Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding

Pudding, Quick | 28th February 2010 | By

I seem to be getting further and further behind in my posts. I wrote this one last week!

Although the day is bright, the sky is blue and spring can’t be far away, we woke to a white snow filled world again this morning and it is feeling distinctly wintery. Unless we have friends over, puddings are a rare event in our house (cakes don’t count) but after toiling away sorting out a huge backlog of papers and then getting chilled when venturing out to do the shopping, comfort food was what we needed! Amazingly, I have only made this pudding once before and that must have been at least a decade ago. I remember it as being fairly successful, so not sure why I’ve failed to repeat the experience until now. The recipe comes from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook a book I picked up in a remaindered bookshop many years ago. Unlike others I’ve picked up on a similar whim, I do actually use this one, however occasionally! As there were only two of us I didn’t use the full quantities given, but as I couldn’t do an exact split, the ratios ended up being rather different to the original recipe. I also fancied spicing it up a bit with cinnamon. This is what I did:

• Melted 2oz unsalted butter.
  • Beat 2 duck eggs into 4 fl oz milk.
  • Sifted 4oz wholemeal flour, 1 level tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp cocoa and 1 tsp ground cinnamon into a bowl.
  • Stirred in 4oz granulated sugar.
  • Made a well in the centre and poured in the egg mixture followed by the melted butter and mixed it all together.
  • Poured this into a greased pyrex soufflé dish.
  • Broke up 100g bar of dark chocolate 85% and placed in pan with 8 fl oz milk and 3 fl oz water.
  • Stirred over low heat until melted and smooth.
  • Poured over sponge mixture and baked for 30 mins at 180C (gas 4).
  • and baked in a preheated oven at 180C for 30 mins.
  • Dusted with a tsp of icing sugar before serving.

This saucy pudding was as good as I remembered it and certainly did its job well in providing comfort. Despite the large quantity of liquid, the sponge soaked up the majority of the sauce, leaving a light but moist sponge with deliciously gooey patches welling up through it. The dark chocolate sauce, having no extra sweetner, made for a rich but not overly sweet pudding – the way I like them. We had ours with delicious local organic creme fraiche.

1. Kath

28th February 2010 at 11:33 am

Your pudding looks delicious and I am definitely going to try this. I have tried Nigella’s version a couple of times, which seems to use almost a pot of cocoa and has been a disaster every time, tasting of undercooked sponge. Putting it back in the oven for a while longer just makes things worse. So next time I want a quick chocolate pudding to satisfy my nephew I will try your version.

28th February 2010 at 11:49 am

Chocoalte Self Saucing pud is the best invention ever! Not had it since I was a kid … going to have to make one with loads with whipped cream to melt over!!!

3. Mommy Gourmet

28th February 2010 at 2:49 pm

This looks amazing!

28th February 2010 at 3:38 pm

Kath – Nigella is usually such a star. Not sure I believe that it’s only your nephew that likes chocolate pudding!

Chele – yes it is good. Not at all sure why I havne’t made it for so long.

Mommy Gourmet – yes I liked the volcanic lava look.

28th February 2010 at 4:32 pm

lovely.

6. hopeeternal

28th February 2010 at 6:32 pm

This looks delcious, Janice! These puddings with a sauce underneath are deceptively easy but impressive, aren’t they. I have something very similar on my site but using coffee so you have a chocca/mocha ‘sludge’ (Chocolate up and over pudding). I also know a similar recipe for a pudding with lemon sauce underneath which I will have to dig out.
    h/e

28th February 2010 at 7:27 pm

H/E – I like the sound of the lemon pudding but as I’m not a coffee fan am not convinced by that one.

8. Kath

28th February 2010 at 7:49 pm

Well, no you’re right, it’s not just my nephew, but he makes an excellent excuse!

9. Kitchen Butterfly

28th February 2010 at 8:58 pm

I’ll have anything with creme fraiche…..and this self saucing pud looks delish. I had something similar a few days ago at a Michelin star restaurant and it was fab!

28th February 2010 at 9:06 pm

Kath – it’s always useful to have a good excuse.

Kitchen Butterfly – hope for me yet then!

11. Lucie

28th February 2010 at 9:44 pm

Gosh this looks a real delight – everyone loves a good choc pud, the saucing can be hard to achieve – yours looks divine!

12. hopeeternal

28th February 2010 at 10:29 pm

I’ll let you know when I post the lemon one then!
    h/e

(Not sure why I called you Janice, probably because Janice had written just before me. Sorry. Perhaps you could change the word Janice to Choclette – and delete this bit in brackets!)

13. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

1st March 2010 at 3:37 am

Seriously dark sauce, Choclette! But it sounds perfect for a cold winter’s day..

14. Natalie

1st March 2010 at 11:09 am

That looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it. I presume the duck eggs aren’t essential though..?

15. MaryMoh

2nd March 2010 at 2:51 pm

Mmmm…delicious! I’m sure a portion of that would cheer me up in this freezing weather 😀

2nd March 2010 at 8:56 pm

H/E – unable to edit comments, I can only delete them. Happy to do this if you’d like me to, but I’m happy leaving it if you are.

Celia – I wanted a rich and bitter (ish) sauce to offset the sweetness of the pudding and I think it worked really well.

Natlaie – I use duck eggs for baking when I can get them as they are particularly good for this purpose, but otherwise use chicken eggs.

Thanks MaryMoh

17. Snooky doodle

2nd March 2010 at 9:15 pm

yummy i love these type of recipes 🙂

18. SWEET SOUL CREATION

3rd March 2010 at 8:24 am

how do u come up with so many chocolate recipes!!

3rd March 2010 at 8:04 pm

Snooky Doodle – glad you like it.

Sweet Soul Creation – I think I’ve got years worth of chocolate recipes to get through. The more I make the more I keep coming across!

20. Margaret

3rd March 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love self-saucing puds and especially a chocolate one. I haven’t made one for ages though.

4th March 2010 at 9:03 pm

Maybe it’s time to try it again Margaret.

22. Giles - Anyone For Seconds?

5th March 2010 at 12:19 pm

Where can I order one from? 🙂 That looks so good! I had never heard of self-saucing puds before until I saw one on Market Kitchen – have to say yours is loads better!!

5th March 2010 at 7:28 pm

Shucks Giles! You mean there is no traditional Somerset recipe for this?

24. Cornishgirl

5th March 2013 at 9:59 pm

This is one of these things that I always mean to make but get put off by the fact that it could possibly turn out a disaster! Maybe I will give it a go now.

25. Fiona Matters

14th March 2013 at 11:39 am

Wow – this looks fabulous. I’m a fan of chocolate pudding and it’s always nice to break into it and find it all gooey in the middle!

26. Maggie Osborn

14th March 2013 at 2:43 pm

Looks and sounds delicious! off to buy the ingredients now!