Gooseberry Galette

Gooseberry Galette

Tart, World Cuisine | 18th July 2015 | By

When I was given some gooseberries from my mother, my first thought was crumble – the weather had taken a turn for the worse and it was cold and wet. However, by the time I got around to actually using them, the weather had improved. Although a gooseberry fool or other such dessert might have been more appropriate, I had “baked gooseberry something” on my mind. A sudden flash of inspiration and gooseberry galette it was – both baked and summery.

Easy Flaky Pastry

Truth be told, pastry has not been on my list of favourite bakes. I like to eat it, but have rarely had much joy in making it. Until, that is, I tried one of Lindsey Bareham’s recipes from Pasties. My first attempt was a great success: rhubarb pasty pie. I’ve been using a half wholemeal spelt, half white flour variation on her pastry ever since. The key ingredient here is yoghurt: it produces a light buttery flaky pastry which is just fabulous.

Green Gooseberries

Rustic Gooseberry Galette

I’ve never made a galette before, let alone a gooseberry galette. How crazy, it’s so simple. This rustic French style of baking is very appealing, it’s simple, frugal and no pie dishes needed. The galette was exceptionally good, with a perfect balance of sweetness, tartness and satisfying flaky pastry. And no soggy bottom either. It was delicious warm, served with some blueberry cream and raspberries and was just as good on its own cold, two days later.

Gooseberry Galette

Gooseberry Galette – The Recipe

5 from 1 vote
Gooseberry Galette
Gooseberry Galette
Prep Time
30 mins
Cook Time
40 mins
Total Time
1 hr 10 mins

A simple rustic French gooseberry tart with the filling only partially covered by the delicious yet easy to make flaky pastry.
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: French
Keywords: galette, gooseberries, pastry, tart
Servings: 8
Author: Choclette
Pastry
  • 125 g wholemeal spelt flour
  • 125 g plain flour
  • 150 g unsalted butter
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 3 tbsp yoghurt
Filling
  • 300 g gooseberries
  • 60 g demerara sugar
  • a little milk for brushing
  1. Cut butter into flour and salt and either rub between finger tips or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  2. Stir in the yoghurt with a knife until the mixture comes together into a ball,
  3. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge or a cool place for ½ hr.
  4. Roll out on a floured surface into a rough circle to about 4mm in thickness.
  5. Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
  6. Lay the gooseberries over the pastry leaving about a 5 cm boarder.
  7. Sprinkle on all but 1 tbsp of the sugar.
  8. Fold the edges inward over the gooseberries, leaving the centre open.
  9. Brush the pastry edges with milk then sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
  10. Bake at 180℃ for 40 minutes when the gooseberries should be soft and the pastry crisp and golden.
Recipe Notes

Best served warm, but it's pretty good served cold the day after baking too.

Link-ups

• I’m entering this gooseberry galette into Jen’s Pastry Challenge which is all about quick pastries this month. It’s hosted alternately by Jen’s Food and United Cakedom.
  • With butter being the only “luxury” ingredient here, this makes for a frugal dessert, especially if you grow your own gooseberries or are lucky enough to be given some. This goes then to Fuss Free Flavours and FabFood4All for Credit Crunch Munch.
  • My gooseberry galette also goes to A Mummy Too for #RecipeOfTheWeek

Other gooseberry recipes you might like

Gooseberry Galette. PIN IT.

Gooseberry Galette. An easy to make rustic French tart made with wholemeal spelt flaky pastry. #gooseberries #tart #flakypastry #wholemealpastry #easy

1. Sammie

18th July 2015 at 12:45 pm

Ooh love, love, love gooseberries. Gorgeously tart and green. Really like your spin on the pastry will give this a go – might have to use rhubarb as gooseberries can be a bit tricky to get hold of (but I will try). Lovely recipe, super post. Sammie

19th July 2015 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Sammie. I bet rhubarb would taste delicious, but not sure how watery they might get. Give it a go and let me know 🙂

2. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

18th July 2015 at 2:15 pm

that pastry looks fantastic – I made a galette earlier this year and loved it – must make more – though not so likely to have gooseberries in my kitchen as they are a rare find in the supermarkets and I don’t know if people grow them locally

19th July 2015 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Johanna, it really is good pastry. I suspect Melbourne would be too hot for gooseberries. I’m wondering what fruit to try next.

3. Dom

18th July 2015 at 3:00 pm

crazy simple but it has it’s own rustic elegance… I love pastry and this looks so good C. I got back from Mallorca yesterday expecting a bumper crop of purple gooseberries but they were ALL gone. Pesky birds!

19th July 2015 at 9:14 pm

Oh no Dom. I remember you making something fabulous with them last year, although I can’t quite remember precisely what ….!

4. Riz @ Chocolates & Chai

18th July 2015 at 7:45 pm

I’ve never tried gooseberries before but I’ve had a lot of lovely galettes. I’m sure it’s a delicious combination! The blueberry cream in your photo looks gorgeous as well!

19th July 2015 at 10:01 pm

Ah thanks Riz. It was so much nicer than I was expecting, i shall be making them all the time now. I was going to do a post on my blueberry cream as it was awesome 😉

5. Penelope

18th July 2015 at 8:34 pm

I didn’t realise a galette would be so easy whilst being so impressive! Now I just need to try to make the pastry dairy free.

19th July 2015 at 10:02 pm

Oh yes Penelope, it would be great to have a vegan version. Let me know if you do one.

6. Helen @ family-friends-food.com

18th July 2015 at 9:50 pm

Looks gorgeous! I have a punnet of gooseberries in the fridge… just need to decide what to do with them 🙂

20th July 2015 at 8:10 pm

Easy Helen, make a galette 😉

18th July 2015 at 9:59 pm

ooh I love a gooseberry, it’s that tart/sweet thing a bit like rhubarb! Your Galette looks so good.

19th July 2015 at 10:03 pm

With you totally on the tart sweet thing Janice, though couldn’t stand it as a child.

8. Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry

19th July 2015 at 8:27 am

I am a huge fan of galettes and gooseberry and duh me had not even clicked on putting them together. Nice one C.

19th July 2015 at 10:55 pm

Go for it Bintu, you won’t regret it 🙂

9. Jean

19th July 2015 at 9:18 am

What a lovely idea, love gooseberries and this looks delicious.

• Jean

19th July 2015 at 8:30 pm

I made it! It was delicious.

19th July 2015 at 11:02 pm

Whoop, whoop. So pleased you made it Jean. Thanks for letting me know. I’d make another one like a shot if we had more gooseberries.

19th July 2015 at 10:56 pm

Thanks Jean, it turned out even better than I was hoping.

10. Lucy @ BakingQueen74

19th July 2015 at 12:40 pm

Lovely! I haven’t made a galette either but they look so good. Loving gooseberries, shame the season is quite short for them. Thanks for linking to my jam and tart.

19th July 2015 at 10:56 pm

The short season makes them extra special Lucy and another good reason for making jam 😉

11. Susan

19th July 2015 at 1:43 pm

What a beautiful way to serve it! Love the ‘countrified’ look of this galette – that last photo issue tempting!

20th July 2015 at 8:09 pm

Thank you Susan. I’m glad you liked the photo, I wasn’t sure whether to include it or not.

12. the caked crusader

19th July 2015 at 3:25 pm

Gooseberries seem to have such a short season that blink and you miss them. Love how you’ve used them here – and nice to be able to see them rather than have them buried under crumble or pastry

19th July 2015 at 10:57 pm

Yes, it’s a good compromise CC and you get the best of both worlds 🙂

13. The VegHog

19th July 2015 at 4:38 pm

What a lovely recipe!

14. shaheen

19th July 2015 at 5:32 pm

Looks lovely and very unusual at the same time, makes for a fab change from crumble though. I miss growing gooseberries, as you know I had a bush in Glasgow when I had an allotment. I haven’t seen any in Wales, or maybe I am not looking hard enough. I plan to get a bush for the garden.

19th July 2015 at 11:01 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen gooseberries for sale Shaheen. We have four bushes, but the birds got pretty much everything 🙁

15. nadia

19th July 2015 at 9:58 pm

I’ve never tried gooseberries in baking/cooking but this looks so delicious! The pastry looks perfect! I struggle with pastry 😛 It’s also to know it’s healthier with the addition of wholemeal flour. Yum!

19th July 2015 at 11:04 pm

I struggled with pastry for years too. I used to use 100% wholemeal flour, but could never get it to hold together. The half and half is a good compromise and the addition of yoghurt makes it easy to work and turns it into the best pastry ever 😉

16. Heidi Roberts

20th July 2015 at 10:18 pm

Gooseberries look so fresh and summery and this year has been a great year for them.

21st July 2015 at 9:21 am

Do you grow them on your allotment Heidi? The birds certainly thought it was a good year – they ate all of ours!

17. Debi

21st July 2015 at 6:46 am

You have saved the day! I was wondering how to use the last of my gooseberries + I had just made a batch of Pasta Frolla (Italian sweet pastry). This galette/crostata sounds perfect!

21st July 2015 at 9:23 am

Hooray, that’s fortuitous Debi 🙂 I hadn’t realised the Italians did a similar thing, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

18. Karen

21st July 2015 at 9:41 am

I love my gooseberries and my recent recipe for Pink Gooseberry and Elderflower Jam was a HUGE hit in the Lavender and Lovage household! This galette looks amazing, and as you know, I am a BIG fan of this easy easy French pastry! Karen

22nd July 2015 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Karen. Gooseberries are a much underrated fruit I reckon. As you know I love gooseberry jam and I had a feeling you would approve of this rustic style of using them.

19. Eb Gargano

21st July 2015 at 11:33 am

Oooh this does look good. I love freeform tarts like this. They are so simple and yet they ooze rustic charm. My kind of recipe!

22nd July 2015 at 1:41 pm

It sounds like it would be well up your street Eb. They ooze rustic charm AND are sooooo delicious.

20. Janie

21st July 2015 at 2:00 pm

Great dessert Choocy, think I may have to nip out the garden and grab me some goosegogs 🙂
    Janie x

22nd July 2015 at 1:49 pm

Get there quick Janie, those pesky birds are on fine form this year 😉

21. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

22nd July 2015 at 10:48 am

Oh I love gooseberries and this looks so good! We have some gooseberries that are nearly ready in the garden I must try this recipe x #recipeoftheweek

22nd July 2015 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Kirsty, do give it a go. I reckon it’s one of the best things I’ve made this year.

22. Alida

22nd July 2015 at 3:28 pm

Simple and delicious, the perfect gallette. Not familiar with gooseberries I need to give them a try.
    Berries taste so much better in the UK than the ones I can find in my region in Northern Italy (unless you pick wild ones in the woods). I think they are more mass produced over there.

23rd July 2015 at 9:35 pm

Thats interesting to hear about Italian berries. I always thing we must be so much more mass produced than anything grown in Italy. Gooseberries are very different to other fruit, but they have a good flavour.

23. Kate - gluten free alchemist

28th July 2015 at 10:12 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of gooseberries (or goosgogs as we knew them as a child), but the pastry sounds really interesting. I’ve never tried adding yoghurt, but it may work really well in GF pastry…. will have to give it a try!

30th July 2015 at 1:38 pm

Ooh yes do give it a try and let me know how it works. I find it gives the pastry a wonderfully flaky quality. We still do call them goosgogs and I love them, though was never very keen as a child.

24. Camilla

1st August 2015 at 3:16 pm

I am a recent convert to gooseberries not having seen them for virtually decades. I made a Tarte Tatin the other day which was delicious so I know your galette would have been fabulous:-) Thank you for entering #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

1st August 2015 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Camilla. A gooseberry tarte tatin sounds wonderful too. I was never keen as a child, but I love them now.

25. Jen

7th August 2015 at 11:06 pm

I’ve never used yoghurt in pastry before, must give that a go, oddly enough I’ve also never made a galette, that must be put right very soon! Love this rustic looking gooseberry galette, a great way to celebrate a seasonal fruit. Thanks for sharing with The Pastry Challenge 🙂

8th August 2015 at 9:40 am

Thanks Jen. Galettes would have been a good one when your were doing your French challenge – it might have made me try one a lot earlier. The pastry is the best 🙂

26. Helen @Fuss Free Flavours

1st September 2015 at 6:00 pm

A lovely galette, and I do love the mix of flours in the pastry. A very belated thanks for sharing with #creditcrunchmunch

1st September 2015 at 10:28 pm

Thank Helen, it really is the best pastry – ever!