Chocolate & Lime Cheesecake Surprise

Chocolate Surprise Cheesecake

Dessert, No Bake | 3rd March 2010 | By

Party going family members en route from Gloucestershire to Falmouth, thoughtfully stopped by for lunch at the weekend. Time to revive an old favourite which used to be appear at Christmas, but I hadn’t actually made for years.

Scouring my memory for the recipe proved more difficult than I’d expected – quantities were the problem rather than ingredients. The beauty of this recipe is that you can play around with both quantities and ingredients to suit evolving tastes. It originally came from one of my aunts and used hazelnut yogurt. I used plain yogurt and bits of roasted hazelnuts for ages but, it has been undergoing a slow metamorphosis over the years. Sometimes I use plain chocolate, sometimes milk. I’ve also incorporated the chocolate directly into the cheesecake mixture rather than having it as a separate layer. This latest incarnation replaces the original hazelnuts with lime. This is what I did:

• Placed 8oz digestive biscuits into a bowl and bashed them with the end of a rolling pin until they were crumb like.
  • Melted 4oz unsalted butter and mixed into the biscuit crumbs.
  • Poured this into a round 20cm ” flan dish and moulded it to fit the bottom and sides (as you would with pastry).
  • Melted nearly all of two 100g bars milk chocolate (as it’s fairtrade fortnight, I used Divine for a change), keeping a few squares back for decoration.
  • Poured this on top of biscuit base and spread out as much as possible. Left to set.
  • Mixed 3oz cream cheese with 1/2 oz granulated sugar (more sugar could easily be used here, but I didn’t want anything too sweet as I was using milk chocolate).
  • Whipped 250 ml double cream until soft peaks formed.
  • Mixed in 250 ml plain yogurt.
  • Stirred this into cheese until well incorporated.
  • Grated the zest of 1 lime and added 3/4 of this to the cheese mixture.
  • Spooned mixture onto the set chocolate layer and smoothed out.
  • Grated the reserved chocolate on top and scattered the remaining lime zest over the surface.

Chocolate Surprise Cheesecake SliceThis was as good as I remembered and was a real hit with my visitors. The chocolate layer always comes as pleasant surprise and elicited the usual oohs and ahs that I’ve come to expect with this creation. The combination of salty bicuity crumb, sweet chocolate and tangy cream filling is a particularly good one. The flavour of lime permeates the whole cheesecake, despite the small quantities involved. Why, I wonder has it been so long since I last made it?

I’ve decided to enter this post for the Cornishware Competition on FoodForFriendsYeah as it’s such a great dessert!

1. Lucie

3rd March 2010 at 7:59 pm

Excellent Choclette, this sounds lovely – a great dessert for entertaining. Good luck with your entry 🙂

3rd March 2010 at 10:08 pm

Gosh sounds like a dessert from the 70s but none the worse for that. I can imagine how great it would be to find that chocolate layer mmmmm.

3. Mommy Gourmet

4th March 2010 at 12:07 am

I feel a bit sad I don’t live at your house 🙂

4. Pam

4th March 2010 at 12:13 am

I’ve never thought to combine chocolate with lime…your pie looks delicious.

5. MaryMoh

4th March 2010 at 8:48 am

I love cheesecake. Yours looks very delicious.

6. Emma @CakeMistress

4th March 2010 at 9:07 am

Ooh, choc-lime sounds like a delicious combo. I’m so excited by all the chocolate recipes here too 😀

7. aforkfulofspaghetti

4th March 2010 at 5:21 pm

I’m rather loving that sneaky chocolate layer, I must admit! I think I’ll make a note of this for the warmer months…

8. Jacqueline

4th March 2010 at 5:36 pm

That is just brilliant Choclette! I love the layer of chocolate and that you added in a flavoured yoghurt. I am going to make this one very soon. Today if I can persuade my hubby to buy the ingredients on his way home from work 🙂

9. Jacqueline

4th March 2010 at 5:54 pm

I have sent off the email, now I just have to await the ingredients 🙂

10. ARUNA

4th March 2010 at 7:13 pm

wow it is a tempting dessert!

11. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

4th March 2010 at 7:18 pm

What an interesting dessert, Choclette! I’ve never seen a cheesecake with yoghurt before..

4th March 2010 at 9:13 pm

Sounds like this one has quite a history to it. Looks really nice.

4th March 2010 at 9:17 pm

Lucie – this is certainly one I have made many times over the years.

Janice – you’re probably right about the 70s.

Mommy – you haven’t seen my house!

Pam – Chocolate and lime is a wonderful combination – do try it.

MaryMoh – thank you

Emma – hope to see you back again.

Forkful – you’re right it’s more suited to the summer months really.

Jacqueline – hope your husband delivered the goods. Look forward to finding out how you got on with it.

Aruna – thank you

Celia – it’s the only cheesecake I’ve ever made.

14. Mommy Gourmet

4th March 2010 at 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for the comment. Next time invite them to come over but have everyone bring something.. easy, plus you get to see them 🙂

15. Kitchen Butterfly

6th March 2010 at 9:51 pm

A no-bake scrumptious chocolate containing dessert with citrus – yum

7th March 2010 at 1:03 pm

Mommy Gourmet – thank you that’s a nice idea. Some of the best meal’s I’ve been too have been when everyone brings a dish.

Kitchen Butterfly – it works well in summer when having the oven on for baking seems less appealing.

17. The Caked Crusader

7th March 2010 at 8:14 pm

chocolate and lime – what an ace combination! Love the look of this dish

8th March 2010 at 6:34 pm

Yes inspired by you I made a chocolate, lime and buttermilk cake at the weekend. Will be posting about it later.

19. Margaret

13th March 2010 at 9:58 am

I too always mix natural yogurt in with double cream to cut down on a few calories and to counteract the richness of the cream. A delicious cheesecake.

20. Foodycat

14th March 2010 at 2:53 pm

That sounds really good! I bet the yoghurt adds a lovely flavour and texture. So it’s firm chocolate with a cheesecakey layer on top? I must try this!

21. Jacqueline

15th March 2010 at 12:10 pm

Hi Choclette,

The cheesecake was fab, although it changed as it went along. I decided to make a toffee cheesecake, using toffee yoghurt. Unfortunately it didn’t impart much flavour, I think you would have to use some caramel too, which I didn’t have, so I added cocoa powder and it was gorgeous!

15th March 2010 at 8:31 pm

Margaret – yes I use the yogurt / cream mix a lot – it works really well.

Foodycat – yes solid chocolate with the cheesecake on top – it’s a winner as long as you’ve got a chocolate you really like.

Jacqueline – thanks for the feedback. It’s great to hear someone’s actually made something inspired from my blog. The toffee flavour sounds like a good one to try.

23. Nicisme

20th March 2010 at 4:04 pm

Saw this at FFFY, it’s wonderful Choclette! Love the way you combined lime with the chocolate.

21st March 2010 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Nicisme – currently have a bit of a lime and chocolate obsession. the flavours go really well together.

25. Elizabeth

21st March 2013 at 1:32 pm

This sounds absolutely fantastic!

26. Chocolate Quark Cheesecake - Easy No Bake Recipe

25th January 2017 at 5:20 pm

[…] Chocolate & Lime Cheesecake (Tin & Thyme) […]

27. Margot

22nd February 2017 at 12:47 pm

Delicious, my husband is a big fan of anything with lime so I may give it a go, especially that he bought two bags of limes yesterday for some reason 😉

23rd February 2017 at 3:26 pm

Oh do give it a go Margot, it’s such a fun cheesecake, especially if you don’t let on about the chocolate.