Carrot Cake Flapjacks – Autumn in a Bliss Filled Bite
Carrot cake is one of our nation’s favourite cakes, apparently. Who would have thought something as healthy as carrots would appeal to such an extent? As I was dreaming autumn thoughts the other day, I had a sudden urge to try making carrot cake in flapjack form. It worked beautifully and these carrot cake flapjacks are just the best.
I have a great fondness for flapjacks. They’re quick and easy to make, keep well and are very tasty. They also require little in the way of washing up – win win. I often add fruit to my flapjacks, but I’d never tried adding carrots and walnuts before. What a great invention. The carrot cake flapjacks are flavoured with warming spices and flecked with autumnal gold. They are a little bit crumbly, but look rather fine I feel.
I’d be interested to know what unusual ingredients you’ve added to flapjacks and what you thought of the results. Or do you have any amazing bakes you use carrot in?
- 145 g 5oz unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tbsp golden syrup
- 85 g 3oz light muscovado sugar
- 250 g 9oz rolled oats
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 large organic carrot - washed and grated
- 50 g 2oz walnuts - roughly chopped
- 50 g 2oz raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon I used 3 drops of Holy Lama Spice Drops
- grating of nutmeg I used 1 drop of Holy Lama Spice Drops
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gently heat with the syrup and sugar.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into a 22cm (9") sq silicon mould or lined tin.
- Bake at 180℃ for 15 minutes or until the top is set and golden.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into twelve slices.
I’m sending my carrot cake flapjacks off to Treat Petite with Cakeyboi and Baking Explorer. They also go to Feeding Boys for Simple & In Season. And lastly, I’m sharing these carrot cake flapjacks with Bake of the Week at Casa Costello.
Other recipes for carrot bakes you might like
- Beetroot, carrot & goat’s cheese muffins via Tin and Thyme
- Apple & carrot crumble via Munchies and Munchkins
- Carrot & chocolate chip cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Carrot cake muffins via FoodieQuine
- Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting via Jo’s Kitchen
- Vegan carrot cupcakes via Planet Veggie