Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed – No Cooking Required

Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed

Pasta is one of those standbys that is perfect for meals in a hurry. I often make tomato sauce to go with pasta and add carrots and onions and any other vegetables I happen to have around – parsnips work well. The other day, I was in even more of a hurry than usual and so I thought I’d try blending a raw tomato sauce instead. I was a little surprised at just how good this quick tomato sauce with seaweed was.

Seaweed

In went the usual suspects, a large carrot, garlic, herbs from the garden and a tin of tomatoes. I didn’t add an onion as I thought that would be a bit much, but I did add a little seaweed. Seaweed is full of all sorts of nutrients and I often add it to soups and stews, but never to a raw sauce before. My favourite variety is dulse, a purple seaweed which is quite tender and mildly flavoured. Living near the Cornish coast, means we are able to collect our own.

Froothie High Speed Blenders

My high speed Froothie Optimum 9200 blender is a powerful beast indeed and made short work of blending the ingredients to an ultra smooth sauce, including the carrot and seaweed. You might like to read my Optimum 9200A high speed blender review to find out more.

6 August 2018 update. Since writing this post Froothie now have a splendid vacuum blender. This means I can now make this quick tomato sauce with seaweed and heat it at the same time in the blender. Yes, you heard right. The blender doesn’t have a heating element, but heats by friction. Blend for six minutes and not only is the sauce silky smooth, but it’s hotter than you can eat too. Read my review to find out more about this fabulous Optimum Vac 2 Air Vacuum Blender.

Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed

Mixed into hot pasta with a bit of grated cheese on top, this quick tomato sauce with seaweed made for a speedy and tasty meal. The sauce took less than 5 minutes to make from start to finish. I’m waiting for the tomato season now, because as good as this sauce was, how much better would it be with fresh ripe tomatoes?

5 from 1 vote
Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed
Quick Tomato Sauce
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

A super speedy no-cook tomato sauce for hot pasta made in a blender. Added carrots and seaweed give extra flavour as well as nutrients and there's chilli for a bit of heat.

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: British
Keywords: no-cook, pasta, quick, seaweed, tomato sauce
Servings: 4 people
Author: Choclette
  • 1 400 g tin of tomatoes
  • 1 large organic carrot - scrubbed but not peeled and roughly chopped.
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • leaves from 3 sprigs thyme
  • a small piece of dried dulse about the size of dessertspoon
  • half a red chilli optional
  • a dash of tamari gluten free soy sauce
  • a glug of extra virgin olive oil
  1. Throw all ingredients into a high speed blender and blitz on fast for about 30 seconds (I put mine on the 35 second cycle, whilst grating cheese for the pasta). nb if you have a soup facility you can blend for 6 mins or so until piping hot.

2. Stir into hot pasta and top with cheese if desired.
Recipe Notes

Can also be easily heated in a pan if desired.

Other tomato sauce recipes you might like

Linkies

1. With the lovely spring herbs of thyme and chives in this recipe, I’m sending my quick tomato sauce with seaweed off to Karen of Lavender and Lovage for Cooking with Herbs.
  2. With the carrot slipped into the sauce, I reckon it qualifies for #ExtraVeg which is being hosted at Jo’s Kitchen this month on behalf of Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families.
  3. Family Foodies is all about Italian food this month and as tomato sauce to eat with pasta is about as Italian as it gets, even if they might not recognise this particular one, I’m crossing fingers and hope it will be accepted over at Bangers & Mash and Eat Your Veg.
  4. This also goes to Jac’s brand new blogging event Meat Free Mondays over at Tinned Tomatoes.
Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed. PIN IT.

Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed. Easy no-cook sauce which is perfect for pasta. #recipe #tomatosauce #blendersauce #seaweed

This post contains affiliate links to Froothie Optimum products. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blythe and blogging.

1. Anita-Clare Field

26th April 2015 at 10:14 am

Yes please, I LOVE the look of this and have been looking for something new to toss through my courgette and mooli noodles tomorrow. Fantastic !

27th April 2015 at 5:02 pm

I hope you like it Anita-Clare. Let me know what you think.

2. Karen

26th April 2015 at 10:22 am

YES please too – LOVE anything seaweed and what a great recipe to use in your froothie machine!

27th April 2015 at 5:04 pm

Ah yes Karen, the wonderful froothie. I wonder how I managed without it. Seaweed is a much underused resource and I have to confess, I tend to put it on our vegetables beds rather than in our soups! I need to remember to use it more.

3. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

26th April 2015 at 10:23 am

My OH makes a lovely raw tomato sauce in the summer and I really love it. I will ask him about adding in seaweed next.

27th April 2015 at 5:06 pm

You have a remarkable OH Bintu. I have a fantastic raw tomato sauce recipe too, given to me by my Italian sister-in-law. This was the first time I’ve ever used tinned tomatoes in such a way.

26th April 2015 at 7:59 pm

That sounds really good, you are making some lovely recipes in your froothie.

27th April 2015 at 5:07 pm

Thanks Janice, it’s a rather splendid machine that is just begging to be used.

5. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

27th April 2015 at 12:56 pm

I’ve almost given up on ideas for some dried dulse I have so this is great to have a nice regular dish I can try it in. Would love to go dulse gathering in Cornwall – sounds very rustic and traditional

27th April 2015 at 5:10 pm

Haha Johanna. Rustic is the word, mostly we are down on the beach with our wellies heaving seaweed into sacks to take back for our vegetable beds. But when I see a nice piece of dulce I save it and treat it a bit differently 😉 I used seaweed quite a bit in soups and stews, but was rather pleased with the inspiration to use it in this sauce.

6. Alida

27th April 2015 at 3:09 pm

Dear Choclette,
    I like your tomato sauce and I the idea of adding seaweed is really good! A nice twist to the recipe.
    And the fact that it is so quick to make is a real bonus. I like your new site. Great job!

27th April 2015 at 5:11 pm

Thank you Alida, my site is getting there, but still has much work to do on it. Really pleased you like it. Given that I’ve messed around with an Italian classic, it’s very good of you to be so generous 😉

7. Angie@Angie's Recipes

27th April 2015 at 5:39 pm

Is it a sin wanting to drink the whole bowl of sauce off? It looks very delicious!

27th April 2015 at 6:38 pm

Definitely not a sin Angie, but it’s quite strong, so you would probably want to dilute it with something.

8. sarah clegg

27th April 2015 at 5:58 pm

oooooh we are on a meal plan i have never thought of trying seaweed b4 might be worth a go though 😉

27th April 2015 at 6:39 pm

Definitely worth a go Sarah, Seaweed is meant to be quite good for us.

9. Stephanie

27th April 2015 at 7:00 pm

i’ve never thought of adding seaweed to a sauce but this looks and sounds delicious – thanks for sharing x

27th April 2015 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Stephanie. It’s always useful I find to have something that can be made in a trice.

10. Vanesther - Bangers & Mash

27th April 2015 at 9:11 pm

What a wonderful raw sauce for pasta, so tasty and so simple too. Don’t care what the Italians think – I love the look of this! A perfect entry for the #FamilyFoodies challenge 🙂

27th April 2015 at 9:26 pm

Haha, you maverick Vanesther – glad you approve 😉

11. Helen @Fuss Free Flavours

14th May 2015 at 3:47 pm

This is such a good idea, I am a huge fan of seaweed, so so delicious and adaptable. I use it all the time. Thank you linking up to ExtraVeg

14th May 2015 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Helen. I’m not very adventurous with seaweed, though I do use it in soups, stews and curries a lot.

12. Nayna Kanabar

14th May 2015 at 7:59 pm

What a lovely tomato sauce, I really like the twist on adding the sea weed, apart from the fried variety in Chinese restaurants I have never tried it.

15th May 2015 at 9:07 am

Seaweed is packed full of nutrients Nayna, so it’s a useful addition to have. Generally the stuff you get in Chinese restaurants is cabbage not seaweed.

13. Elizabeth

16th May 2015 at 4:27 pm

It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of seaweed! I love this recipe! Fantastic! 🙂

16th May 2015 at 6:02 pm

That’s probably just as well Elizabeth, you must have a ready supply up there. Thank you 🙂

14. Camilla

7th July 2015 at 10:57 am

What a fab easy recipe, just one question, do you really blitz it for 30 minutes?

7th July 2015 at 1:21 pm

Eek, thanks for pointing that out Camilla, I have just corrected it.