Blueberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks – We Should Cocoa #59

Blueberry Flapjacks

Having set blueberries as the ingredient for this month’s We Should Cocoa, I’ve not managed to get my act together to bake what I had planned and I don’t think I’m going to before the deadline. However, a couple of years ago, I made these rather scrumptious blueberry and white chocolate flapjacks with some local blueberries, but for some reason never got around to posting about them. Here goes.

Blueberries

Following a tip I’d heard, my mother covered her blueberry bushes with an old net curtain that year, thus stopping the birds from stripping the crop as they had done in previous years. The result? A bumper crop and we got some of the spoils.

Blueberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks

I’d never made blueberry flapjacks before and this had been a flapjack free household for far too long. The results were excellent and I used this recipe as the base for my popular raspberry and white chocolate flapjacks that I made earlier this year. Sadly the only photography I seem to have, does not do them justice.

This is a simple traybake and these fruity oat slices are quick to make and utterly delicious. They last a few days and are perfect for lunch boxes and picnics. I used condensed milk rather than sugar and golden syrup which gave them quite a different consistency to the usual ones I bake. Rather than crunchy, they were a bit softer and chewier and made a very pleasant change. Surprisingly, they were also less sweet.

Blueberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks – The Recipe

0 from 0 votes
Blueberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
30 mins

A simple traybake, these fruity oat slices are quick to make and utterly delicious. They last a few days and are perfect for lunch boxes and picnics.

Course: Afternoon Tea
Cuisine: British
Keywords: blueberries, flapjacks, oats, white chocolate
Servings: 12 slices
Author: Choclette
  • 125 g Unsalted butter
  • 200 ml Condensed milk
  • 50 g White chocolate
  • 8 oz Porridge oats
  • 2 oz Jumbo oats
  • a pinch Sea salt
  • 150 g Blueberries
  • 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
  1. Melt the butter, condensed milk and white chocolate in a large pan over low heat.
  2. Stir in the oats, salt and blueberries until just combined.
  3. Press into an 8" sq cake mould and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C. Leave to cool then cut into 12 rectangles.

Linkies

We Should CocoaYou still have until midnight on the 25th to get your chocolate and blueberry creations in. These blueberry and white chocolate flapjacks are my entry to this month’s We Should Cocoa using homegrown blueberries, though admittedly not my own.

Summertime Special is the theme for this month’s Treat Petite, hosted by CakeyBoi and The Baking Explorer alternately. These flapjacks, which use summer berries and are perfect fare for summertime picnics, fit right in.

As I used up half a tin of condensed milk that was lurking in the fridge and might otherwise have gone to waste, means I am sending this off to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted over at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these blueberry and white chocolate flapjacks, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

1. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

21st July 2015 at 10:06 am

Wow these look delish! You know I don’t think I’ve ever had blueberries with chocolate before! Clearly I need to rectify this…

Great tip on the net over the blueberry plant too. The berries on my plant are just starting to ripen and I hadn’t anticipated that the birds would try and steal them!!!

22nd July 2015 at 1:34 pm

The birds are always up for a good blueberry or two Emma – as it seems they are for gooseberries, red currants and strawberries – or is this just me?

• bakingaddict

22nd July 2015 at 9:44 pm

I can’t wait to grow my own berries once we sort the garden out as they are my favourite food. I’ve never had flapjacks with sesame seeds before – great idea!

23rd July 2015 at 9:37 pm

Ooh you’ve got a garden Ros? Have I missed something? Sounds like it. Topping my flapjacks with sesame seeds is my signature – I’ve been doing it for years.

2. Dom

21st July 2015 at 10:10 am

C these look so good. I’ve just handed my blueberry brownies out at the office and they went down a storm… I adore blueberries and chocolate, they are such a good combo. A great challenge this month! x

22nd July 2015 at 1:36 pm

I bet they went down a storm Dom. What an excellent way to bribe everyone in the office 😉

3. Kate @ Veggie Desserts

21st July 2015 at 11:06 am

Net curtain??? Genius!! I’ve always just lost all of my blueberries. This flapjack recipe is lovely!

22nd July 2015 at 1:37 pm

Oh no Kate, too late for net curtains this year, but maybe next.

4. Roz Goodgame

21st July 2015 at 11:08 am

i love white chocolate in dessert but never thought to go with something other that the classic raspberry or strawberry with them, thanks for the inspiration!

22nd July 2015 at 1:39 pm

White chocolate goes well with most fruits I’ve found Roz and work especially well when you want to keep the colour.

5. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

21st July 2015 at 11:43 am

That is funny because when I was looking for ideas for WSC I got very interested in these flapjacks and planned to make a blueberry and chocolate version but then I got distracted

22nd July 2015 at 1:46 pm

Ah but you got distracted with something that sounds rather delicious Johanna, although these flapjacks are definitely worth making.

6. Jo of Jo's Kitchen

21st July 2015 at 1:20 pm

I love the idea of using condensed milk in a flapjack recipe. I will have to give these ago

22nd July 2015 at 1:48 pm

It gives a softer fudgier texture Jo, which makes a nice change.

7. Angie@Angie's Recipes

22nd July 2015 at 10:46 am

I love the use of fresh fruits in bars. These flapjacks look very inviting, Choclette.

22nd July 2015 at 1:50 pm

Thanks Angie. Summer bakes just aren’t the same without fruit 🙂

8. Alida

22nd July 2015 at 3:24 pm

What a lovely cake. I have not baked with blueberries yet. Your are the best when it comes to bake with chocolate! Loving this!

23rd July 2015 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Alida 🙂 I’m guessing you don’t get blueberries in Italy.

9. Camilla

22nd July 2015 at 9:43 pm

Wow these look amazing Choclette and I’ve never had flapjacks with condensed milk but I bet it makes them even more lush!

23rd July 2015 at 9:36 pm

It does Camilla – gives them a slightly fudgy consistency.

10. Sarah

22nd July 2015 at 10:28 pm

Love the colour of the blueberries coming though there, just gorgeous. 🙂 I’ve never made flapjacks without golden syrup, but I like the idea that condemned milk makes them softer and chewier. Yum. 🙂

23rd July 2015 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Sarah. The CM does give a different texture, not better, but it makes a nice change.

11. suelle

23rd July 2015 at 2:13 pm

These sound interesting! I’ve got the blueberries, and bought some chocolate especially for WSC this month, but I fear I’m running out of time, especially as my husband wants a gooseberry crumble this weekend. I’m not sure we can cope with dessert and cake! I’ll do my best!

23rd July 2015 at 9:40 pm

Do hope you can manage it Suelle. I’m really busy at the moment and not likely to write up for a while, so a late entry is fine.

12. Brogan

23rd July 2015 at 10:51 pm

These look lovely. Great alternative to a chocolate bar! Haha x

24th July 2015 at 8:40 am

Nice to hear from you Brogan. I’m not sure I’d go quite that far though 😉

13. Heidi Roberts

26th July 2015 at 11:14 pm

Great ingredients for these flapjacks, love them all

27th July 2015 at 9:39 am

Thanks Heidi. Do you grow blueberries on your allotment?

14. Glamorous Glutton

27th July 2015 at 12:29 pm

Mr Glam would love these, a smidgin’ of white chocolate and he’s won over. They look delicious and very straightforward to make. GG

28th July 2015 at 1:01 pm

It seems as though Mr GG might have got lucky yesterday 😉

15. Karen

27th July 2015 at 12:31 pm

These look and sound utterly delectable and would make a great addition to the summer picnic basket too! Karen

28th July 2015 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Karen. These are most definitely a summer picnic item – just roll on the summer picnic weather!

16. Kecia

28th July 2015 at 5:34 pm

Choclette, these sound fantastic! I love the sesame seeds on top!

29th July 2015 at 9:18 pm

Thanks Kecia, flapjacks seem to be unique to the UK. Sprinkling sesame seeds on top is my particular signature – except when I forget!

17. Kate - gluten free alchemist

28th July 2015 at 10:19 pm

I adore fresh fruit flapjacks and a chocolate addition is definitely the way to go. Yum! I am loving the sesame seeds sprinkled over the top. Fab idea!!
    I didn’t get round to entering any challenges this month. Sorry!….. Where did July go?????

30th July 2015 at 1:40 pm

July has been crazy busy. We were meant to be going away today as it’s CTs birthday tomorrow, but we’ve both got too much going on, so will make do with a day trip somewhere tomorrow instead. I always sprinkle sesame seeds over my flapjacks – it’s become my “signature” thing!

18. Elizabeth

20th August 2015 at 10:32 am

Winter, I fear, has set in here and I could seriously go a tray of these right now! Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge 🙂

21st August 2015 at 11:22 am

Oh it’s really not on is it Elizabeth. Even here in mild Cornwall it’s been raining solid for three days now with storms predicted for the weekend – oh joy!