Cocoa Refried Beans
This is a heavily adapted version of Chantal Coady’s ‘Mexican refried beans with chocolate sauce’ from her book Real Chocolate – chiefly because I didn’t have some of the ingredients required nor the forethought to do the requisite planning. I am a huge fan of re-fried beans, principally because it’s a nice quick meal to make after work and it’s a good excuse to have tortilla chips. I had, however, never made them with chocolate before – until now!
- Fried 1 small onion and 3 cloves garlic slowly in a slosh of olive oil and a knob of unsalted butter for about 10 mins.
- Added 1 nearly drained can of haricot beans – they were all I had.
- Stirred in 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp my chilli sauce and 1 tsp cocoa.
- Simmered for 5 mins, then mashed roughly.
- Served with tortilla chips, sheep’s yogurt and chopped parsley with purple sprouting broccoli on the side.
- Meat Free Monday - Mexican Bean Stew | Lover Of Creating Flavours - […] : Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Bean Mole from How To Cook Good Food …