Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed – No Cooking Required
Pasta is one of those standbys that is perfect for meals in a hurry. I often make tomato sauce to go with pasta and add carrots and onions and any other vegetables I happen to have around – parsnips work well. The other day, I was in even more of a hurry than usual and so I thought I’d try blending a raw tomato sauce instead. I was a little surprised at just how good this quick tomato sauce with seaweed was.
In went the usual suspects, a large carrot, garlic, herbs from the garden and a tin of tomatoes. I didn’t add an onion as I thought that would be a bit much, but I did add a little seaweed. Seaweed is full of all sorts of nutrients and I often add it to soups and stews, but never to a raw sauce before. My favourite variety is dulse, a purple seaweed which is quite tender and mildly flavoured. Living near the Cornish coast, means we are able to collect our own.
Froothie High Speed Blenders
My high speed Froothie Optimum 9200 blender is a powerful beast indeed and made short work of blending the ingredients to an ultra smooth sauce, including the carrot and seaweed. You might like to read my Optimum 9200A high speed blender review to find out more.
6 August 2018 update. Since writing this post Froothie now have a splendid vacuum blender. This means I can now make this quick tomato sauce with seaweed and heat it at the same time in the blender. Yes, you heard right. The blender doesn’t have a heating element, but heats by friction. Blend for six minutes and not only is the sauce silky smooth, but it’s hotter than you can eat too. Read my review to find out more about this fabulous Optimum Vac 2 Air Vacuum Blender.
Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed
Mixed into hot pasta with a bit of grated cheese on top, this quick tomato sauce with seaweed made for a speedy and tasty meal. The sauce took less than 5 minutes to make from start to finish. I’m waiting for the tomato season now, because as good as this sauce was, how much better would it be with fresh ripe tomatoes?
Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 400 g tin of tomatoes
- 1 large organic carrot - scrubbed but not peeled and roughly chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic
- leaves from 3 sprigs thyme
- a small piece of dried dulse about the size of dessertspoon
- half a red chilli optional
- a dash of tamari gluten free soy sauce
- a glug of extra virgin olive oil
- Throw all ingredients into a high speed blender and blitz on fast for about 30 seconds (I put mine on the 35 second cycle, whilst grating cheese for the pasta). nb if you have a soup facility you can blend for 6 mins or so until piping hot.
- Stir into hot pasta and top with cheese if desired.
Other tomato sauce recipes you might like
- Courgette sweetcorn fritters with chilli tomato sauce
- Green veggie meatballs in tomato sauce
- Stuffed red peppers in tomato sauce
- Vegan rice bowl with smoked tomato sauce
- With the lovely spring herbs of thyme and chives in this recipe, I’m sending my quick tomato sauce with seaweed off to Karen of Lavender and Lovage for Cooking with Herbs.
- With the carrot slipped into the sauce, I reckon it qualifies for #ExtraVeg which is being hosted at Jo’s Kitchen this month on behalf of Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families.
- Family Foodies is all about Italian food this month and as tomato sauce to eat with pasta is about as Italian as it gets, even if they might not recognise this particular one, I’m crossing fingers and hope it will be accepted over at Bangers & Mash and Eat Your Veg.
- This also goes to Jac’s brand new blogging event Meat Free Mondays over at Tinned Tomatoes.
Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed. PIN IT.
This post contains affiliate links to Froothie Optimum products. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blythe and blogging.