at 3:01 pm

Jings – I had that delicious feeling of déjà vu, seeing your pyrex dish (Mum still has the same one from puddings she used to make) and this rings a distant, scrumptious bell. I’ve never heard of the “self-saucing” pudding before. It looks and sounds fabulous, Choclette. Love the chili kick to it too.

18th February 2020 at 6:11 pm

Hahaha, I know just what you mean. I grew up with pyrex dishes and even though I have a few myself, they always make me think of my mum. You need to try self-saucing puddings Jill. They are fabulous. A lemon version is one of my favourites.