Beetroot, Carrot and Goats Cheese Muffins

When I met Vanesther of Bangers & Mash at Blog Summit in Bristol a couple of weeks ago, I learnt about her Recipes for Life challenge which she hosts in conjunction with SWALLOW, a charity which helps adults with learning difficulties to lead more independent lives. Do find out what it is all about by visiting her blog. As soon as I heard what the ingredients were (beetroot, carrot and cheese), I knew what I wanted to make. I first made savoury cocoa muffins for the Capricorn Challenge back in October last year and was very impressed by the results; I’m not sure why I haven’t made them since. My only concern was would I have time to do it. With a cake club meeting, a chocolate course and a birthday party to bake for, I really wasn’t sure if I could fit it in. But sense prevailed; as well as making a nice change to my lunchtime sandwich, it would save me having to make said item in the mornings before going to work, something I always find a bit of a chore. I was also given a bit of a helping hand by Ethel the Goat, who is up to her old tricks again and a round of Capricorn cheese or two found its way to my kitchen.

This is how I made:

Beetroot, Carrot & Goats Cheese Muffins

• Scrubbed 2 medium carrots and 2 smallish beetroot (weighing about 300g) then topped, tailed and grated them in a food processor.
  • Put 300g flour (half wholemeal, half white) in a mixing bowl.
  • Added 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda and 1/4 tsp salt.
  • Added 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • Whisked together to ensure all was incorporated and there were no lumps.
  • Stirred in 50g of chopped walnuts.
  • In another bowl beat 2 large organic eggs with 200ml yogurt.
  • Beat in 100ml sunflower oil.
  • Beat in 100ml milk and a good good grinding of black pepper.
  • Divided 100g Capricorn goats cheese into three.
  • Chopped two lots into pieces and stirred into the batter.
  • Chopped the third piece into twelve equal portions.
  • Made a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and added the batter.
  • Stirred as lightly as possible until everything was just incorporated.
  • Added the grated beetroot and carrots and stirred just enough to incorporate into the mixture.
  • Divided between 12 silicone muffin moulds.
  • Topped each with a piece of goats cheese.
  • Baked at 200C for 20 minutes
  • Left for a few minutes in their moulds, then turned out onto a wire rack to cool.

These were just as good as the Beetroot, Walnut Goat’s Cheese Muffins I originally made and the raw grated vegetables cooked through with no problem.

Blog Summit Bristol

I’m not going to write an account of the Blog Summit, a really useful gathering of bloggers from Foodies100 and Tots100 held at the famous MShed down by the river. This is partly because there was not a single piece of chocolate or chocolate cake or even a chocolate biscuit to be had anywhere – can you believe it? Partly because others have written far more informative posts than anything I am likely to do and partly because this was the only 1/4 decent picture I took. I’ve listed below a couple of particularly useful write ups that others have done. It was a useful day and despite the rather long journey, it was worth attending. I met lots of very nice bloggers and heard quite a lot of useful tips about SEO, social media and photography – the follow / no follow issue was covered at some length. Special mention must go to Ali of PLUS 2.4 and Annie of Mammasaurus who rescued me from who knows what heinous fate as I wondered around Temple Meads in daze, stupefied by the splendour of a great metropolis – I am a country lass after all! Apart from the lack of chocolate, the only slight quibble I have, is that Foodies 100 members were sadly underrepresented, with only myself and Vanesther in attendance.

Ten things I learnt at Bristol Blog Summit by Vanesther of Bangers & Mash
Blog Summit Bristol: a summary by Sally Whittle of Tots100

1. Debs Dust Bunny

26th March 2013 at 7:40 am

I love one of these with a bit of salad for lunch.

2. manu

26th March 2013 at 9:16 am

What a great combo..I love the colour.
    Have a lovely day

3. Susan

26th March 2013 at 10:16 am

Recipe looks good and that goats cheese is lovely. Now you understand the no follow rule, can you enlighten me please? x

27th March 2013 at 8:17 am

I thought I had commented on this but maybe I was just too excited and bookmarked it – am just baking these as I write and the smell is wonderful though it does confuse the sense to smell chocolate and know it is savoury – can’t wait to try them – brilliant recipe

5. Alida

27th March 2013 at 10:15 pm

Very yummy! Lovely combination. Their natural beetroot colour is very interesting. X

6. Janine

11th April 2013 at 3:50 pm

I’m trying not to eat sugar for a week or so and was just on the hunt for savoury muffins to act as a snack when I decided to read through some blog posts I hadn’t got round to reading yet (I favourite them until I have time… as you can see I’m quite far behind). This was the first one I opened and I’m glad I did because these muffins were exactly what I was looking for!

7. ManjiriK

22nd July 2014 at 12:11 pm

Am here from your more recent post about your chocolate lemon curd and strawberry birthday cake with Pomegranate juice (!!) I must say this years Tots100 and Foodies 100 was much better represented by us foodies what say ! I haven’t yet written about it though lol ! Love ur savoury recipe and am going off to buy some good quality goats cheese as I hate the ones that are too salty and after eating the most amazing pizza at 21 in Covent garden where they used the best goats cheese I’ve ever eaten I cannot wait to bake something savoury ! Ur recipe is just what I need ! xx

22nd July 2014 at 1:39 pm

Thank you Manjirik. Sometimes quality will out and it’s worth paying that bit extra for it.

8. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

26th May 2017 at 10:28 am

Ooh these sound so good Choclette, I can certainly see why you made them, they look and sound absolutely gorgeous. Will definitely be popping this on my to make list.
    Angela x

28th May 2017 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Angela. I had a spate of making loads of them to take with me to work for lunch, but I haven’t made any in far too long and really should. They are good.

9. Jo Allison - Jo's Kitchen Larder

30th May 2017 at 10:13 pm

These sound wonderful. I love beetroot/goat’s cheese combination. Add the carrot and there is even more goodness 🙂 I’m always looking for savoury muffin recipes as my boys will eat anything in a muffin form so these ones should be a winner! 🙂

31st May 2017 at 8:29 am

Muffins are just brilliant for getting in some extra veg and walnuts too. It’s time I made some again.