Carrot Cake Flapjacks – Autumn in a Bliss Filled Bite
Carrot cake is one of our nation’s favourite cakes, apparently. Who would have thought something as healthy as carrots would appeal to such an extent? As I was dreaming autumn thoughts the other day, I had a sudden urge to try making carrot cake in flapjack form. It worked beautifully and these carrot cake flapjacks are just the best.
British flapjacks are not to be confused with American ones. In the States and Canada, the name flapjacks is often given to pancakes, usually the ones served with maple syrup. British flapjacks are made with oats, sugar and syrup and are baked in the oven rather than on top of it.
I have a great fondness for flapjacks. They were the first bake I managed all by myself as a child. They’re quick and easy to make, keep well and are very tasty. These oaty delights also require little in the way of washing up – win win.
Carrot Cake Flapjacks
I often add fruit to my flapjacks, but I’d never tried adding carrots and walnuts before. What a great invention. These carrot cake flapjacks are flavoured with warming spices and flecked with autumnal gold. They are a little bit crumbly, but look rather fine I feel. They’re also delicious.
How Do You Make Your Flapjacks?
I’d be interested to know what unusual ingredients you’ve added to flapjacks and what you thought of the results? Or perhaps you have an amazing bake you use carrots in? Do let me know.
Carrot Cake Flapjacks – The Recipe
- 145 g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tbsp golden syrup
- 85 g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
- 250 g (9oz) rolled oats
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 large organic carrot - washed and grated
- 50 g (2oz) walnuts - roughly chopped
- 50 g (2oz) raisins
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon I used 3 drops of Holy Lama Spice Drops
- grating of nutmeg I used 1 drop of Holy Lama Spice Drops
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gently heat with the syrup and sugar.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into a 22cm (9") sq silicon mould or lined tin.
Bake at 180℃ for 15-20 minutes or until the top is set and golden.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into twelve slices.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.
I’m sending my carrot cake flapjacks off to Treat Petite with Cakeyboi and Baking Explorer. They also go to Feeding Boys for Simple & In Season. And lastly, I’m sharing them with Bake of the Week at Casa Costello.
Other recipes for carrot bakes you might like
- Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting via Jo’s Kitchen
- Beetroot, carrot & goat’s cheese muffins via Tin and Thyme
- Apple & carrot crumble via Munchies and Munchkins
- Carrot & chocolate chip cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Vegan carrot cupcakes via Planet Veggie
- Carrot cake muffins via FoodieQuine
For more carrot recipes and ideas, you might like to head over to my Carrot Recipes board on Pinterest.
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these carrot cake flapjacks, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.